From: Kelly Clowers on
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 12:16, Odd <iodine(a)runbox.no> wrote:
> Paul E Condon wrote:
> -snip-
>>
>> I think a 'no CC' message in a signature block looks unfriendly, even
>> stupid. Like the legal notices about not reading wrongly delivered
>> email. I would not want to create an environment in which any help
>> giver felt an urgent need to do such.
>>
>> As a matter of fact, the current rule is helpful to me in assessing
>> the advice that I get. If I get a CC, I think this guy isn't a real
>> DD --- I wonder if he knows what he's talking about.
>>
>> But if I violate the rules of list etiquette, I prefer to receive an
>> email addressed directly to me rather than to be publicly shamed on
>> the list.
>
> Could you please explain what 'DD' stands for? I seem to have
> missed that one, sorry.

DD = Debian Developer

As far as the no CC unless requested rule, I think we need to keep
it. I am on a couple of mailing lists (vertpaleo and dinoML) that don't
have such a rule and it is messy (there are other, bigger problems,
but CCs definitely contribute).

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 20:16:33 +0100
Odd <iodine(a)runbox.no> wrote:

> Could you please explain what 'DD' stands for? I seem to have
> missed that one, sorry.

Generally, Debian Developer.

Celejar

On 2010-03-19 16:37, Clive McBarton wrote:

> Mark Allums wrote:
>> probably more and more people have a mail UA that has reply-to-list,
>> like Thunderbird 3.
>
> Lenny's default Thunderbird (that is, 2.0.0.22) doesn't though. I
> believe it requires manually changing "Cc:" to "To:" in the list address
> and manual backspacing over the unwanted email address. Please correct
> me if I'm wrong (which I hope is the case).

There's a reply-to-list plugin which for years I've been using to
great effect.

--
Obsession with "preserving cultural heritage" is a racist impediment
to moral, physical and intellectual progress.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 09:17:56AM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> Does this mean that it is OK to CC people now, without a CC
> being requested? Or do many people read the list via the web
> interface to the mailing list archives without being subscribed
> and will still get annoyed if they are CCed? I need some
> guidance here. There have been a number of times that I have
> not CCed people because they didn't explicitly ask for it,
> but because they thought their problem was now solved, they
> were not looking at the list anymore and therefore didn't see
> my follow-up post offering a correction to an earlier mistake,
> etc.
>
> I don't want people to miss posts because they aren't looking.
> But neither do I want to annoy people.

It is policy not to CC unless explicitly requested, but sometimes
discretion is called for. If a poster is obviously a newbie (you can
usually tell by the content but also if the poster has not posted
before.) it shouldn't hurt, although this is fairly rare.

A lot of other lists CC on principle. The argument being that it is more
important that the recipent receive the message in a timely manner (they
may be subscribed to several mailing lists and not read them as often as
their personal mail.

--
Chris.