From: Dotan Cohen on
I am looking for KDE 4.4.2 and Open Office 3.2 packages for Lenny. I
have found qt-kde.debian, Debian Experimental, Testing, Unstable, and
Backports. It looks to me that Backports is the best for an everyday
user who values stability, and prefers to use released software
version. Please let me know where I am mistaken. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

On 2010-04-22, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking for KDE 4.4.2 and Open Office 3.2 packages for Lenny. I
> have found qt-kde.debian, Debian Experimental, Testing, Unstable, and
> Backports. It looks to me that Backports is the best for an everyday
> user who values stability, and prefers to use released software
> version. Please let me know where I am mistaken. Thanks.

I recommend debian-backports for users of stable who like to cherry-pick
later versions of software without too much hassle. OOo 3.2 is available
in debian-backports, but not KDE4. The debian KDE maintainers used to
offer KDE4 backports for lenny, but they were discontinued early on in
the KDE4 series.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom

On 22 April 2010 12:25, Liam O'Toole <liam.p.otoole(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-04-22, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am looking for KDE 4.4.2 and Open Office 3.2 packages for Lenny. I
>> have found qt-kde.debian, Debian Experimental, Testing, Unstable, and
>> Backports. It looks to me that Backports is the best for an everyday
>> user who values stability, and prefers to use released software
>> version. Please let me know where I am mistaken. Thanks.
>>

> I recommend debian-backports for users of stable who like to cherry-pick
> later versions of software without too much hassle. OOo 3.2 is available
> in debian-backports, but not KDE4. The debian KDE maintainers used to
> offer KDE4 backports for lenny, but they were discontinued early on in
> the KDE4 series.

Thank you, Liam. That is why I was unable to find the KDE packages. I
thought that I may have been searching on the wrong terms, i.e. the
package is not called "kde" or "kde-desktop".

>From where to acquire KDE 4.4.2 in a reasonably safe manner?

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

On 2010-04-22, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen(a)gmail.com> wrote:
---SNIP---
>From where to acquire KDE 4.4.2 in a reasonably safe manner?

I don't know of any backported binaries, so you would have to compile it
yourself. That, however, would be a major undertaking, and presupposes
that the latest KDE4 even compiles against the versions of the various
libraries included in lenny.

An alternative is to upgrade to testing/unstable, but then you would no
longer have the uncomplicated life of a lenny user :-)

Or you could wait for the next stable release, or at least for the
freeze announcement.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom

> I don't know of any backported binaries, so you would have to compile it
> yourself. That, however, would be a major undertaking, and presupposes
> that the latest KDE4 even compiles against the versions of the various
> libraries included in lenny.

Yes, compiling KDE is not a hassle that I want to take.

> An alternative is to upgrade to testing/unstable, but then you would no
> longer have the uncomplicated life of a lenny user :-)

Exactly, I need a stable distro.

> Or you could wait for the next stable release, or at least for the
> freeze announcement.

That is not really an option, as I want the _latest_ KDE, not simply
4.4. I contribute to KDE and it is important for me to be on the
latest version. I cannot be on a distro that is perpetually a few
point releases behind.

Thanks, Liam! I am still weighing my options, including Debian-based
distros that may be more up to date. I am currently on Kubuntu, but
the 10.04 release is simply terrible and I'm looking for a new distro.
Suse would be my next choice, but I prefer Debian-based.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com