From: Paul E Condon on
On 20100411_005025, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Paul E Condon put forth on 4/10/2010 11:41 PM:
>
> > So, the fact that my WD drives don't play well with S.M.A.R.T doesn't
> > make them special, and I should not spend much, if any, time looking
> > for a USB solution. What other options are there for external HD?
>
> You're got 3 USB hard drives already, and you're throwing them out and
> looking for another solution, just because they don't do S.M.A.R.T? If
> neither USB nor firewire do smart, you choices are very limited.

Well, the sad story is that I don't really want to do S.M.A.R.T. I was
experiencing disk errors on the drives which caused something in the
kernel to throw a fit. When this happened, the only recovery I could
find was to reboot. This is slow and not really a way to learn how to
fix the problem. So I ask for advice on this list. I work down the
list of suggestions, not having much success, and arrive at
smartctl. But now we know that that doesn't work for reasons that I
might have known if I had read the whole of wikipedia and had total
recall --- but I hadn't and I don't.

Since my last post, I have succeeded in doing a successful, error
free, backup to each of the disks. One notable fact about all the
errors is that after reboot it would appear that no data was lost and
the backup could be resumed from where it advanced to just before the
crash. The only thing that I can think that I did differently in these
new successful runs is that I did not sit at the computer and
watch. Can software detect being watched? I think not, but ...

My reading about eSATA gives me suspicion that it has its own poorly
documented problems. I'm not convinced that I cannot make USB work
without S.M.A.R.T, but I really don't have any good ideas as to
how. And now, without errors happening fairly frequently, I doubt that
I will be able to test and debug any approach that I dream up.

> The only other realistic option I know of is eSATA, but a quick scan of
> Newegg shows only 6 devices total, 2 DVR expander drives and 4 eSATA RAID
> enclosures. I have no idea if the DVR expander drives will work with a
> standard PC setup. They "should". The two DVR drives are both 1TB and both
> just under $130 USD, one Iomega and one Western Digital:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822186175
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136384
>
> Are you planning on connecting this drive to a laptop or desktop? To
> multiple computers or just one computer?

This is for a LAN of desktop systems, three computers in all. One
computer acts as a collector of backups from the itself and the other
two, and is responsible for getting the files onto an external drive
in a timely way.

All of the computers are hand-me-downs. None have eSATA capability. So
far I have not convinced myself that spending money would help solve
the problem. Perhaps in a few years, computers with eSATA will start
showing up in dumpsters. Maybe I should just wait.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon(a)mesanetworks.net

Paul E Condon put forth on 4/11/2010 4:40 PM:

> All of the computers are hand-me-downs. None have eSATA capability. So
> far I have not convinced myself that spending money would help solve
> the problem. Perhaps in a few years, computers with eSATA will start
> showing up in dumpsters. Maybe I should just wait.

Hand-me-downs aren't well known for their reliability, especially if they
weren't, ahem, treated/handled properly during the decommissioning process.

If these external USB hard drives were new-in-box, I'd suspect the USB
cables/interface more than I would the new drives. I assume you've swapped
the USB cables?

If you're powering the external USB drives via the USB cable, DON'T. Plug
in the wall wart transformer to power the drives. You could be having
issues with dirty/insufficient power on the USB cable to the drive.

Have you purchased and installed a ~$10 PCI USB 2.0 card, loaded the
drivers, and tested the reliability of the drives with the PCI USB card? If
not, I'd recommend that as your next step.

--
Stan

Celejar wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 22:06:06 -0600
> Paul E Condon <pecondon(a)mesanetworks.net> wrote:

>> I got a little less timid and tried running smartctl even though I was
>> quite unsure of what to expect. It ran. Each of the three USB HD gave
>> somewhat different output, but none gave output that claimed there was
>> a working SMART on the drive. These drives are Western Digital (WD).
>> The WD web site mentions SMART and also uses the words Smart Drive to
>> mean something else that is a proprietary marketing thing, AFAICT. I
>> was unable to find a list of part #s for drives that support S.M.A.R.T.
>>
>> I think I should be in the market for a better class of drives, but not
>> this weekend. Thanks for the help.
>
> My understanding is that S.M.A.R.T. doesn't generally work over USB.
> As Wikipedia puts it:
>
> For example, few external drives connected via USB and Firewire
> correctly send S.M.A.R.T. data over those interfaces.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#Standards_and_implementation

I can use smart on my USB drive enclosure with an ATA drive but not with
my USB drive enclosure with a SATA drive.

Hugo

On 20100412_152156, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Celejar wrote:
> >On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 22:06:06 -0600
> >Paul E Condon <pecondon(a)mesanetworks.net> wrote:

> >>I got a little less timid and tried running smartctl even though I was
> >>quite unsure of what to expect. It ran. Each of the three USB HD gave
> >>somewhat different output, but none gave output that claimed there was
> >>a working SMART on the drive. These drives are Western Digital (WD).
> >>The WD web site mentions SMART and also uses the words Smart
> >>Drive to mean something else that is a proprietary marketing
> >>thing, AFAICT. I
> >>was unable to find a list of part #s for drives that support S.M.A.R.T.
> >>
> >>I think I should be in the market for a better class of drives, but not
> >>this weekend. Thanks for the help.
> >
> >My understanding is that S.M.A.R.T. doesn't generally work over USB.
> >As Wikipedia puts it:
> >
> >For example, few external drives connected via USB and Firewire
> >correctly send S.M.A.R.T. data over those interfaces.
> >
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.#Standards_and_implementation
> >

> I can use smart on my USB drive enclosure with an ATA drive but not
> with my USB drive enclosure with a SATA drive.
>
> Hugo

Very interesting --- but

My quick googling reveals many USB drive enclosures for both ATA and SATA
but the marketers don't make mention of S.M.A.R.T . What is the brand of
your enclosure. I want to look for it, in particular, and see if it claims
the feature that you have discovered. Actually, on looking a little more
closely, I'm not seeing any case of a single enclosure that can be used
with both ATA and SATA. Do I read your post correctly - your enclosure can
contain either a SATA or an ATA, and work over USB? But SMART only works
when it is enclosing an ATA?