From: Nick Douma on
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 06:04:01PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> I find it a bit more difficult to manage (if you change the kernel, you
> need to recompile the driver again).

IMHO that only depends on what Debian distro you use :P. I can live with logging in to the basic shell, running the .sh again and restarting kdm/gdm once every two or three months.
From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-04-21 13:04, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:44:38 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
>> On 2010-04-21 12:22, Camaleón wrote: [snip]
>>> For GeForce 7600GS you have the following options:
>>>
>>> 1/ "nv" driver (only 2-D)
>> Except that Nvidia deprecated this driver a few weeks ago...
>
> ... only for "newer" (fermi) cards ;-)

Will they keep it current with X?

[snip]

> I agree. I guess from now on nvidia will be pushing their own proprietary
> drivers.

It is blazingly fast, and narrows the code base they need to work on...

>>> I am currently using option #2 for my GeForce 7600GS in Debian lenny
>>> and works pretty well.
>>>

>> I use #3 with a 7300GS in a mixed 32/64-bit environment (totally
>> unsupported by Nvidia, but works like a charm).
>
> I find it a bit more difficult to manage (if you change the kernel, you
> need to recompile the driver again).

Eh. I'm still running .31 from December. (Will soon be upgrading
to .33, though.)

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

On 2010-04-21 12:54, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-04-21 19:40 +0200, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
>> On 2010-04-21 12:31, Aioanei Rares wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> ....how 'bout nouveau? :-)
>>>
>> It's not up to snuff yet.

[snip]
> be, it is already in good shape in sid. Note that it is still 2D only,
> but it should be much better than the lame nv driver.

Interesting point.

Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:14:09 -0400, Ken Heard wrote:
>
>> Further to my original post, it was and is my intention to use replace
>> the internal graphics card with Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS card, which I
>> have already but have yet to install. It will of course will use a
>> different driver. In that case, does it really matter whether I have a
>> driver for the Intel integrated graphics chipset, since it will be
>> disabled when the new card is installed?
>
> No, it doesn't matter *unless* you want to use the Intel VGA.
>
> For GeForce 7600GS you have the following options:
>
> 1/ "nv" driver (only 2-D)
> 2/ "nvidia" driver from Debian "contrib" and "non-free" sources
> 3/ "nvidia" driver from nvidia website
> 4/ VESA driver (not recommended)
>
> I am currently using option #2 for my GeForce 7600GS in Debian lenny and
> works pretty well.

I use 3/ and 195.36.15 to drive 2 seats on 2 GeForce 6200 cards

Hugo

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2010-04-21 13:04, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:44:38 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> On 2010-04-21 12:22, Camaleón wrote: [snip]

>>> Except that Nvidia deprecated this driver a few weeks ago...
>>
>> ... only for "newer" (fermi) cards ;-)
>
> Will they keep it current with X?
>
> [snip]
>>
>> I agree. I guess from now on nvidia will be pushing their own
>> proprietary drivers.
>
> It is blazingly fast, and narrows the code base they need to work on...

>>> I use #3 with a 7300GS in a mixed 32/64-bit environment (totally
>>> unsupported by Nvidia, but works like a charm).
>>
>> I find it a bit more difficult to manage (if you change the kernel,
>> you need to recompile the driver again).
>>

> Eh. I'm still running .31 from December. (Will soon be upgrading to
> .33, though.)

So will I, as soon as it gets out of experimental

Hugo

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Duda
Next: no sound - invalid access on soundcard