From: Joe Brenner on

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss(a)iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> Joe Brenner wrote:
> > Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:

> > > That same unofficial benchmark showed surprising small-file speed by
> > > xfs.

> > Would you happen to have any links to such benchmarks, unofficial or
> > otherwise?

> > My experience has been that whenever I look at filesystem benchmarks,
> > they skip the many-small-files case. I've always had the feeling that
> > most of the big filesystems cared a lot about scaling up in file-size,
> > but not too much about anything else.

> NB: This is my best recollection; I'm not looking this up right now. Please
> check my facts, I'd love to know if I'm wrong.

Like I said, I *have* looked at filesystem comparisons a number of times.

It's my problem to check your assertions? Why isn't it your problem to
check my assertions?

> > I'm a Reiser3 user myself, and I've never had any problems with it.

> > (The trouble with it being "long in the tooth" is mostly hypothetical,
> > isn't it?)
>
> Not really.

Outside of one mention of "bugs on reiserfs that will not be fixed",
you're pretty much just describing the theory. I do understand that
using relatively unsupported software, even if it's pretty mature
software, can have it's problems.

Just doing a few quick websearches, I'm reading about ReiserFS bugs
fixed as recently as 2006, 2007... It's not like it's not getting any
attention from developers.

> In addition, as file system technology advances, reiserfs will become
> less attractive for new installs and it will become more attractive to
> migrate way from it.

I think you're better off if you rely on really well-tested migration
tools (e.g. "tar").

On 4/29/2010 7:36 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
In the U.S., given the numbers of
> cheap APC, Triplite, and Belkin UPS on the shelves at $big_box_store I'd say
> most U.S. desktop users have a UPS. I know I do.

Naw. It ain't so. Most US users don't even know what a UPS is. APC
quit calling their equipment a "UPS", and now just call it a "backup
battery" because of alphabet soup fatigue. And Jane Church-Secretary
still doesn't know what it is or what it's for. Or or Jack
Retired-Contractor. Joe Average.

MAA

On Thursday 29 April 2010 20:03:20 Joe Brenner wrote:
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss(a)iguanasuicide.net> wrote:
> > Joe Brenner wrote:

> > > Would you happen to have any links to such benchmarks, unofficial or
> > > otherwise?
> > >
> > > My experience has been that whenever I look at filesystem benchmarks,
> > > they skip the many-small-files case. I've always had the feeling that
> > > most of the big filesystems cared a lot about scaling up in file-size,
> > > but not too much about anything else.
> >
> > NB: This is my best recollection; I'm not looking this up right now.
> > Please check my facts, I'd love to know if I'm wrong.
>
> Like I said, I *have* looked at filesystem comparisons a number of times.

So have I. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I looked at them for deciding
on reiserfs, then I replicated the results on my own hardware using bonnie++
before restoring my backups.

I also look around for results about once a year, to see if much has changed,
or if there are new file systems I should look at. Less often, I'll try and
run my own bonnie++ tests, but not rigorously; they occur on my system under
whatever load I happen to be running.

> It's my problem to check your assertions?

Trust, but verify.

The note was only indicative that I wasn't didn't have data or analysis in
front of me, so I was running off of memory. Usually, that's fine, but I was
talking about specific file system implementation features in multiple file
systems. Since I don't implement or debug file systems every day, I thought
an idle warning was in order.

> Why isn't it your problem to
> check my assertions?

It is.

> > > I'm a Reiser3 user myself, and I've never had any problems with it.
> > >
> > > (The trouble with it being "long in the tooth" is mostly hypothetical,
> > > isn't it?)
> >
> > Not really.
>
> Outside of one mention of "bugs on reiserfs that will not be fixed",
> you're pretty much just describing the theory. I do understand that
> using relatively unsupported software, even if it's pretty mature
> software, can have it's problems.

That's not a theory; or that least it is not hypothetical. It's proven true
over and over, and software ranging from OSes to libraries to RDBMSes to
desktop applications.

> Just doing a few quick websearches, I'm reading about ReiserFS bugs
> fixed as recently as 2006, 2007... It's not like it's not getting any
> attention from developers.

Took me a little while, but I see bug-fix patches from this year. It's not be
abandoned quite as quickly as I was lead to believe. I still don't recommend
it for new installs, but there's a-priori reason to migrate away from it right
now.

> > In addition, as file system technology advances, reiserfs will become
> > less attractive for new installs and it will become more attractive to
> > migrate way from it.
>
> I think you're better off if you rely on really well-tested migration
> tools (e.g. "tar").

