From: Mike Jacoubowsky on
"John Navas" <jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in message
> "More suits filed in iPhone 4 antenna fracas"
> <http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-20009625-260.html>

This lawsuit is marginally frivolous, but it wouldn't bother me at all if
Apple decided that the best way out of this mess was simply to provide free
cases. They'd likely be out a few dollars each (they're apparently a bit
more complicated than the $.10 variety) but it would restore confidence.

By the way, Apple's claim that it's a signal-strength-"indication"-only
issue is bogus. I can hold mine such that it not only drops the signal bars
from full to maybe one, but will also drop calls. If it was just an issue
with the indication, it wouldn't be dropping calls (something it won't do if
the phone is left on a table, for example).

The other issue I have (which would likely be solved by a case) is that it's
a really easy phone to drop (it's shape isn't very friendly to hold) and it
slides across furniture, even fabric-covered, causing it to become one with
the floor if you're not really careful.

Despite that, I have found it one of my best upgrades ever. It's got a
camera that's actually useful, it's dramatically speedier than the old
phone, its web browsing never hangs like my 3G frequently did, the battery
lasts longer, and it's actually got voice dialing (which I discovered by
accident).

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

From: atec7 7 ""atec77" on
nospam wrote:
> In article <4u6136ha9pm482n6psbk2882cbnlmig4v7(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
> <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> Yep -- HTC makes great phones, which is why Apple has decided it has to
>> compete in court instead of just in the market.
>
> nonsense. how conveniently you forget that htc infringed not only on
> apple intellectual property, but microsoft too.
You think we care even if you can prove it because ?
From: atec7 7 ""atec77" on
David wrote:
> In article
> <elmop-1ABEE8.20595403072010(a)62-183-169-81.bb.dnainternet.fi>,
> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop(a)nastydesigns.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <postings-0CB017.10213104072010(a)news.bigpond.com>,
>> David <postings(a)REMOVE-TO-REPLYconfidential-counselling.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Strange why people are just complaining about the new phone, my 3GS has
>>> always dropped signal strength remarkably if I hold it with my hand
>>> around the top half/
>>>
>>> The difference is that it will go from 3bars to no bars depending on how
>>> I hold it, and that is with a case on it
>> I bet you haven't actually logged and tracked your experiences.
>>
>> Your phone will go from 3 bars to no bars sitting on a table, not
>> moving, with NO ONE touching it. Case or no case.
>>
>> It has nothing to do with you and how you hold the phone, and everything
>> to do with....AT&T.
>
> Gee whiz I doubt that. Considering I am thousands of KM away from them
> living in the land of Oz I think it more likely it is to do with the
> design of the phone.
>
> And with laying down it doesn't change
>
> David - who wonders where people get such strange ideas from...
Both my Lg and HTC phones woop the 4 phone on transmission and currently
the few aps I use on my normal phones are free . no thanks apple it's a
dud imho
From: nospam on
In article <2f2dnbVTiLodwazRnZ2dnUVZ_qCdnZ2d(a)earthlink.com>, Mike
Jacoubowsky <MikeJ(a)ChainReaction.com> wrote:

> This lawsuit is marginally frivolous, but it wouldn't bother me at all if
> Apple decided that the best way out of this mess was simply to provide free
> cases. They'd likely be out a few dollars each (they're apparently a bit
> more complicated than the $.10 variety) but it would restore confidence.

marginally frivolous? have you read the filings?

they are claiming all sorts of stuff, including willful and malicious
intent. it reads as if someone sat down and made a long giant list of
every possible thing, just to see which ones stick and which are
rejected.

> By the way, Apple's claim that it's a signal-strength-"indication"-only
> issue is bogus. I can hold mine such that it not only drops the signal bars
> from full to maybe one, but will also drop calls. If it was just an issue
> with the indication, it wouldn't be dropping calls (something it won't do if
> the phone is left on a table, for example).

that can happen with any phone. anandtech found that it held onto calls
better than other phones, even with the drop in bars.

> The other issue I have (which would likely be solved by a case) is that it's
> a really easy phone to drop (it's shape isn't very friendly to hold) and it
> slides across furniture, even fabric-covered, causing it to become one with
> the floor if you're not really careful.

that's a different issue. one major drawback to the glass on both front
and back is you can't tell which way it's facing by feel, whereas you
can with the older iphone and just about every other phone.

> Despite that, I have found it one of my best upgrades ever. It's got a
> camera that's actually useful, it's dramatically speedier than the old
> phone, its web browsing never hangs like my 3G frequently did, the battery
> lasts longer, and it's actually got voice dialing (which I discovered by
> accident).

the 3gs had voice dialing too.
From: John Navas on
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 14:27:45 +1000, in
<i0rn07$jrn$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, atec7 7 <""atec77\"@
hotmail.com"> wrote:

>David wrote:

>> Gee whiz I doubt that. Considering I am thousands of KM away from them
>> living in the land of Oz I think it more likely it is to do with the
>> design of the phone.
>>
>> And with laying down it doesn't change

>Both my Lg and HTC phones woop the 4 phone on transmission and currently
>the few aps I use on my normal phones are free . no thanks apple it's a
>dud imho

Big part of the reason the Droid is such a smash hit is the excellent
radio performance, which is no surprise given Motorola's expertise.

--
John

If the iPhone and iPad are really so impressive,
then why do iFans keep making excuses for them?