From: Brad Rogers on
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:07:37 +0100
Sven Joachim <svenjoac(a)gmx.de> wrote:

Hello Sven,

> Why not use nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel-source from non-free which
> _are_ available as regular Debian packages? They do not suffer from
> the problems that you describe here.

I actually looked into installing them, but the list of packages that
would have to be removed/replaced looked as though I might end up with a
system where X is totally borked again. So I chickened out.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

I am alone there's nobody there
I Look Alone - Buzzcocks
From: Sven Joachim on
On 2010-03-16 19:39 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:07:37 +0100
> Sven Joachim <svenjoac(a)gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Hello Sven,
>
>> Why not use nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel-source from non-free which
>> _are_ available as regular Debian packages? They do not suffer from
>> the problems that you describe here.
>
> I actually looked into installing them, but the list of packages that
> would have to be removed/replaced looked as though I might end up with a
> system where X is totally borked again. So I chickened out.

If you run squeeze, you need to install the nvidia-* versions from sid.
I don't know why the nvidia-graphics-drivers source package had not been
removed from testing months ago, as it's utterly broken there (the
missing nvidia-kernel-* packages prevent the sid version from
migrating).

Sven

Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:07:37 +0100
> Sven Joachim <svenjoac(a)gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Hello Sven,
>
>> Why not use nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel-source from non-free which
>> _are_ available as regular Debian packages? They do not suffer from
>> the problems that you describe here.
>
> I actually looked into installing them, but the list of packages that
> would have to be removed/replaced looked as though I might end up with a
> system where X is totally borked again. So I chickened out.

Just tried to install the source package. listbugs reports that it has
2 bugs.

1. It won't compile
and
2. bad attempt to nest fakeroot sessions.

Testing on a 686.

Just one more package, of many, that got to testing too fast.

Wayne

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:34:45 +0100
Sven Joachim <svenjoac(a)gmx.de> wrote:

Hello Sven,

> If you run squeeze, you need to install the nvidia-* versions from sid.
> I don't know why the nvidia-graphics-drivers source package had not
> been removed from testing months ago, as it's utterly broken there (the
> missing nvidia-kernel-* packages prevent the sid version from
> migrating).

Ah, that explains some of the shenanigans that I was "threatened" with
when I looked at upgrading to nvidia drivers. Thanks for the advice,
Sven.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

The public wants what the public gets
Going Underground - The Jam
From: Sven Joachim on
On 2010-03-16 21:59 +0100, Wayne wrote:

> Just tried to install the source package. listbugs reports that it
> has 2 bugs.
>
> 1. It won't compile
> and
> 2. bad attempt to nest fakeroot sessions.
>
> Testing on a 686.
>
> Just one more package, of many, that got to testing too fast.

You got it backwards. The version in testing is the same as in stable,
and these bugs are actually fixed in the sid version (which, due to
other problems, cannot migrate to testing).

It has to be conceded that the package is not in the best shape, and the
maintainer is looking for help: http://bugs.debian.org/bug=568952.

Sven