From: Sthu Deus on
Thank You for Your time and answer, Liam:

>Or you could wait for the next stable release, or at least for the
>freeze announcement.

Will it be 4.4 version of KDE in next release? - I thought, 4.3 - that is in testing for now.

On 2010-04-22, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't know of any backported binaries, so you would have to compile it
>> yourself. That, however, would be a major undertaking, and presupposes
>> that the latest KDE4 even compiles against the versions of the various
>> libraries included in lenny.
>>

> Yes, compiling KDE is not a hassle that I want to take.
>

>> An alternative is to upgrade to testing/unstable, but then you would no
>> longer have the uncomplicated life of a lenny user :-)
>>

> Exactly, I need a stable distro.
>

>> Or you could wait for the next stable release, or at least for the
>> freeze announcement.
>>

> That is not really an option, as I want the _latest_ KDE, not simply
> 4.4. I contribute to KDE and it is important for me to be on the
> latest version. I cannot be on a distro that is perpetually a few
> point releases behind.

Unfortunately, the goals of always having the latest KDE and a stable distro
are not compatible.

> Thanks, Liam! I am still weighing my options, including Debian-based
> distros that may be more up to date. I am currently on Kubuntu, but
> the 10.04 release is simply terrible and I'm looking for a new distro.
> Suse would be my next choice, but I prefer Debian-based.

Another thing you could consider: run testing/unstable in a virtual
machine or a chroot on your lenny system. Beware, though, that even in
unstable the upload of major packages can be delayed.

Have you asked other KDE contributors about their setups?

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom

On 2010-04-23, Sthu Deus <sthu.deus(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank You for Your time and answer, Liam:
>
>>Or you could wait for the next stable release, or at least for the
>>freeze announcement.
>
> Will it be 4.4 version of KDE in next release? - I thought, 4.3 - that is in testing for now.

I don't use KDE, so I haven't been paying attention. You can get some
information at http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/.

--
Liam O'Toole
Birmingham, United Kingdom

On 04/22/2010 03:54 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
[snip]
> It looks to me that Backports is the best for an everyday
> user who values stability, and prefers to use released software
> version. Please let me know where I am mistaken. Thanks.

"stable with current releases" is a contradiction. If you want
current releases, run Testing or Unstable. (Ignore the scary words
from the website. Testing and Unstable are Stable Enough.)

If you *really want* Stable, though, deinstall iceweseal, icedove,
openoffice, etc and get their binaries directly from upstream.
There's no shame in that. (For OOo, I'd recommend www.go-oo.org;
it's Debian's upstream.)

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Im still learning how to use mailing lists I read alot but I dont reply
alot.

Testing would be your best bet. If you want current you need debian
unstable.. I think you can get the binary's from the experiential repo
though

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:

> On 04/22/2010 03:54 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> It looks to me that Backports is the best for an everyday
>> user who values stability, and prefers to use released software
>> version. Please let me know where I am mistaken. Thanks.
>>

> "stable with current releases" is a contradiction. If you want current
> releases, run Testing or Unstable. (Ignore the scary words from the
> website. Testing and Unstable are Stable Enough.)
>
> If you *really want* Stable, though, deinstall iceweseal, icedove,
> openoffice, etc and get their binaries directly from upstream. There's no
> shame in that. (For OOo, I'd recommend www.go-oo.org; it's Debian's
> upstream.)
>
> --
> Dissent is patriotic, remember?