From: Hugo Vanwoerkom on
Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2010-04-21 14:48, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Ron Johnson wrote:
> [snip]
>>>
>>> Eh. I'm still running .31 from December. (Will soon be upgrading to
>>> .33, though.)
>>>

>> So will I, as soon as it gets out of experimental
>>

> Or roll your own kernel. You'll learn a lot.

I used to roll my own kernel when the Debian package did not recognize
my USB drives (fixed with adding ums-cypress to
/etc/initramfs-tools/modules) or did not recognize my framebuffer (fixed
by adding edd=off to the kernel cmdline).

I used to both recompile the Debian package as documented:
http://wiki.debian.org/HowToRebuildAnOfficialDebianKernelPackage

and roll my own kernel.

The objection I have to the latter is that one is never quite sure that
..config is correct with the new kernel. My own kernel never had the
problem with USB drives, or with framebuffer, but yet the best of all
worlds is to just install the latest Debian kernel and have it work.

What works with the Debian package and I could never get to work with my
own kernel is:

smartctl -d sat /dev/sda --all -T permissive (=USB drive)

which is another reason that I rather not roll my own: too much diddling
to find the problem.

This will get worse when I get the new mobo.

Hugo

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2010-04-21 14:45, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> I use 3/ and 195.36.15 to drive 2 seats on 2 GeForce 6200 cards
>>

> How's that Studebaker holding up?

You mean AMC Pacer (XL model 1976). Bought it in SFO for $900 sold it
last year in Oaxaca for $150. Saw it half a year ago in the city
belonging to a painter, looking spiffy, he claimed he paid $2000 for it,
duh...

Hugo

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:14:09 -0400, Ken Heard wrote:

> Further to my original post, it was and is my intention to use replace
> the internal graphics card with Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS card, which I
> have already but have yet to install. It will of course will use a
> different driver. In that case, does it really matter whether I have a
> driver for the Intel integrated graphics chipset, since it will be
> disabled when the new card is installed?

No, it doesn't matter *unless* you want to use the Intel VGA.

For GeForce 7600GS you have the following options:

1/ "nv" driver (only 2-D)
2/ "nvidia" driver from Debian "contrib" and "non-free" sources
3/ "nvidia" driver from nvidia website
4/ VESA driver (not recommended)

I am currently using option #2 for my GeForce 7600GS in Debian lenny and
works pretty well.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On 04/21/2010 08:22 PM, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:14:09 -0400, Ken Heard wrote:
>

>> Further to my original post, it was and is my intention to use replace
>> the internal graphics card with Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS card, which I
>> have already but have yet to install. It will of course will use a
>> different driver. In that case, does it really matter whether I have a
>> driver for the Intel integrated graphics chipset, since it will be
>> disabled when the new card is installed?
>>
> No, it doesn't matter *unless* you want to use the Intel VGA.
>
> For GeForce 7600GS you have the following options:
>
> 1/ "nv" driver (only 2-D)
> 2/ "nvidia" driver from Debian "contrib" and "non-free" sources
> 3/ "nvidia" driver from nvidia website
> 4/ VESA driver (not recommended)
>
> I am currently using option #2 for my GeForce 7600GS in Debian lenny and
> works pretty well.
>
> Greetings,

.....how 'bout nouveau? :-)

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Duda
Next: no sound - invalid access on soundcard