From: Justin on
Richard B. Gilbert wrote on [Sat, 03 Jul 2010 14:40:59 -0400]:
> Justin wrote:
>> Larry wrote on [Sat, 03 Jul 2010 14:27:22 +0000]:
>>> Justin <nospam(a)insightbb.com> wrote in news:i0nbhl$pcn$1(a)news.eternal-
>>> september.org:

>>> Precisely my point about the horrors of cloud computing.....
>>
>> yep, however this point had nothing to do with the cloud
>
> Who is responsible for the integrity and security of data stored "in the
> cloud"? Why should I, or anyone, be willing to entrust his data to it?

That's why I encrypt the data I sent to my cloud backup service. My email
already travels unencrypted across less trustworthy servers than google
between the end user hitting send and me receiving it. I trust comcast
a whole bunch less than google. AT&T even less than Comcast, yet how
many people use one of those as their ISP?

The cloud is not a single entity, it's Amazon, it's Google, it's Microsoft,
it's facebook, it's Yahoo, etc.
You need to pick who you want to trust and for what service. It's no different
than trusting your doctor with your medical records. Or perhaps which pharmacy
you trust when you fill your prescription.

From: SMS on
On 03/07/10 9:50 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> Note that projecting external antennas have been on cell phones since
> the stone age. Internal antenna are a recent development. Touching
> the antenna on an old external antenna cell phone had little effect,
> so it's there's no reason an external antenna shouldn't work on the
> iPhone 4. Something else is going on, but without an iPhone 4 to play
> with, I'm guessing.

The Sharpie solution might work for them as well,
"http://nordicgroup.us/cingular/cingular.wmv"
From: Richard B. Gilbert on
Justin wrote:
> Richard B. Gilbert wrote on [Sat, 03 Jul 2010 14:40:59 -0400]:
>> Justin wrote:

>>> yep, however this point had nothing to do with the cloud
>> Who is responsible for the integrity and security of data stored "in the
>> cloud"? Why should I, or anyone, be willing to entrust his data to it?
>
> That's why I encrypt the data I sent to my cloud backup service. My email
> already travels unencrypted across less trustworthy servers than google
> between the end user hitting send and me receiving it. I trust comcast
> a whole bunch less than google. AT&T even less than Comcast, yet how
> many people use one of those as their ISP?
>
> The cloud is not a single entity, it's Amazon, it's Google, it's Microsoft,
> it's facebook, it's Yahoo, etc.
> You need to pick who you want to trust and for what service. It's no different
> than trusting your doctor with your medical records. Or perhaps which pharmacy
> you trust when you fill your prescription.

Thanks!

I think I will continue to backup my phone to my computer. I also have
very similar data on my PDA if I should happen to need it. If all three
sources are somehow destroyed I probably won't be in any condition to
care!
From: Justin on
Richard B. Gilbert wrote on [Sat, 03 Jul 2010 15:38:32 -0400]:
> Justin wrote:
>> Richard B. Gilbert wrote on [Sat, 03 Jul 2010 14:40:59 -0400]:

>>> Who is responsible for the integrity and security of data stored "in the
>>> cloud"? Why should I, or anyone, be willing to entrust his data to it?
>>
>> That's why I encrypt the data I sent to my cloud backup service. My email
>> already travels unencrypted across less trustworthy servers than google
>> between the end user hitting send and me receiving it. I trust comcast
>> a whole bunch less than google. AT&T even less than Comcast, yet how
>> many people use one of those as their ISP?
>>
>> The cloud is not a single entity, it's Amazon, it's Google, it's Microsoft,
>> it's facebook, it's Yahoo, etc.
>> You need to pick who you want to trust and for what service. It's no different
>> than trusting your doctor with your medical records. Or perhaps which pharmacy
>> you trust when you fill your prescription.
>>

> Thanks!
>
> I think I will continue to backup my phone to my computer. I also have
> very similar data on my PDA if I should happen to need it. If all three
> sources are somehow destroyed I probably won't be in any condition to
> care!

That's a nice theory, but if you are at the grocery store during a storm and your
house is blown away with your computer, and you get caught in a heavy downpour and your
phone gets wet and stops working, you can still be in pretty good condition
and have lost it all.
From: nospam on
In article <e8ou26dsgau6j2v4u3i09872fok1d95uam(a)4ax.com>, Jeff
Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:

> >"More suits filed in iPhone 4 antenna fracas"
> ><http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20009625-260.html>
> At first, Apple said this was a problem common to any phone
> and suggested buying a rubber case or holding the phone
> differently.
> Translation: Apple doesn't have a clue about RF and is now in damage
> control mode. Blaming the victim is a great start.

other companies do it too.

nokia dictates how to hold their phones:
<http://funsizebytes.com/post/745721120/instructions-from-my-nokia-2320>

here's another:
<http://i48.tinypic.com/x0xsi9.jpg>

there are plenty of others.

> <http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPhone-4-Teardown/3130/2>
> Apple has gone a step further and tuned the phone to utilize
> whichever network band is less congested or has the least
> interference for the best signal quality, regardless of the
> actual signal strength. Early reports suggest this feature,
> while buggy in its early stages, will greatly improve the
> phone's reliability on AT&T's fragile network.
> Translation: Apple uses the SNR (signal quality) and not the signal
> strength (-dBM) to control the phone.

some other phones also use snr. there was an issue way way back with
sprint where people would complain that one phone showed the maximum
number of bars and another sitting right next to it had 1-2 bars. the
reason that one showed snr and the other showed strength.

i don't remember which phones those were, but i do remember the nokia
6185 having horrible reception compared to just about every other
sprint cellphone at the time. no lawsuits for that one though. :)

> From various reports, the iPhone 4 drops more like 3-4 bars when the
> antenna tip is touched. If that's true (I haven't played with an
> iPhone 4 yet), that's a -30dB or more drop, which is far too sensitive
> to survive hand contact.
>
> My very unofficial conversion table from -dBm to bars:
> Bars -dBm
> 1 -102 to -112
> 2 -94 to -101
> 3 -87 to -93
> 4 -77 to -86
> 5 -38 to -76
> tested on my VX8100.

according to anandtech tests, it's: -113, -107, -103, -101, -91, -51

<http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2>

it also says:

I can honestly say that I've never held onto so many calls and data
simultaneously on 1 bar at -113 dBm as I have with the iPhone 4, so
it's readily apparent that the new baseband hardware is much more
sensitive compared to what was in the 3GS. The difference is that
reception is massively better on the iPhone 4 in actual use.

> Note that projecting external antennas have been on cell phones since
> the stone age. Internal antenna are a recent development. Touching
> the antenna on an old external antenna cell phone had little effect,
> so it's there's no reason an external antenna shouldn't work on the
> iPhone 4. Something else is going on, but without an iPhone 4 to play
> with, I'm guessing.

holding the pull-out antenna has an effect on my old cellphone, and the
instructions that came with it say not to do that.