From: Camaleón on
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 20:31:42 +0300, Aioanei Rares wrote:

> On 04/21/2010 08:22 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> For GeForce 7600GS you have the following options:
>>
>> 1/ "nv" driver (only 2-D)
>> 2/ "nvidia" driver from Debian "contrib" and "non-free" sources 3/
>> "nvidia" driver from nvidia website 4/ VESA driver (not recommended)
>>
>> I am currently using option #2 for my GeForce 7600GS in Debian lenny
>> and works pretty well.
>>

> ....how 'bout nouveau? :-)

AFAIK, it isn't available for Lenny ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On 2010-04-21 12:22, Camaleón wrote:
[snip]

> For GeForce 7600GS you have the following options:
>
> 1/ "nv" driver (only 2-D)

Except that Nvidia deprecated this driver a few weeks ago...

> 2/ "nvidia" driver from Debian "contrib" and "non-free" sources
> 3/ "nvidia" driver from nvidia website
> 4/ VESA driver (not recommended)

.... and recommended people use the vesa driver.

nv obviously won't immediately stop working, but as x.org releases
new versions of the client and server, bit-rot will inevitably set in.

> I am currently using option #2 for my GeForce 7600GS in Debian lenny and
> works pretty well.

I use #3 with a 7300GS in a mixed 32/64-bit environment (totally
unsupported by Nvidia, but works like a charm).

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

On 2010-04-21 19:40 +0200, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 2010-04-21 12:31, Aioanei Rares wrote:
> [snip]
>> ....how 'bout nouveau? :-)
>>

> It's not up to snuff yet.

Not in Lenny (and it won't be there), but for Squeeze it should soon
be, it is already in good shape in sid. Note that it is still 2D only,
but it should be much better than the lame nv driver.

Sven

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 01:14:09PM -0400, Ken Heard wrote:
> Further to my original post, it was and is my intention to use replace
> the internal graphics card with Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS card, which I
> have already but have yet to install. It will of course will use a
> different driver. In that case, does it really matter whether I have a
> driver for the Intel integrated graphics chipset, since it will be
> disabled when the new card is installed?

I use a Gigabyte GV-N275UD-896I (nVidia GeForce GT 275) with a Gigabyte X58A-UD7 motherboard, using the propriatary nVidia driver (option 3). So far, performance has been sublime using Lenny, KDE and Compiz. I have no experience with the nv, nouveau or VESA drivers in combination with this card.
From: Camaleón on
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:44:38 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 2010-04-21 12:22, Camaleón wrote: [snip]
>>
>> For GeForce 7600GS you have the following options:
>>
>> 1/ "nv" driver (only 2-D)
>
> Except that Nvidia deprecated this driver a few weeks ago...

.... only for "newer" (fermi) cards ;-)

>> 2/ "nvidia" driver from Debian "contrib" and "non-free" sources 3/
>> "nvidia" driver from nvidia website 4/ VESA driver (not recommended)
>
> ... and recommended people use the vesa driver.

Yes, how bad :-(

> nv obviously won't immediately stop working, but as x.org releases new
> versions of the client and server, bit-rot will inevitably set in.

I agree. I guess from now on nvidia will be pushing their own proprietary
drivers.

>> I am currently using option #2 for my GeForce 7600GS in Debian lenny
>> and works pretty well.
>>

> I use #3 with a 7300GS in a mixed 32/64-bit environment (totally
> unsupported by Nvidia, but works like a charm).

I find it a bit more difficult to manage (if you change the kernel, you
need to recompile the driver again).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Duda
Next: no sound - invalid access on soundcard