From: Dotan Cohen on
> What I don't understand is why Ubuntu users *post* here, when they
> actually run Ubuntu.

I run Ubuntu and regularly read the Debian list, so maybe I can answer.

If I need to know where is the menus Firefox is, or how to change my
wallpaper, the Ubuntu list is fine. But nobody there understands
_anything_ about the OS. That is fine, the target audience of Ubuntu
is not technical users. The barrier to entry is very low. My
74-year-old mother in law uses Kubuntu.

So if the Debian support is so great, why do I run Ubuntu and not
Debian? Several reasons. One, the low barrier to entry means that I
can get a system up and running in no time flat. Twice a year, 20
minutes and I've got the latest and greatest software versions. Debian
still needs tweaking for my problematic video card, and some other
really small details. But the biggest reason that I run Ubuntu is to
promote it. I have done tens of installs for friends, neighbours, and
family. I need to be familiar with what they are running. Debian just
needs a bit too much work, a bit too much handholding, and a bit too
much explaining things.

So while my heart is with Debian, I run the best Debian derivative out there.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 6:37 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> [snip]
> But the biggest reason that I run Ubuntu is to
> promote it. I have done tens of installs for friends, neighbours, and
> family. I need to be familiar with what they are running. Debian just
> needs a bit too much work, a bit too much handholding, and a bit too
> much explaining things.

Interesting. This is the opposite of my experience, where I started friends
out on Ubuntu as a way to break them into Linux but they found the amount of
updates annoying, and there were some instability issues at different
times. So I switched them to Lenny - sure it took a little more to set up,
but now it is *set up* and stays that way, unlike my/their experiences with
Ubuntu. It's pretty much zero maintenance for me, unlike when they had
Ubuntu on their computers. 5 updates a week, if that many? I'll take it.

Plus, if I can use a non-company based OS that won't install, for example,
Ubuntu One, without my choice to not install it, I'll choose that path. I
was kinda disappointed to see Ubuntu starting to include bloatware in their
last few releases, just my experience though.

Mark
From: Dotan Cohen on
> Interesting.  This is the opposite of my experience, where I started friends
> out on Ubuntu as a way to break them into Linux but they found the amount of
> updates annoying, and there were some instability issues at different
> times.  So I switched them to Lenny - sure it took a little more to set up,
> but now it is set up and stays that way, unlike my/their experiences with
> Ubuntu.  It's pretty much zero maintenance for me, unlike when they had
> Ubuntu on their computers.  5 updates a week, if that many?  I'll take it.
>
> Plus, if I can use a non-company based OS that won't install, for example,
> Ubuntu One, without my choice to not install it, I'll choose that path.  I
> was kinda disappointed to see Ubuntu starting to include bloatware in their
> last few releases, just my experience though.

Stability issues and updates are the reasons that I switched _to_
Ubuntu! Before that it was the early Fedoras. I still think that my
favourite two Linux OSes were Fedora Core 3 and Ubuntu Feisty.

Maybe I will give Squeeze a round before my next install. I've last
tested only Lenny.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

> For some reason, this well-known proverb is going through my head:
>
>   Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
>   Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
>
> I'd rather learn to fish.

In this case it's:

Take a rope off their necks and you save him today. (get him off Windows)
Try to teach him what to do with a better rope and he will call you
twice a day for the next four years (install Debian for him)
Give him a rope made for babies and you'll both be happy (install Ubuntu)

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Bob McGowan <bob_mcgowan(a)symantec.com> wrote:
> On 04/08/2010 07:17 AM, Stephen Powell wrote:

>>> Yes they do, and in fact I find them helpful even though I'm running
>>> Debian :-)
>>
>> I have occasionally found a solution to a problem I'm having on Debian
>> by searching the internet and finding the solution posted on an Ubuntu
>> forum.  But I never *post* there because I run Debian, not Ubuntu.
>> What I don't understand is why Ubuntu users *post* here, when they
>> actually run Ubuntu.  According to the OP of this thread, he posted here
>> because he posted on the Ubuntu forums first and no-one answered.
>> I wonder how common that is, and why.  Ubuntu alleges a larger installed
>
> --gone:-)
>

> I run Ubuntu on my laptop, because I got tired of the manual Nvidia
> setup every time the kernel changed.
Currently:
# m-a a-i nvidia-kernel
# aptitude install nvidia-glx
# /etc/init.d/gdm restart

I think this is acceptable when kernel change. Maybe dkms could do the
think better

Regards,