From: WM on
On 27 Nov., 18:50, William Hughes <wpihug...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 1:32 pm, WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
>
> > So all steps have been done whereas the last is pending.
>
> Nope.  Outside of Wolkenmeukenheim
> we can do all steps without doing a last step  So all steps
> have been done,  however there is no last step so the last
> is not pending.

Whatever you may think. If you wish to argue that the sequence of
balls has limt 0 then you are outside of mathematics. And there is no
need to further answer your "arguments".

Regards, WM
From: WM on
On 27 Nov., 18:55, A <anonymous.rubbert...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 12:36 pm, WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > > The set X described above is certainly the empty set, as one can
> > > easily prove, despite im x_n being nonempty for each n. This seems to
> > > be a rigorous statement of what you are describing by talking about
> > > balls, vases, etc. I have never seen any mention of "potential
> > > infinity" or "completed infinity" which is precise enough to even be
> > > considered mathematics,
>
> > Completed infinity is the same as actual infinity. You need it to
> > obtain a diagonal number. Without that the number would never get
> > finished.
>
> > Potential infinity is the infinity of mathematics. It has always been
> > used until matheology started.
>
> I do not know what "matheology" is

modern logic and set theory, a mixture between mathematics and
theology. The latter is prevailing.

, nor what "completed infinity,"
> "actual infinity," and "potential infinity" are. Do these things
> actually have rigorous definitions?

That depends on your understanding of rigor.

> > > and talking about these ideas generally leads
> > > precisely about the limits or sets that you mean, in any given
> > > situation, rather than worrying whether they represent "potential
> > > infinity" or "completed infinity
>
> > You can talk about limits but you cannot talk about Cantor's diagonal
> > without actual infinity. If doing so, you get numbers that cannot be
> > named. This is the best proof showing that actual infinity is not to
> > be considered mathematics.
>
> > Regards, WM
>
> I do not know what "Cantor's diagonal" you are speaking of, but the
> method of proving that the real numbers are uncountable which is
> usually called "Cantor's diagonal argument" does not ever mention any
> "actual infinity."

Nevertheless it requires actual infinity.

> Perhaps you have some constructivist objections to mathematics as it
> is practiced using ZFC set theory and the nonconstructive proofs it
> allows. If that's so, then fine; Cantor's diagonal argument works fine
> in ZFC but a strict constructivist, who insists on a more restrictive
> set theory or a more restrictive logic, can find reasons to object to
> it.-

A strict constructivist denies actaul infinity and, hence, uncountable
sets.

With only potential, i.e., not finished infinity, i.e., reasonable
infinity, the diagonal number (exchanging 0 by 1) of the following
list can be found in the list as an entry:

0.0
0.1
0.11
0.111

Thus Cantor's method fails - here and everywhere.

Regards, WM
From: WM on
On 27 Nov., 20:11, Virgil <Vir...(a)home.esc> wrote:
> In article
> <ac583807-eb9d-4ae4-86f2-37f329692...(a)k17g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
> > Therefore the vase is never empty - and the only error is your
> > assertion it would be empty after the last step and there was a state
> > of the vase "at infinity".
>
> While there is no 'last step' in this infinite sequence of steps, there
> is an 'after all steps' because there is a time at which every step has
> been completed.

Whatever you may think. If you wish to argue that the sequence of
balls has limit 0 then you are outside of mathematics. And there is

From: Virgil on
In article
<a02569c0-3b73-4c60-99f3-fbb1e9d28391(a)b15g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 27 Nov., 18:50, William Hughes <wpihug...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> > On Nov 27, 1:32�pm, WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
> >
> > > So all steps have been done whereas the last is pending.
> >
> > Nope. �Outside of Wolkenmeukenheim
> > we can do all steps without doing a last step �So all steps
> > have been done, �however there is no last step so the last
> > is not pending.
>
> Whatever you may think. If you wish to argue that the sequence of
> balls has limt 0 then you are outside of mathematics. And there is no
> need to further answer your "arguments".

Since Mueckenheim so seldom manages to get himself inside of
mathematics, he is hardly an authority on what goes on there.

N mathematics, it is quite possible, even common, for an infinite
sequence to be completed and have a limit which is not a member of the
sequence itself.

And if the problem of the balls and urn can be stated unambiguously, and
it has been, then its analysis can be done inside of mathematics, even
though it does not appear to be possible in Wolkenmeukenheim.
From: William Hughes on
On Nov 27, 3:23 pm, WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
> On 27 Nov., 18:50, William Hughes <wpihug...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 27, 1:32 pm, WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
>
> > > So all steps have been done whereas the last is pending.
>
> > Nope.  Outside of Wolkenmeukenheim
> > we can do all steps without doing a last step  So all steps
> > have been done,  however there is no last step so the last
> > is not pending.
>

> Whatever you may think

<snip unsupported assertion>

An unsupported assertion by WM
will work in Wolkenmuekenheim,
but is of no use outside Wolkenmeukenheim.

- William Hughes