From: WM on
On 27 Nov., 22:42, William Hughes <wpihug...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 5:24 pm, WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > > Only in Wolkenmuekenheim where the argument goes
>
> > >      Every entry in the list has a fixed last 1
> > >      The diagonal number does not have a fixed last 1
>
> > There is not a fixed last entry
>
> So,  every entry in the list has a fixed last 1.
> (We don't need a fixed last entry to say this)
> We still have
>
>   Every entry in the list has a fixed last 1
>   The diagonal number does not have a fixed last 1
>
> > Every diagonal number is in the list.
>
> Only in Wolkenmuekenheim.  Outside of Wolkenmuekenheim
> there is only one diagonal number

How do you know, unless you have seen the last?

Regards, WM
From: William Hughes on
On Nov 28, 8:35 am, WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
> On 27 Nov., 22:42, William Hughes <wpihug...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > Every diagonal number is in the list.
>
> > Only in Wolkenmuekenheim.  Outside of Wolkenmuekenheim
> > there is only one diagonal number and it is not
> > in the list.
>
> How do you know, unless you have seen the last?

You use induction to show that every entry
in the list has a final 1. So you don't have
to see an entry to know that it has a final 1
(there is no last entry in any case).
There is a constructive proof that the
diagonal number does not have a final 1.

- William Hughes
From: Virgil on
In article
<f4e15df0-a3c0-48e4-959f-e341a9adf3ef(a)j4g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 27 Nov., 22:42, William Hughes <wpihug...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > There is not a fixed last entry
> >
> > So, �every entry in the list has a fixed last 1.
> > (We don't need a fixed last entry to say this)
> > We still have
> >
> > � Every entry in the list has a fixed last 1
> > � The diagonal number does not have a fixed last 1
> >
> > > Every diagonal number is in the list.
> >
> > Only in Wolkenmuekenheim. �Outside of Wolkenmuekenheim
> > there is only one diagonal number
>
> How do you know, unless you have seen the last?
>
> Regards, WM

Given a specific list of endless binary sequences, the so called Cantor
diagonal is the result of a specific and unambiguous algorithm applied
to that list, so it is, for any given list, unique, and not a member of
the list from which it is constructed.

Which WM would have known if he had any sense.
From: Ross A. Finlayson on
On Nov 28, 12:43 pm, Virgil <Vir...(a)home.esc> wrote:
> In article
> <f4e15df0-a3c0-48e4-959f-e341a9adf...(a)j4g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
>

>  WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > > So,  every entry in the list has a fixed last 1.
> > > (We don't need a fixed last entry to say this)
> > > We still have
>
> > >   Every entry in the list has a fixed last 1
> > >   The diagonal number does not have a fixed last 1

> > > Only in Wolkenmuekenheim.  Outside of Wolkenmuekenheim
> > > there is only one diagonal number
>
> > How do you know, unless you have seen the last?
>
> > Regards, WM
>
> Given a specific list of endless binary sequences, the so called Cantor
> diagonal is the result of a specific and unambiguous algorithm applied
> to that list, so it is, for any given list, unique, and not a member of
> the list from which it is constructed.
>
> Which WM would have known if he had any sense.

Binary sequences aren't unique representations of real numbers.
(Binary and ternary (trinary) anti-diagonal cases require refinement.)

For example, the list contains .1 then all zeros, the anti-diagonal
is .0111... = .100..., anti-diagonal is on the list.

Ross F.
From: Virgil on
In article
<e70292e5-e110-48dc-afda-8ff08c448dbd(a)g1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
"Ross A. Finlayson" <ross.finlayson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 28, 12:43�pm, Virgil <Vir...(a)home.esc> wrote:
> > In article
> > <f4e15df0-a3c0-48e4-959f-e341a9adf...(a)j4g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
> >

> > �WM <mueck...(a)rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > > How do you know, unless you have seen the last?
> >
> > > Regards, WM
> >
> > Given a specific list of endless binary sequences, the so called Cantor
> > diagonal is the result of a specific and unambiguous algorithm applied
> > to that list, so it is, for any given list, unique, and not a member of
> > the list from which it is constructed.
> >
> > Which WM would have known if he had any sense.
>
> Binary sequences aren't unique representations of real numbers.

The original Cantor diagonal argument did not deal with real numbers
either, so what is your point?

> (Binary and ternary (trinary) anti-diagonal cases require refinement.)

But as neither I nor Cantor were not dealing with numbers in any base,
your objections are, as usual, irrelevant.

> For example, the list contains .1 then all zeros, the anti-diagonal
> is .0111... = .100..., anti-diagonal is on the list.

But, in the Cantor argument, the lists in question are not of functions
from N to range {0,1} but of functions from N to range {m,w} with no
assumption that such a function corresponds to any sort of number.

So Ross is, as usual, in over his head.