From: Mark Allums on
> On 04/24/2010 12:53 PM, B. Alexander wrote:
>> Hi,

>> So now, I would like to slowly start replacing my reiser3 partitions
>> with...something else. There are two options, the old standards, e.g.
>> ext3/4, xfs, etc, and then there are a slew of new filesystems, such as
>> nilfs2, btrfs and exofs.

You probably want ext3 now, and ext4 soon. Midterm, you will want ext4
and XFS. Longer term, btrfs will be the wasp's nipples, if it pans out.
(Linus uses it now, allegededly.) I wanted to like ZFS, but Sun is now
Oracle, and thus over it hangs a dark cloud. Besides, we can almost get
the benefits of ZFS with Linux RAID plus LVM2.

MAA

(Why? ext3 and 4 are exceptionally well supported by Linux and GNU. XFS
will be, too, probably.)

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 10:53 AM, B. Alexander <storm16(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have suggestions and practical experience with the pros and cons
> of the various filesystems?

Google is switching (has switched by now?) all of it's servers over to
ext4. A web search will turn up more details on the subject. But
they are mostly lots of big files.

mrc

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 19:46:51 -0700
Kevin Ross <kevin(a)familyross.net> wrote:

> There's also JFS, which has been around for a number of years, and is
> mature. It doesn't checksum your files, but it does use copy-on-write
> (as do Btrfs and ZFS), which goes a long way to keeping your data from
> getting corrupted, something XFS does not do.

FWIW, there is apparently an ext3 COW project, but it seems a bit
stagnant:

http://www.ext3cow.com/Welcome.html

Celejar

Ron Johnson put forth on 4/24/2010 2:11 PM:
> On 04/24/2010 12:53 PM, B. Alexander wrote:

>> Does anyone have suggestions and practical experience with the pros and
>> cons of the various filesystems?
>>

> XFS is the canonical fs for when you have lots of Big Files. I've also
> seen simple benchmarks on this list showing that it's faster than
> ext3/ext4.

I've been very happy with XFS for all file sizes and counts, but my server
isn't heavy duty by any means. It handles multiple 50-60MB mbox files with
ease as well as serving Samaba shares containing 5000+ files per dir. Given
that the large mbox files become fairly fragmented over time due to constant
appends, having an online file defragmenter, xfs_fsr, is very handy. The
myth that certain filesystems don't fragment files and thus don't need a
defrag tool are just that, myths. I've run with mbox on both EXT2 and XFS,
and the larger mbox files always fragment over time regardless of
filesystem. Prior to my last xfs_fsr run, I had 10 mbox files (a single
user) that ranged from 10-35 fragments each. Those in the 20-35 fragment
range were 40-60MB files. I don't have empirical data to show how much this
negatively affected performance, but my mail client did seem a bit snappier
after defragging.

> nilfs2, btrfs and exofs are *definitely* still beta or even alpha.

I've not played with any of these myself, but what I'm seeing on the various
mailing lists suggests what Ron states here.

> xfs and ext[34] can all be extended. For production servers with a
> working UPS, I'd go with ext3 for / & /boot and xfs (since it hates
> sudden power outages) for the "/data" directories. For production
> workstations, I'd stick with the standby ext3 for / & /boot and ext3 or
> xfs for /home and "/data" (depending on the workload).

For production servers I'd go with XFS everywhere as long as your kernel
(and rescue disk kernel) has XFS built-in. Reliable power (via UPS and/or
generator) is part of the definition of "production" server, so there's no
reason to shy away from XFS for any partitions or logical volumes due to
power loss fears.

Some recent FS benchy comparisons with 2.6.34-rc3 on a big RAID setup:

http://btrfs.boxacle.net/repository/raid/2010-04-14_2004/2.6.34-rc3/2.6.34-rc3.html

As always, no single fs wins across the board. XFS falls flat on its face
in the synthetic mail server test, but does very well in all others. Given
its results in the mail test are almost identical to EXT4, and that EXT4
no-barrier increases performance 7 fold, I'd say some tweaking of XFS would
bring its performance back in line with the others.

--
Stan

Ron Johnson put forth on 4/24/2010 5:48 PM:

>> Define "hates sudden power outages"...Is it recoverable?
>>

> They got pretty corrupted. Maybe it's been robustified in the
> intervening years.

Drop this in the "lore" category. Any machine using pretty much any modern
filesystem can suffer corruption with a given set of heavy write
circumstances and depending on the applications. Some FS do better than
others, but all will suffer corruption under the right mix of circumstances.
XFS got a bad rap long ago for a couple of fairly high profile corruptions.
But, given SGIs customers, nearly all are going to be "high profile" as all
the systems would be huge and storing important data. The bulk of SGI's
customers are traditionally U.S. government labs, oil & gas exploration
companies, movie studios, pharmaceutical labs, NASA, etc. One really bad
incident can carry a stigma for a long time, deservedly or not.

You may find this an interesting read:
http://www.flamingspork.com/talks/2007/06/eat_my_data.odp

--
Stan