From: Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă on
Thierry Chatelet wrote:

> So, I guess you are better to switch now to UUID, it should solve your
> problem, and give you a head on future changes.
> Thierry

As I said in one of my previous posts, udev will not create
/dev/sdaX, nor their counterpart using names or uuid. So I
can't do that.

My previous post was premature, if I restore /dev/sdaX using tar,
I can only use the console. X can't make use of the keyboard or mouse.
/edv/eth0 also doesn't exist, althought the interface is up, etc.
It looks like all /dev/ is screwed up!

So I will install from scratch.

Ionel

On Monday 12 April 2010 12:59:28 Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă wrote:
> Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă wrote:
> > Hi,

From debian-development-announce:
linux-2.6/linux-base libata transition
New drivers using 'libata' are about to replace the old IDE
drivers. linux-base will prompt you on x86 to upgrade your
configuration files (fstab, bootloader) to refer to stable UUIDs
instead of unpredictable device names.

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 07:59:19 -0400 (EDT), Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă wrote:

> My previous post was premature, if I restore /dev/sdaX using tar,
> I can only use the console. X can't make use of the keyboard or mouse.
> /edv/eth0 also doesn't exist, althought the interface is up, etc.
> It looks like all /dev/ is screwed up!
>
> So I will install from scratch.

Once again, as I suggested in a previous post, I'd use the latest
"daily-build" installer to directly install Squeeze, such as

http://people.debian.org/~joeyh/d-i/images/daily/netboot/mini.iso for i386 or
http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/amd64/daily/netboot/mini.iso for amd64

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com>
: :' :