From: Snood on
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 09:17:56AM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Does this mean that it is OK to CC people now, without a CC
>> being requested? Or do many people read the list via the web
>> interface to the mailing list archives without being subscribed
>> and will still get annoyed if they are CCed? I need some
>> guidance here. There have been a number of times that I have
>> not CCed people because they didn't explicitly ask for it,
>> but because they thought their problem was now solved, they
>> were not looking at the list anymore and therefore didn't see
>> my follow-up post offering a correction to an earlier mistake,
>> etc.
>>
>> I don't want people to miss posts because they aren't looking.
>> But neither do I want to annoy people.
>
> It is policy not to CC unless explicitly requested, but sometimes
> discretion is called for. If a poster is obviously a newbie (you can
> usually tell by the content but also if the poster has not posted
> before.) it shouldn't hurt, although this is fairly rare.
>
> A lot of other lists CC on principle. The argument being that it is more
> important that the recipent receive the message in a timely manner (they
> may be subscribed to several mailing lists and not read them as often as
> their personal mail.

I'm afraid I messed up repeatedly on this when I made my first posts to
this list. Between the number of different sets of preferences amongst
the newsgroups to which I'm subscribing and getting used to a new mail
client (went from Claws to Icedove) I'm probably causing a lot of
disruption. (Hope I did it right this time.)

Paul E Condon wrote:
> As a matter of fact, the current rule is helpful to me in assessing
> the advice that I get. If I get a CC, I think this guy isn't a real
> DD --- I wonder if he knows what he's talking about.

Well, the only problem with that thought is that if you take a quick
look at, say, actual DD posts to debian-devel, you will find rampant
CCing. You will also probably find that DDs on debian-user sometimes CC
users who ask a question, but may not be subscribed to this list.

There are well-known and well-documented procmail and maildrop rules to
drop duplicate mails due to CCs. Anyone who is very bothered by CCs
probably uses those tools. BTW, a common result of using those rules is
for CC'd messages to only show up in the main inbox, rather than in a
mailing list's folder[1]. Which can be convenient, or annoying, depending.

So the existence of the 'no CC' rule in the mailing list code of contact
is probably best understood as being similar to the speed limit: A
well-intentioned rule, often ignored by many to most, that allows
dealing with grevious offenders, but at the cost of allowing the net
police to single out anyone who is just following along, and make their
day miserable.

(Which also explains the following rule in the code of conduct, about
not complaining publically when the CC rule is broken.)

--
see shy jo

[1] Because the CC'd copy typically arrives first, and is lacking the