From: Dotan Cohen on
On 24 April 2010 02:38, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
> On 04/22/2010 03:54 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> It looks to me that Backports is the best for an everyday
>> user who values stability, and prefers to use released software
>> version. Please let me know where I am mistaken. Thanks.
>
> "stable with current releases" is a contradiction.  If you want current
> releases, run Testing or Unstable.  (Ignore the scary words from the
> website.  Testing and Unstable are Stable Enough.)

Thanks, Ron. I don't see the contradiction: I want released software,
no betas or alphas. I am using the word "stable" as in "not crashy
(doesn't fall down)", not in the sense of "doesn't change".

I wondered if Testing or Unstable would provide that.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

2010-04-24 20:02, Dotan Cohen skrev:

> Thanks, Ron. I don't see the contradiction: I want released software,
> no betas or alphas. I am using the word "stable" as in "not crashy
> (doesn't fall down)", not in the sense of "doesn't change".
>
> I wondered if Testing or Unstable would provide that.

I use debian testing (with a few packages from unstable) because in my
subjective experience, I have had fewer software problems with that
solution than with the normal released versions of ubuntu.

(I have used debian and/or ubuntu since at least 2002.)

Regards

Johan

On 04/24/2010 01:02 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 24 April 2010 02:38, Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
>> On 04/22/2010 03:54 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> It looks to me that Backports is the best for an everyday
>>> user who values stability, and prefers to use released software
>>> version. Please let me know where I am mistaken. Thanks.
>>
>> "stable with current releases" is a contradiction. If you want current
>> releases, run Testing or Unstable. (Ignore the scary words from the
>> website. Testing and Unstable are Stable Enough.)
>>

> Thanks, Ron. I don't see the contradiction: I want released software,
> no betas or alphas.

Testing/Sid *occasionally* have beta software (you can tell by the
"-b" in the version number).

Note the word "occasionally".

Mostly, though, since all non-trivial s/w has bugs, Testing and
Unstable shake out packaging bugs and software bugs is released
software.

> I am using the word "stable" as in "not crashy
> (doesn't fall down)", not in the sense of "doesn't change".
>
> I wondered if Testing or Unstable would provide that.

Yes, absolutely.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Thanks, Johan and Ron!