From: export on
Does anyone know about a tiny / liteweight SMTP server for Linux( Debian)? I need the
server that can accept several connections at the same time .
I do not need POP3 server

Thanks for help
Ba.

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 18:15:33 +0200
export(a)hope.cz wrote:

> Does anyone know about a tiny / liteweight SMTP server for Linux( Debian)? I need the
> server that can accept several connections at the same time .
> I do not need POP3 server

I'm not sure that I can help, but what, exactly, do you mean by tiny /
liteweight? Binary size, CPU / RAM usage? IIUC, even the heavy
hitters like Exim use very few resources when not under load. E.g., on
my system, htop shows Exim at 0 CPU, and only "6484 648 588" for "VIRT
RES SHR".

This has come up before on the list. What, exactly, are your
restrictions / goals?

Celejar

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 09:19:56AM +0200, export(a)hope.cz wrote:
> I use Linux running in Compact Flash so that the size of the Compact
> flash memory is the limit
> Only SMTP, no POP3 server
> Can you suggest something?

Hello,

This simple search:

$ apt-cache search mta light

showed some exim4 packages and the one you are looking for:

$ apt-cache show msmtp-mta
Package: msmtp-mta
Section: mail
Installed-Size: 100
Maintainer: Emmanuel Bouthenot <kolter(a)openics.org>
Architecture: all
Source: msmtp
Version: 1.4.15-1
Replaces: mail-transport-agent
Provides: mail-transport-agent
Depends: msmtp
Conflicts: mail-transport-agent
Filename: pool/main/m/msmtp/msmtp-mta_1.4.15-1_all.deb
Size: 31580
MD5sum: e1023fbea1950397004a1a4dce9f56ed
SHA1: 01aff21c57739af47d4f56ec2aa6f54cca51395e
SHA256:
e90add2d60dad2bacb1d263d088844db9b68c258b6666ffef1ad3280f1205481
msmtp is an SMTP client that can be used to send mails from Mutt and
probably
other MUAs (mail user agents). It forwards mails to an SMTP server
(for
example at a free mail provider), which takes care of the final
delivery.
Using profiles, it can be easily configured to use different SMTP
servers
with different configurations, which makes it ideal for mobile
clients.
.
This package is compiled with GSASL and TLS/SSL support.
.
This package provides the regular MTA program.
Homepage: http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/
Tag: mail::smtp, mail::transport-agent, protocol::smtp, role::program,
works-with::mail

Regards.

--
Huella de clave primaria: 0FDA C36F F110 54F4 D42B D0EB 617D 396C 448B 31EB
From: Stan Hoeppner on
export(a)hope.cz put forth on 4/24/2010 2:19 AM:

> Hi Celejar,
> Thank you for your reply.
> I use Linux running in Compact Flash so that the size of the Compact flash
> memory is the limit
> Users will send emails to a program running in the Compact flash so I need a
> mail server there too.
> Only SMTP, no POP3 server
> Can you suggest something?

We need many more details before making a proper recommendation:

1. The "program" you mention picks up mail via a pipe or a file? If via
file, does the program expect mbox format or maildir format? If neither,
does the "program" speak smtp? If so, why are you asking your question?
Just bind the program to tcp 25.

2. Storage capacity of the flash device and amount of free space? Do you
already have the perl package installed?

3. Have you ever configured an smtp mta before? If yes, which one(s)?

After you provide these answers we should be able to give you the exact
solution you need, if it is physically possible given your storage constraints.

--
Stan

On Sat,24.Apr.10, 10:51:56, d.sastre.medina(a)gmail.com wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 09:19:56AM +0200, export(a)hope.cz wrote:
> > I use Linux running in Compact Flash so that the size of the Compact
> > flash memory is the limit
> > Only SMTP, no POP3 server
> > Can you suggest something?
>
> Hello,
>
> This simple search:
>
> $ apt-cache search mta light
>
> showed some exim4 packages and the one you are looking for:
>
> $ apt-cache show msmtp-mta
> msmtp is an SMTP client that can be used to send mails from Mutt and
> probably
> other MUAs (mail user agents). It forwards mails to an SMTP server
> (for
> example at a free mail provider), which takes care of the final
> delivery.

msmtp will *not* accept incoming mail (which is what the OP asked for).

The solution is probably one of exim or postfix, possibly recompiled to
keep only a minimum of features needed for the given application, an
answer to Stan's mail will tell more.

Regards,
Andrei
P.S. What keyserver are you using, subkeys keeps timing out when mutt
requests your key