From: Mark Allums on
On 3/16/2010 11:07 AM, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-03-16 16:35 +0100, Mark Allums wrote:

>> A real problem is that Debian is not compatible with the proprietary
>> driver. Routine system maintenance overwrites files and ruins
>> configurations, requiring reconfiguration. The proprietary driver is
>> not packaged like a regular Debian package, and is not installed "in
>> the Debian Way". This has up to now been mostly harmless, but things
>> could be better.
>
> Why not use nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel-source from non-free which
> _are_ available as regular Debian packages? They do not suffer from the
> problems that you describe here.

They suffer from other problems. The main one being that they are
usually uninstallable. At least, in my experience,
apt/aptitude/Synaptic refuse to install it.

On 2010-03-16 17:14 +0100, Mark Allums wrote:

> On 3/16/2010 11:07 AM, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> On 2010-03-16 16:35 +0100, Mark Allums wrote:
>
>>> A real problem is that Debian is not compatible with the proprietary
>>> driver. Routine system maintenance overwrites files and ruins
>>> configurations, requiring reconfiguration. The proprietary driver is
>>> not packaged like a regular Debian package, and is not installed "in
>>> the Debian Way". This has up to now been mostly harmless, but things
>>> could be better.
>>
>> Why not use nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel-source from non-free which
>> _are_ available as regular Debian packages? They do not suffer from the
>> problems that you describe here.
>

> They suffer from other problems. The main one being that they are
> usually uninstallable. At least, in my experience,
> apt/aptitude/Synaptic refuse to install it.

Because there is usually no pre-built kernel module�; you have to build
one yourself, e.g. with module-assistant:

# aptitude install nvidia-kernel-source
# m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source
# aptitude install nvidia-glx

Sven

� Yes, this sucks.

On 3/16/2010 11:42 AM, Sven Joachim wrote:
>>> Why not use nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel-source from non-free which
>>> _are_ available as regular Debian packages? They do not suffer from the
>>> problems that you describe here.
>>
>> They suffer from other problems. The main one being that they are
>> usually uninstallable. At least, in my experience,
>> apt/aptitude/Synaptic refuse to install it.
>
> Because there is usually no pre-built kernel module�; you have to build
> one yourself, e.g. with module-assistant:
>
> # aptitude install nvidia-kernel-source
> # m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source
> # aptitude install nvidia-glx

Where is this documented, or in other words, how are we expected to know
this?

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 12:42:15 -0400 (EDT), Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-03-16 17:14 +0100, Mark Allums wrote:
>>
>> They suffer from other problems. The main one being that they are
>> usually uninstallable. At least, in my experience,
>> apt/aptitude/Synaptic refuse to install it.
>
> Because there is usually no pre-built kernel module¹; you have to build
> one yourself, e.g. with module-assistant:
>
> # aptitude install nvidia-kernel-source
> # m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source
> # aptitude install nvidia-glx
>
> ¹ Yes, this [is unfortunate].

Maybe one of these days, when I feel more adventuresome, I may give
this a try myself. I have two systems at home with Nvidia video cards.
The trouble is, they're OLD Nvidia cards. The proprietary driver
may have dropped support for them by now. RIVA TNT2 and GeForce2 MX/MX 400
are the respective chipsets, if I recall correctly. And nv works.
And I don't do much with it. I use X primarily for web browsing,
including the use of a web-based e-mail client.
Occasionally, I play a simple 2D game, such as solitaire or
mahjong. I don't run anything intense, such as Google Earth.
So I have very little incentive to try it. But someday, if I get
bored, maybe I'll give it a try.

Oh, one more thing. Does the proprietary Nvidia driver support
interlaced video modes? I have one monitor which requires an
interlaced mode in order to eliminate perceived flicker. It doesn't
have enough video bandwidth to display its maximum resolution
with a non-interlaced mode without noticeable flicker. The last
time I checked, the nv driver didn't support interlacing with the
GeForce2 MX/MX 400 chipset under the Etch release. Maybe that
has changed with Lenny or Squeeze. The Squeeze version of the nv driver
does support interlacing on the RIVA TNT2 chipset. I haven't yet tried
the Lenny or Squeeze versions of the nv driver with the GeForce2 MX/MX 400
chipset to see if either of them support interlacing, but preliminary
internet searching seems to indicate that at least at one time this
was not supported.

If the proprietary Nvidia driver doesn't support interlacing, or
if it doesn't support my chipsets, it's a non-starter for me.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com>
: :' :

Mark Allums schreef:

>>> They suffer from other problems. The main one being that they are
>>> usually uninstallable. At least, in my experience,
>>> apt/aptitude/Synaptic refuse to install it.
>>
>> Because there is usually no pre-built kernel module¹; you have to build
>> one yourself, e.g. with module-assistant:
>>
>> # aptitude install nvidia-kernel-source
>> # m-a a-i nvidia-kernel-source
>> # aptitude install nvidia-glx
>

> Where is this documented, or in other words, how are we expected to know
> this?
By rtfm: http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

Sjoerd