From: Tim Little on
On 2009-11-27, LauLuna <laureanoluna(a)yahoo.es> wrote:
> First note that what the relevant equivalence class is, is already
> determinate at all 1/n points.
>
> Then assume that at any 1/n point I construct it -by guessing at
> random the future results- iff I haven't constructed it at any 1/m
> with m>n.

Hence you contradict your original strategy which specified that you
guess at random at every 1/n point. This new strategy is exactly the
AC strategy. It cannot be proven in ZF alone that there exists a set
of representatives covering all equivalence classes, so the strategy
can fail if AC is not assumed.

> As I see it, the essential paradox here is that the relevant
> equivalence class is already fixed at each 1/n point, so that no
> toss contributes to its determination.

Have you seen the "infinite line of prisoners with hats" version
illustrating the same use of AC? In this version, there is an queue
of prisoners, having a back of the queue but extendingly infinitely
forward. Each prisoner can see all the colours of hats worn by those
ahead.

Their task is to guess their own hat colour; if only finitely many
guess incorrectly, they all go free. They get to confer beforehand,
but cannot communicate with each other in any way after the hats are
placed on their heads, and they only get one guess.

In this formulation, there is no question of inheritance or tasks that
cannot be begun.

- Tim
From: William Hughes on
On Nov 26, 4:51 pm, WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
> On 26 Nov., 19:22, William Hughes <wpihug...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Only in Wolkenmuekenheim.  Outside of Wolkenmuekenheim
> > you will have an empty set.
>
> Besides your assertion, you have arguments too, don't you?
> In particular you can explain, how the empty set will emerge while
> throughout the whole time the minimum contents of the vase is 1 ball?

Since outside of Wolkenmuekenheim there is no reason to
expect the number of balls to be continuous at infinity
outside of Wolkenmuekenheim there is no problem.

Inside of Wolkenmuekenheim we can use "logic" like

All FISONS have a fixed last element.
N does not have a fixed last element.
N is a FISON

and prove anything.

- William Hughes
From: A on
On Nov 26, 3:51 pm, WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
> On 26 Nov., 19:22, William Hughes <wpihug...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 26, 12:24 pm, WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
>
> > > Here is another interesting task: Use balls representing the positive
> > > rationals. The first time fill in one ball. Then fill in always 100
> > > balls and remove 100 balls, leaving inside the ball representing the
> > > smallest of the 101 rationals.
>
> > [at random with any measure that gives a positive probability
> > to each rational]
>
> Simply take the first, seconde, third ... Centuria according to
> Cantor's well-ordering of the positive rationals. Then there is no
> need for considering any probabilities.
>

> > > If you get practical experience, you
> > > will accomplish every Centuria in half time. So after a short while
> > > you will have found the smallest positive rational.
>
> > Only in Wolkenmuekenheim.  Outside of Wolkenmuekenheim
> > you will have an empty set.
>
> Besides your assertion, you have arguments too, don't you?
> In particular you can explain, how the empty set will emerge while
> throughout the whole time the minimum contents of the vase is 1 ball?
>
> Regards, WM

Let S denote a set with exactly 101 elements. Let Q+ denote the
positive rational numbers. Let inj(S,Q+) denote the set of injective
functions from S to Q+. Let {x_n} denote a sequence of elements of inj
(S,Q+) with the following properties:

1. Let im x_n denote the image of x_n. Then the union of im x_n for
all n is all of Q+.

2. For any n, the intersection of im x_n with im x_(n+1) consists of
exactly one element, which is the minimal element (in the standard
ordering on Q+) in im x_n.

Let X denote the subset of Q+ defined as follows: a positive rational
number x is in X if and only if there exists some positive integer N
such that, for all M > N, x is in the image of x_M.

We are talking about X, right? This is the set of balls which I, and
others, claim is empty, and WM claims is non-empty? Or does WM dispute
one of the definitions above?
From: WM on
On 27 Nov., 01:40, LauLuna <laureanol...(a)yahoo.es> wrote:
> On Nov 26, 5:24 pm, WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
>
> > Of course the game is only possible, if there is an actual infinity
> > waiting to be finished. --- And that points to the final period of
> > mathematics.
>
> Yes, but that existence is not enough for the game to become possible.

But it is enough for the game to be discussed as I did. The result is
that the result is impossible (must be empty set but cannot be empty
set). And that is the same as in case of any bijection including an
infinite set like N or Q or both.

Regards, WM
From: WM on
On 27 Nov., 03:50, A <anonymous.rubbert...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 26, 3:51 pm, WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > > [at random with any measure that gives a positive probability
> > > to each rational]
>
> > Simply take the first, seconde, third ... Centuria according to
> > Cantor's well-ordering of the positive rationals. Then there is no
> > need for considering any probabilities.

> > > Only in Wolkenmuekenheim.  Outside of Wolkenmuekenheim
> > > you will have an empty set.
>
> > Besides your assertion, you have arguments too, don't you?
> > In particular you can explain, how the empty set will emerge while
> > throughout the whole time the minimum contents of the vase is 1 ball?
>
> > Regards, WM
>
> Let S denote a set with exactly 101 elements. Let Q+ denote the
> positive rational numbers. Let inj(S,Q+) denote the set of injective
> functions from S to Q+. Let {x_n} denote a sequence of elements of inj
> (S,Q+) with the following properties:
>
> 1. Let im x_n denote the image of x_n. Then the union of im x_n for
> all n is all of Q+.
>
> 2. For any n, the intersection of im x_n with im x_(n+1) consists of
> exactly one element, which is the minimal element (in the standard
> ordering on Q+) in im x_n.
>
> Let X denote the subset of Q+ defined as follows: a positive rational
> number x is in X if and only if there exists some positive integer N
> such that, for all M > N, x is in the image of x_M.
>
> We are talking about X, right?

We are talking about a vase which is never emptied completely!

Hence it cannot be empty unless "infinity" is identical to "never".
But this describes potential infinity and excludes phantasies like
Cantor's finished diagonal number.

Regards, WM

Regards, WM