From: Celejar on
[Replying to my own message.]

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 15:12:24 -0400
Celejar <celejar(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hm, I had thought that at least some of the small, relaying MTAs
> accepted connections on port 25. On closer perusal, it looks like they
> don't.
>
> One option would be to build your own version of one of the big ones,
> with all unnecessary functionality excluded. I don't know what the
> resulting binary size would be.

I was sufficiently intrigued by the (apparent) absence of a simple MTA
that does the above, so I decided to write my own: Tmta. It actually
works, and is documented, although it's still pretty much in the
proof-of-concept stage:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/tmta/

One important thing that it does *not* (yet?) do is fork; it's currently
implemented as a basic, single-threaded daemon, so it can only accept
one connection at a time. It shouldn't be too difficult (famous last
words ...) to convert into a multi-threaded model, although I have no
experience with that sort of thing.

It is still small, though - under 70 lines of actual Perl code,
although it does, of course, require the basic Perl installation and
about a half-dozen other modules.

If anyone has any feedback, or suggestions for improvement, I'd love
to hear them.

Celejar

Celejar put forth on 4/30/2010 3:20 PM:

> It is still small, though - under 70 lines of actual Perl code,
> although it does, of course, require the basic Perl installation and
> about a half-dozen other modules.
>
> If anyone has any feedback, or suggestions for improvement, I'd love
> to hear them.

If you're writing an smtpd from scratch in Perl, why reinvent the wheel?

http://wiki.qpsmtpd.org/

--
Stan

On Fri Apr 30, 2010 at 16:20:40 -0400, Celejar wrote:

> > Hm, I had thought that at least some of the small, relaying MTAs
> > accepted connections on port 25. On closer perusal, it looks like they
> > don't.

> I was sufficiently intrigued by the (apparent) absence of a simple MTA
> that does the above, so I decided to write my own: Tmta. It actually
> works, and is documented, although it's still pretty much in the
> proof-of-concept stage:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/tmta/

qpsmtpd? It is small, plugin-based, and also written in Perl.

There are inetd versions, prefork versions, and simple fork-on-demand
too. Chances are you can configure it to recognise a single domain,
or act as a smart-host with only one of the available plugins which
makes it a trivially portable solution.

Insanely customizable and very very useful to me, but also I think
something that could be used even as a very simple MTA.
Steve

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 16:28:22 -0500
Stan Hoeppner <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> Celejar put forth on 4/30/2010 3:20 PM:
>
> > It is still small, though - under 70 lines of actual Perl code,
> > although it does, of course, require the basic Perl installation and
> > about a half-dozen other modules.
> >
> > If anyone has any feedback, or suggestions for improvement, I'd love
> > to hear them.
>
> If you're writing an smtpd from scratch in Perl, why reinvent the wheel?
>
> http://wiki.qpsmtpd.org/

Thanks. Steve Kemp also pointed this out to me. I hadn't found it,
and since neither you, nor he, responded to me earlier email wondering
if such a thing existed, I decided to practice my perl by coding one
myself ...

Celejar

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 23:10:11 +0100
Steve Kemp <skx(a)debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri Apr 30, 2010 at 16:20:40 -0400, Celejar wrote:
>
> > > Hm, I had thought that at least some of the small, relaying MTAs
> > > accepted connections on port 25. On closer perusal, it looks like they
> > > don't.
>
> ..
>
> > I was sufficiently intrigued by the (apparent) absence of a simple MTA
> > that does the above, so I decided to write my own: Tmta. It actually
> > works, and is documented, although it's still pretty much in the
> > proof-of-concept stage:
> >
> > https://sourceforge.net/projects/tmta/
>
> qpsmtpd? It is small, plugin-based, and also written in Perl.
>
> There are inetd versions, prefork versions, and simple fork-on-demand
> too. Chances are you can configure it to recognise a single domain,
> or act as a smart-host with only one of the available plugins which
> makes it a trivially portable solution.
>
> Insanely customizable and very very useful to me, but also I think
> something that could be used even as a very simple MTA.

Thanks! I missed that one, and when no one corrected my previous email
that wondered if such a thing existed, I assumed that it did not.

I couldn't discern, BTW, whether it supports TLS / SSL to an
upstream MTA? I did find this thread:

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.qpsmtpd/2005/07/msg3404.html

but I have no idea what the current status of this is.

Celejar