From: William Hughes on
On Nov 27, 2:45 am, WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
> On 27 Nov., 02:50, William Hughes <wpihug...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > Besides your assertion, you have arguments too, don't you?
> > > In particular you can explain, how the empty set will emerge while
> > > throughout the whole time the minimum contents of the vase is 1 ball?
>
> > Since outside of Wolkenmuekenheim there is no reason to
> > expect the number of balls to be continuous at infinity

<snip attempted change of subject>

The argument why the change is the number
of balls is not problem is simple. Outside Wolkenmuekenheim

There is a contradiction at the last step
There is no last step
There is no contradiction.

Of course inside Wolkenmuekenheim ANYTHING can change
(lists, sets, last elements, fixed last elements etc.)

There is a contradiction at the last step.
There is a last step (it is something
that changes)
There is a contradiction.

- William Hughes

From: WM on
On 27 Nov., 11:43, Alan Smaill <sma...(a)SPAMinf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:
> > We are talking about a vase which is never emptied completely!
>
> > Hence it cannot be empty unless "infinity" is identical to "never".
> > But this describes potential infinity and excludes phantasies like
> > Cantor's finished diagonal number.
>
> But you lose control at infinity!

So does Cantor.

> So your "hence" doesn't work.

It works if there is anyone who does not lose control at infinity.
That's enough.

Regards, WM
From: WM on
On 27 Nov., 14:48, William Hughes <wpihug...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

*********************
you will have an empty set.
********************

> > > Since outside of Wolkenmuekenheim there is no reason to
> > > expect the number of balls to be continuous

*****************
at infinity
*****************

> The argument why the change is the number
> of balls is not problem is simple.  Outside Wolkenmuekenheim
>
>       There is a contradiction at the last step
>       There is no last step
>       There is no contradiction.

Therefore the vase is never empty - and the only error is your
assertion it would be empty after the last step and there was a state
of the vase "at infinity".

Regards, WM

From: Alan Smaill on
WM <mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:

> On 27 Nov., 11:43, Alan Smaill <sma...(a)SPAMinf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> > WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:
> > > We are talking about a vase which is never emptied completely!
> >
> > > Hence it cannot be empty unless "infinity" is identical to "never".
> > > But this describes potential infinity and excludes phantasies like
> > > Cantor's finished diagonal number.
> >
> > But you lose control at infinity!

> So does Cantor.

Good to know you agree that *you* lose control.
Let's leave Cantor out of it.

> > So your "hence" doesn't work.
>
> It works if there is anyone who does not lose control at infinity.
> That's enough.

If you are not in control, it doesn't work for you;
you can't say anything about what does or doesn't happen at infinity,
except by pretending that it must be the same as the finite case.

That pretence is worthless when you admit you have lost control.

--
Alan Smaill
From: A on
On Nov 27, 1:43 am, WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
> On 27 Nov., 03:50, A <anonymous.rubbert...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Simply take the first, seconde, third ... Centuria according to
> > > Cantor's well-ordering of the positive rationals. Then there is no
> > > need for considering any probabilities.

> > > Besides your assertion, you have arguments too, don't you?
> > > In particular you can explain, how the empty set will emerge while
> > > throughout the whole time the minimum contents of the vase is 1 ball?
>
> > > Regards, WM
>
> > Let S denote a set with exactly 101 elements. Let Q+ denote the
> > positive rational numbers. Let inj(S,Q+) denote the set of injective
> > functions from S to Q+. Let {x_n} denote a sequence of elements of inj
> > (S,Q+) with the following properties:
>
> > 1. Let im x_n denote the image of x_n. Then the union of im x_n for
> > all n is all of Q+.
>
> > 2. For any n, the intersection of im x_n with im x_(n+1) consists of
> > exactly one element, which is the minimal element (in the standard
> > ordering on Q+) in im x_n.
>
> > Let X denote the subset of Q+ defined as follows: a positive rational
> > number x is in X if and only if there exists some positive integer N
> > such that, for all M > N, x is in the image of x_M.
>
> > We are talking about X, right?
>
> We are talking about a vase which is never emptied completely!
>
> Hence it cannot be empty unless "infinity" is identical to "never".
> But this describes potential infinity and excludes phantasies like
> Cantor's finished diagonal number.
>
> Regards, WM
>
> Regards, WM

The set X described above is certainly the empty set, as one can
easily prove, despite im x_n being nonempty for each n. This seems to
be a rigorous statement of what you are describing by talking about
balls, vases, etc. I have never seen any mention of "potential
infinity" or "completed infinity" which is precise enough to even be
considered mathematics, and talking about these ideas generally leads
to nothing better than confusion--it might be better to speak
precisely about the limits or sets that you mean, in any given
situation, rather than worrying whether they represent "potential
infinity" or "completed infinity."