From: Richard Hartmann on
On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 18:22, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you try with rekonq or even Firefox? Firefox is a real memory pig.

Iceweasel does not have these issues, but then I almost never use it
so the test pool is a _lot_ smaller.
Never tried rekonq, I can do so tonight.

> Try running "top > top.txt". Hopefully that will catch something when
> it locks up.

kk.

> Yeah, I remember those. Nothing but the mouse pointer works (but it
> doesn't click)?

Yes.

Richard

On Thursday 06 May 2010 07:59:44 Ana Guerrero wrote:
> On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 03:17:43AM -0300, Jorge Gonçalves wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > First, thank you for the great distro that is Debian, one of the best.
> >
> > I would like to suggest you some way so that the users keep on using
> > the good old KDE 3.5 when they migrate to the upcoming Lenny.
> >
> > Maybe use dummy packages, or rename the packages so that KDE 3.5 could
> > remain installed, and not be forced to upgrade to Kde4.
>
> No, there is not sane way and there is nobody interested on it.

I would be. And do we not mean Squeeze? Lenny has KDE 3.5.10.

> > I really feel sorry that KDE 3 series is no more being developed, and
> > when the day cames that I no longer will be able to use KDE 3, I will
> > switch to Apple or even Windows, but NEVER to kde4 or Gnome!
> > (and I feel many users out there think like me!!!)
>
> You still have gnustep, xfce, lxde, no using any or simply never upgrade.

I have looked at all those, in addition to KDE 4 and Gnome. None appeals to
me. Each has something that I strongly dislike or does not have something
that I like and use a lot. I would love to be able to upgrade to Squeeze if
new(er) hardware dictates, but keep KDE 3.5. But I am not even almost
tempted to go over to the dark side!

I am, however, very sad that KDE 3.5, which I regard as the pinnacle of DE's,
is being laid to rest.

Lisi

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Yes, KDE 4 seems to be much better for the average Joe. But that is
> the reason that power users suffer at the moment! A.Joe already has
> Gnome...

Exactly! OK, I'll look forward to test this weekend.
Main issue for me is tora with oracle, but also a bunch of other apps that
I'm using.
Thanks anyway!

regards

>> You still have gnustep, xfce, lxde, no using any or simply never upgrade..
>
> I have looked at all those, in addition to KDE 4 and Gnome.  None appeals to
> me.  Each has something that I strongly dislike or does not have something
> that I like and use a lot.

Please tell me what KDE 4.4 is missing, or what it has that you
dislike. I can help address those issues.

> I am, however, very sad that KDE 3.5, which I regard as the pinnacle of DE's,
> is being laid to rest.

Then help me shape it's successor. What is not suitable about KDE 4?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Hi Dotan,

> This is what I'd like to know! It is very subjective, but KDE 3 was
> very intuitive in some aspects. Tell me what is not intuitive in KDE
> 4.4 and I will file the bugs. Thanks, this is an important one! I
> agree that many things are _not_ intuitive.

The thing I miss most in KDE4 is: pausing the cursor over a music
file in Konq (file manager, icon view) and hearing the contents.
This was such an awesome feature that Microsoft has copied it for
Windows 7; and it's disappeared from Konq/Dolphin. I asked about it
once, and got <shrug> back.

Otherwise, I'm a happy KDE4.4 user (on a number of distros).

Any chance?

--
Trish Fraser, JD9R RQ2D
52.4161N,16.9303E