From: Camaleón on
El 2010-06-15 a las 22:58 +0100, Lisi escribió:

(resending to the list)

> On Tuesday 15 June 2010 19:44:33 Camaleón wrote:
> > But it's "her" backup and "her" data. She should care about how to do
> > things like these, whatever place she is (home, university, work...).
>
> I was forgetting that "school" means different things in American and British
> English. We are talking about a young teenager, who is currently more
> interested in fashion than the internal workings of a computer, especially
> after some dire "IT" lessons at school (=institution for children).

Okay, sorry for misunderstanding :-)

I thought we were just taking/focusing about backup strategies and not
about other limitations derived by the type of user.

> She _was_ interested in the workings of computers, and she will I am sure be
> so again. For now her expressed attitude is: "When I am at school the IT
> department does it (my note - but very limitedly), when I am at home with
> you, you do it, and when I am in Japan Daddy does it. Why do I need to do
> it?"

Now I see. Then you should definitely care about her backup. She is so
young for taking these things by "motu-propio" (by her own), unless she
is a power techie girl :-)

> But she will do it for herself the first time she wants it done and neither I
> nor her father is available. I have found that a good general ploy is "Of
> course I'll come and help you do it. Just let me finish what I am doing at
> the moment."

Mmmm, then you could split the backup strategy in two separate tasks:

Task 1/ Personal data backup can be triggered by the lady (by means of a
simple script in the desktop). That way you are teaching her about good
managing of the computer and to be responsible. This can be run once a
week. If you know beforehand the computer is "on" on specific hours, it
can be also automated.

Task 2/ Full backup (disk image). This is a very slow task that
requires time and plenty of free space so you can make a snapshot of the
disk on a monthly basis (or two times in a month).

> But _I_ want a backup of her hard drive because I would have to sort out the
> mess if the hard drive were to die. :-(

Yes, it's a valid point. And Clonezilla does a good job here (full disk
imaging or partition imaging), although other people use rsync. But I'm
afraid you'll need more than DVD discs to get this done flawlessly
(external USB hard disk or small NAS would be better) :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Wednesday 16 June 2010 08:41:03 Camaleón wrote:
> El 2010-06-15 a las 22:58 +0100, Lisi escribió:
>
> (resending to the list)

Sorry. I debated whether to send it to you or the list, and decided that it
was OT for the list since I was commenting on a specific sentence of your
that wasn't strictly germane to the subject of the thread.

> > On Tuesday 15 June 2010 19:44:33 Camaleón wrote:
> I thought we were just taking/focusing about backup strategies and not
> about other limitations derived by the type of user.

We were. Which is why I thought that a reply to your:

> > > But it's "her" backup and "her" data. She should care about how to do
> > > things like these, whatever place she is (home, university, work...).

was OT on the list.

But you clearly thought that we were talking about an adult, and I felt that
you were a little hard on her as a result! We were all teenagers once.

Lisi

Ron Johnson put forth on 6/15/2010 10:59 AM:

> I wrote a script that only backs up our data directories (including much
> of /home) into a bunch of tarballs, excluding "junk" folders like
> caches, thumbnails, trash, etc, and compressing most but not stuff like
> image and OOo document directories.

What you using for compression here Ron? gzip or bzip2? or ??

--
Stan

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:05:56 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Wednesday 16 June 2010 08:41:03 Camaleón wrote:
>> El 2010-06-15 a las 22:58 +0100, Lisi escribió:
>>
>> (resending to the list)
>
> Sorry. I debated whether to send it to you or the list, and decided
> that it was OT for the list since I was commenting on a specific
> sentence of your that wasn't strictly germane to the subject of the
> thread.

No problem. Many people send the replies to me directly and I am not sure
whether if they are full aware of that (intentionally off-list) or this
is just the famous Gmail's webmail "non-reply-to-list-but-sender"
error :-)

>> > On Tuesday 15 June 2010 19:44:33 Camaleón wrote:
>> I thought we were just taking/focusing about backup strategies and not
>> about other limitations derived by the type of user.
>
> We were. Which is why I thought that a reply to your:

> was OT on the list.

Was maybe OT... but I asked you why you were so reluctant to use
differential backups on her computer. I couldn't understand "why" because
today backup tasks are just "point-and-click", I mean, they are easier to
achieve than any image generation of the whole disk, so they are suitable
even for many non-savvy users :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Wednesday 16 June 2010 14:14:22 Camaleón wrote:
> but I asked you why you were so reluctant to use
> differential backups on her computer. I couldn't understand "why" because
> today backup tasks are just "point-and-click", I mean, they are easier to
> achieve than any image generation of the whole disk, so they are suitable
> even for many non-savvy users :-)

Yes - I was thinking of doing most backup myself, and just leaving her to do
back-up on the fastest changing data. But I'll certainly look at this -
after all, I was asking for ideas!

Lisi