These have significant overhead over file system-specific methods. They are
the both universal and fairly conservative, so your advocacy is well-
justified. It's also pretty easy to do them wrong, or get a poorly performing
file system out of them. It's easy to forget extended attributes and ACLs
when using cp/tar/rsync; there may be other file system data that needs to be
preserved, too (HPFS+ forks?). Taking a kernel tarball from a ext3 file
system and extracting it on a reiserfs file system takes much longer than
taking a kernel tarball from a reiserfs file system and extracting to on a
reiserfs file system.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. on
On Monday 26 April 2010 16:34:38 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> [...]
> > like advanced, I noticed that my reiserfs partitions would have to replay
> > the journal every time I rebooted, even after a clean shutdown. I started
> > calculating how many times I shrunk any of my partitions in the last 8
> > years, and I can only recall twice. And since I have several terabytes
> > around the house, I figure I can migrate data and delete/recreate
> > partitions if I really need to reduce it.
>
> That doesn't seem right. I have been using reiser3 since 2005, and my
> system does not require a journal replay if I do a clean shutdown/reboot.
> A forced reboot through Alt+SysRq+B does trigger a journal replay (as it
> should).
>
> I also have 4+ tebibytes but most of them are allocated to filesystems.
> I've had to shrink filesystems dozens of times since 2005, during or after
> a data move.
>
> I don't use partitions (much), having been using LVM happily for everything
> except /boot. I'm hoping to be able to move that onto LVM once I move to
> GRUB2 and GPT.
>
> > > I have not read the rest of the thread, but my off-the-cuff
> > > recommendation would be to start migration to btrfs. Now that the
> > > on-disk format has stabilized, I am going to start testing it for
> > > filesystems other than /usr/local, /var, and /home. Assuming I can
> > > keep those running well for 6-12
> > > months, I will migrate /usr/local, /var, and then /home, in that order,
> > > with a
> > > 1-3 month gap in between migrations.
> >
> > I might play with it for some non-critical partitions, or ones that I can
> > mirror on an established filesystem, even if it is only to use in an
> > "Archive Island" scenario, where I have a LV that I can mount, sync and
> > umount. However, btrfs is not included in the kernel, is it? As I recall,
> > nilfs2 has kernel support, but that was the only one of the new
> > filesystems, at the time when I started looking at this.
>
> btrfs is included in 2.6.31.12-0.2-default in openSUSE 11.2. It is also
> included in linux-image-2.6-686 and linux-image-2.6-amd64 for
> lenny-backports, testing, and sid. I don't normally deal with other
> architectures/distributions, so it might also be available there.
>
> > > I've already encountered an issue related to btrfs in my very isolated
> > > deployments. The initramfs created by update-initramfs does not appear
> > > to mount it properly. Instead I am given an '(initramfs)' prompt and I
> > > have to
> > > mount the filesystem manually (a simple two-argument mount command
> > > suffices)
> > > and continue the boot process.
> >
> > That is enough to give me pause...
>
> It doesn't appear to be a file system issue, but rather a problem with the
> initramfs scripts. It could also be rooted in my configuration. I know
> that my "root=" kernel parameter has to differ from the device name in my
> /etc/fstab in order to get the initramfs to correctly initialize LVM.

I wanted to report that I was able to diagnose and solve this. The problem
was that /lib/udev/vol_id in my initramfs could not identify a btrfs file
system, which caused the scripts to try and mount the root file system using
'-t unknown' as part of the command-line arguments.

I upgraded initramfs-tools and udev to the Sid versions. This should cause a
initramfs rebuild as part of the postinst, but if it doesn't do so on your
system, be sure to run (update-initramfs -k all -u). Now my system boots
unattended with a btrfs '/'.

So, at this time, btrfs can be used for non-'/' file systems with the tools
from lenny-backports. However, newer udev/initramfs-tools are required to
boot with a btrfs '/'. I hope they are included in the Squeeze release. I
have not, and probably will not test a btrfs '/boot'.

I have also been encountering issues with suspend and resume on this new
install. I don't currently believe these are btrfs-related, either, but fair
warning.
From: Ron Johnson on
On 04/29/2010 02:17 PM, Joe Brenner wrote:
> Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
>> B. Alexander wrote:
>>> Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
>
>> [snip]

>>> Thats cool. What about Lots of Little Files? That was another of the draws
>>> of reiser3. I have a space I mount on /media/archive, which has everything
>>> from mp3/oggs and movies, to books to a bunch of tiny files. This will
>>> probably be the first victim for the xfs test partition.
>>
>> That same unofficial benchmark showed surprising small-file speed by
>> xfs.
>
> Would you happen to have any links to such benchmarks, unofficial or
> otherwise?

They were posted to this list (within the last 6 months, I think).

> My experience has been that whenever I look at filesystem benchmarks,
> they skip the many-small-files case.

It also did small file testing.

> I've always had the feeling that
> most of the big filesystems cared a lot about scaling up in file-size,
> but not too much about anything else.

Yes, that's what xfs was designed for, and where it's strength
always lay. But the benchmarks I refer to showed good results for
xfs even with small files.

> I'm a Reiser3 user myself, and I've never had any problems with it.
>
> (The trouble with it being "long in the tooth" is mostly hypothetical,
> isn't it?)

It's certainly not suffering yet suffering from bit-rot. However,
while ext4, xfs and btrfs are *definitely* being continuously
improved I doubt that ReiserFS 3.5 is.

(As usual, I could be totally wrong.)

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?