From: Stephen Powell on
I am continuing to suffer the on-going de-volution of the once-decent
epiphany browser under Debian Squeeze. First they broke file
downloading. They still haven't fixed that. I'll bet it's been
six months or more.

Now I can't reply to any e-mails using the Wow basic
webmail client. I click on the "Reply" button, the mail compose
screen appears for a fraction of a second, then I get this error
screen. The problem does not occur with iceweasel. The problem is
very recent. It broke with a recent
"aptitude update;aptitude full-upgrade" sequence. I suppose I could
report a bug, but I'm not about to give them my password so they
can logon as me to test it! I'm going back to iceweasel again.
I kept using epiphany so I would know when the file download feature
got fixed. Instead they broke something else.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

You might wanna take a look at Midori, which is also webkit-based. So
far, I tend to like it.

On Sat Apr 17, 2010 at 13:17:40 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:

> I am continuing to suffer the on-going de-volution of the once-decent
> epiphany browser under Debian Squeeze. First they broke file
> downloading. They still haven't fixed that. I'll bet it's been
> six months or more.

"They" probably haven't fixed it since it hasn't been reported as
a bug.

Either:

* Say nothing.

* Rant in an unproductive fashion, without sufficient details to
come to any conclusion.

* Report a bug.

Anything else is a waste of your time, and ours. (e.g. "File
downloads are broken"? Not for me. But with so few details
people will either ignore you, suspect you're trolling, or blame it
on user-error.)

Happily it seems that you're content using Iceweasel, so pragmatically
you should continue to do that...

Steve

On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 14:31:38 -0400 (EDT), Steve Kemp wrote:

> "They" probably haven't fixed it since it hasn't been reported as
> a bug.

As for the download problem, I didn't report a bug because someone else
got there first: Debian bug report number 563056. I just checked back
and it has been marked "resolved", but apparently that version has not
yet migrated to Squeeze, which is what I am running.

As for the reply bug, I just noticed it today; and no, I haven't
reported a bug yet. I'm not sure I'm going to. I already said why.
I'm not going to give out my password. And unless the package maintainer
happens to have a Wow e-mail account, which is unlikely, they won't
be able to reproduce the problem. And then some wise guy like you
will say, "Well, Mr. Powell, if we can't reproduce the problem, how
do you expect us to fix it?" I do not hesitate to report bugs.
If you don't believe me, search the bug database for my e-mail id.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :