From: Anand Sivaram on
That looks like a problem. You have unstable version of gcc-4.4-base
(4.4.3-9) installed, but now your unstable/sid is commented out. So
when you try to install g++ which has dependency on gcc-4.4-base, it
is trying to revert the gcc-4.4-base to that of squeeze (4.4.2-9).
Install the package "apt-show-versions", that could show your what is
installed and from which version.
So either revert gcc-4.4-base to that of squeeze or uncomment the sid
line, do an update and install "aptitude -t unstable install g++" to
get sid version.

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Anand Sivaram <aspnair(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> That looks like a problem. You have unstable version of gcc-4.4-base
> (4.4.3-9) installed, but now your unstable/sid is commented out. So
> when you try to install g++ which has dependency on gcc-4.4-base, it
> is trying to revert the gcc-4.4-base to that of squeeze (4.4.2-9).
> Install the package "apt-show-versions", that could show your what is
> installed and from which version.
> So either revert gcc-4.4-base to that of squeeze or uncomment the sid
> line, do an update and install "aptitude -t unstable install g++" to
> get sid version.

The unstable/sid doesn't have to be comment out. Setting the default release
will keep the system tracked to, in this case, testing.

How did the packages from sid get installed in the first place? If you're
tracking something, you have to give it an explicit "aptitude install -t sid
<package>" command, right?
From: Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. on
On Friday 30 April 2010 06:16:22 James Stuckey wrote:
> The unstable/sid doesn't have to be comment out. Setting the default
> release will keep the system tracked to, in this case, testing.

Er, mostly.

If there is a versioned dependency that can be satisfied from sid but not
testing, you will get the package from sid. This shouldn't happen given the
way testing is managed, unless you installed at least one package from sid.

> How did the packages from sid get installed in the first place? If you're
> tracking something, you have to give it an explicit "aptitude install -t
> sid <package>" command, right?

With the official testing and sid repositories that should be true. It would
only happen if someone manually fixed up testing and did it wrong.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Anand Sivaram on
On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 21:14, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss(a)iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> On Friday 30 April 2010 06:16:22 James Stuckey wrote:
>> The unstable/sid doesn't have to be comment out. Setting the default
>>  release will keep the system tracked to, in this case, testing.
>
> Er, mostly.
>
> If there is a versioned dependency that can be satisfied from sid but not
> testing, you will get the package from sid.  This shouldn't happen given the
> way testing is managed, unless you installed at least one package from sid.
>
>> How did the packages  from sid get installed in the first place? If you're
>> tracking something, you have to give it an explicit "aptitude install -t
>>  sid <package>" command, right?
>
> With the official testing and sid repositories that should be true.  It would
> only happen if someone manually fixed up testing and did it wrong.
> --
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                   ,= ,-_-. =..
> bss(a)iguanasuicide.net                   ((_/)o o(\_))
> ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy         `-'(. .)`-'
> http://iguanasuicide.net/                    \_/

You could find what all packages from sid are installed in your system by
apt-show-versions | grep unstable

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

> On Friday 30 April 2010 06:16:22 James Stuckey wrote:
> > The unstable/sid doesn't have to be comment out. Setting the default
> > release will keep the system tracked to, in this case, testing.
>
> Er, mostly.
>
> If there is a versioned dependency that can be satisfied from sid but not
> testing, you will get the package from sid. This shouldn't happen given
> the
> way testing is managed, unless you installed at least one package from sid.
>
> > How did the packages from sid get installed in the first place? If
> you're
> > tracking something, you have to give it an explicit "aptitude install -t
> > sid <package>" command, right?
>
> With the official testing and sid repositories that should be true. It
> would
> only happen if someone manually fixed up testing and did it wrong.
> --

I installed eclipse from sid, since there isn't eclipse in testing.