From: John Navas on
On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 22:34:15 -0600, in
<ewUXn.6557$Hw.5768(a)newsfe10.iad>, Todd Allcock
<elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote:

>At 03 Jul 2010 16:38:49 -0700 nospam wrote:
>> In article <vBPXn.6752$Lj2.1476(a)newsfe05.iad>, Todd Allcock
>> <elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I like that meter. My HTC-built Sony X1 (great PDA, terrible phone)
>> > switches from 5 bars to 4 at -90 dbm. That's a meter designed to "hide"
>> > a lousy phone! Consequently, I get very little warning before losing
>> > signal entirely. The bars drop from 5 to 0 rather quickly in weak areas.
>>
>> they're deceiving you. time for a lawsuit. :)
>
>Thankfully, HTC includes a Field Test app with their devices. I'm only a
>few taps away from knowing what the score is, regardless of what the bars
>say.

Yep -- HTC makes great phones, which is why Apple has decided it has to
compete in court instead of just in the market. On my HTC phone: Menu >
Settings > About phone > Status > Signal strength (currently -89 dBm 12
asu).

--
Best regards,
John

If the iPhone and iPad are really so impressive,
then why do iFans keep making excuses for them?
From: Larry on
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote in

> Matching
> a wide range of frequencies is not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Log-periodic_antenna

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/antennas/log_p/log_periodic.php

http://www.tpub.com/content/et/14092/css/14092_35.htm

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/downloads/manuals/DA25.pdf

Here's your slot iPhone 4 antenna...nothing new...
http://archive.electronicdesign.com/files/29/9986/figure_01.gif

http://ceta.mit.edu/PIER/pier86/10.08090701.pdf
very broadband antennas can be made for microwave frequencies from PC board
material.

http://www.sumobrain.com/patents/wipo/Broadband-tem-horn-
antenna/WO1997012252A1.pdf

Matching a wide range of frequencies isn't much of a challenge in 2010.

Placing the antenna where it will have a reasonable chance of radiating
into space is becoming more and more of a political problem as the greenies
take over the political system.

--
Global Warming and Creationism are to science what storks are to
obstetrics...

Larry

From: Larry on

> Yep. Worse, when the system is really busy, like during rush hour,
> VZW will drop calls that have been running for over 10-15 minutes to
> make room for new callers. I suspect the other service providers are
> doing something similar. It's really difficult to tell what caused a
> call to drop from the handset end.

Jeff, did you see the news where the Feds are going to give up another 500
Mhz for more wireless bandwidth?

It was on Google News midweek.

From: Larry on
nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in news:030720102142454132%
nospam(a)nospam.invalid:

> right, and people are blaming the iphone antenna, without having ruled
> out other causes.

Ruling out other causes is very easy. Just pick up the cheapest free phone
ATT sells and dial out a call right next to iPhone 4. Does the call work?
Yes? Not the infrastructure or traffic's fault. That points it quickly at
the real cause of failures.....iPhone 4's defective antenna system.

If Apple's gonna be in the radio business, they need to hire some radio
engineers....

From: John Navas on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 15:12:12 +0000, in
<Xns9DAB71F4CB77Enoonehomecom(a)74.209.131.13>, Larry <noone(a)home.com>
wrote:

>nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in news:030720102142454132%
>nospam(a)nospam.invalid:
>
>> right, and people are blaming the iphone antenna, without having ruled
>> out other causes.
>
>Ruling out other causes is very easy. Just pick up the cheapest free phone
>ATT sells and dial out a call right next to iPhone 4. Does the call work?
>Yes? Not the infrastructure or traffic's fault. That points it quickly at
>the real cause of failures.....iPhone 4's defective antenna system.

Yep.

>If Apple's gonna be in the radio business, they need to hire some radio
>engineers....

They are trying to do just that.