From: Stan Hoeppner on
Stephen Powell put forth on 4/29/2010 8:50 AM:

> I agree with John. Stan must hobnob with an elite crowd.

Not really. A computer educated crowd maybe, but by no means elite for most
definitions of elite.

> I don't
> have a UPS at home either, and I don't know anyone that does.

Be the first. Even something like this will get you through browns and sags
without a burb from the PC, and will give you 5-20 minutes to do a proper
shutdown with an average mini tower in the case of total outages due to the
occasional storm or line crew replacing a transformer, etc. Less than $50
at WorstBuy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/CyberPower+-+425VA+SL-Series+Battery+Back-Up+System/6201585.p?id=1069297060711&skuId=6201585

A better choice IMO would be something like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/APC+-+900VA+Battery+Back-Up+System/7842588.p?id=1142298456537&skuId=7842588

Provides surge protection for PC, dsl modem, coax; long battery runtime for
a single home PC. Keeps the cordless phone base working during a storm
along with a desk lamp so you're not in total darkness. They're great for
the living room home theater system too. Allows you to watch the local
weather during a storm when the power is out.

> I do have one at work, but even there most desktop systems aren't
> on it. The only reason that my desktop system uses the UPS is that
> my cubicle is on raised floor inside the computer room and I
> connected it myself. Most desktop users, even at the office, are not
> so privileged. And my employer is a very big entity, financially.
> It's not a small business.

In the U.S. most business facilities have more stable power than residential
areas. Most offices have transformers inside the building and buried cable
to the building, unlike residential which, if not fairly new, has all above
ground cabling and multiple houses on one transformer up on a power pole.
The latter is a magnet for falling tree limbs due to wind in the summer and
ice in the winter. Most offices don't suffer from browns and sags due to
having dedicated transformers. Usually when office power goes out it's due
to a major component failure at a substation or an overhead line somewhere
in between that got clipped by a boom truck or the like. In short, office
desktops usually don't need a UPS, especially if user data is stored on
network shares on UPS backed servers. If power goes out it just garbles
local temp files--unless it's a Windows PC and the registry was held open,
as it usually is, even though it's not supposed to be...

Anyway, the way I've always looked at the residential side of the UPS debate
is to ask myself this question: Is it worth spending $100 to surge and
power backup protect my $1000 PC and printer? For me that answer is an
emphatic yes.

--
Stan

On Thu, Apr 29 at 9:50, Stephen Powell penned:

> I agree with John. Stan must hobnob with an elite crowd. I don't
> have a UPS at home either, and I don't know anyone that does. I do
> have one at work, but even there most desktop systems aren't on it.
> The only reason that my desktop system uses the UPS is that my
> cubicle is on raised floor inside the computer room and I connected
> it myself. Most desktop users, even at the office, are not so
> privileged. And my employer is a very big entity, financially.
> It's not a small business.

I don't have one on my home workstation - I do on the server, and I keep
anything important on it. I've also found that UPSes can fail
eventually, and you might not know until the brown-out from which it
doesn't protect you. I use ext3 on the server, which has fine
erformance for my needs. I use the OS Which Must Not Be Named on my
workstation.

(I don't have a good reason not to have a UPS on my workstation -
basically laziness.)

As far as I know, no one at my mid-sized company has a UPS on his or
her workstation. The expectation, again, is that important data goes
on the fileserver, although for various reasons that expectation is
not always correct. We do have the option of requesting backups for
particular directories on our workstations, but I think they're
nightly at best. I've actually asked about getting a UPS here and
there, but given that no one else has one and that we rarely get
brownouts, let alone blackouts, I haven't pushed the question.

I do see a lot of non-techie people using laptops as their only
computer; none of those people run linux or would recognize the term
"filesystem." Among the techie people I know (in the US, so relatively
privileged), very few use a laptop as their primary computer; it's
usually a supplement to a beefier desktop machine.

But regardless, this is back to one of those eternal tradeoffs -
performance vs. data integrity. I see no reason I shouldn't use a UPS
*and* a journalling filesystem when the performance of that filesystem
is adequate for my needs.

--
monique

On Thu, Apr 29 at 10:26, Stan Hoeppner penned:

> In the U.S. most business facilities have more stable power than
> residential areas.

Probably true, but I've been living in my house maybe two years longer
than I've been in this office, and I've had fewer power problems at home
than at work. To be fair, there haven't been many in either case. So
as always, YMMV.

--
monique

Rob Owens wrote:
> The resilience is due to the way the journal is written, if I
> understand correctly. Maybe somebody on this list who understands it
> better can confirm or deny. There is a journal_data_writeback option
> for ext3 which will speed up writes to the filesystem, but reduce its
> resilience to power loss. With this option enabled, I recall reading
> that the ext3 benchmarks are pretty similar to XFS.

Yep. As always, LWN probably has the best word on it [1].

Short answer: ext3 is outdated, ext4 is current and can still be configured
to get the same "better data resilience" without losing all its benefits.
XFS should also be able to do so. Criticising ext4 for data resilience
"problems" and praising XFS is a fallacy, both go in the same direction.

Now the debate is around the default configuration of modern filesystems
(basically performance vs safety). As YMMVVM (very much), one should
probably just ignore the debate, take 30m to learn about the issue, and
configure his filesystem properly.

Well, opinions. ;-)

For stable users using ext3, writeback can theoretically offer better
throughput, as it doesn't force data to be be pushed on the platters before
the metadata has been committed to the journal. It still keeps the
filesystem consistent (the only thing a journal is supposed to do), but the
risk of corrupting the data is greater. I, personally, don't seek to
minimize that risk, I want it to be zero -- no filesystem can help here, and
no filesystem will ever do. That's one reason why I don't like to see ext3
recommended for its data resilience: it gives the user the illusion of safety.

Of course, it still makes sense to minimize the risk in certain scenarios
where it can't be eliminated; but again, modern filesystems can be
configured to do so.

-thib

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/322823/

They only journal filesystem metadata, not the file data iself. If changes
to a file haven't been flushed to disk before the power goes out, you'll end
up with a perfectly consistent filesystem (thanks to the journal), but with
a file or two (or more) with garbage in it. This is why at the beginning of
this thread I recommended a filesystem that uses copy-on-write and
preferably checksums your data.

However, I don't follow my own advice, probably because I've been using XFS
for so long (since 2.4 kernel when you had to download the patches from
SGI).

I personally haven't had a problem with data loss from power outage as a
result of XFS corrupting my files. I believe this is because if a regular
file (not a database) is in the process of being written when the power goes
out, even if every write is synced to disk, unless whatever was writing to
it has finished writing, then the contents of the file are invalid anyway,
and no filesystem will protect you from that. For example, if my MythTV
backend is recording a TV show and the power goes out in the middle of the
recording, I will delete it and let MythTV re-record at a later date. It
makes no difference if every byte in that file is correct or not up to the
point of the power failure.

The window of failure is when the process doing the writing closes the file,
and if the power now goes out before everything is synced to disk, then you
will have a corrupted file that otherwise wouldn't have been.

BTW, regarding UPS's. The number of times my computer was improperly shut
down as a result of a power outage is far less than the number of times
other problems have caused improper shutdowns: e.g. hardware failures such
as a power supply going bad, system overheating, kernel crashes, or other
system lockups that require you to hit the reset button.