From: Dave Warren on
In message <xn0gixa9j6qeiej000(a)msnews.microsoft.com> "Jeff Gaines"
<jgaines_newsid(a)yahoo.co.uk> was claimed to have wrote:

>On 15/12/2009 in message <hg77vl$l0o$1(a)news.xmission.com> Sardine wrote:
>
>>Sardine wrote:
>>>My new Win 7/64 does not have a Search available to me.
>>>
>>>I can open "Start" and where most people see a search box, I have nothing.
>>>
>>>If I press "Win" + F I get an error about no program associated, etc.
>>>
>>>Help
>>>
>>>Sardine
>>

>>Never mind, I found a way to recover it.
>>
>>Sardine
>
>Are you going to share that with us?

He/she had the search indexer/service/some-required-component disabled.
From: Sardine on
Tom Orle wrote:
> Sardine <sardine8(a)myway.com> wrote:
>
>> My new Win 7/64 does not have a Search available to me.
>>
>> I can open "Start" and where most people see a search box, I have nothing.
>
> Sardine
>
> Sure it does - every window you open has a search box on top right!
> That one threw me for a loop as well.
>
> I guess it's a Microsoft 'gotcha'! ;-)
>
> -=tom=-

Not quite so easy Tom, I had no search boxes anywhere.
See my post above telling how I recovered. This must have happened
during install because I never did see a search box until I repaired it
last night.

Sardine
From: Jeff Gaines on
On 15/12/2009 in message <hg8mh4$ed2$1(a)news.xmission.com> Sardine wrote:

[snipped]

Many thanks - it may help other people with the same problem :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
If you ever find something you like buy a lifetime supply because they
From: R. C. White on
Hi, Sardine.

I'm glad to see that you've found Windows Search under Windows Features.
Thank you for posting what you did to enable it. But I have a question and
a comment.

First, was your Search box hidden in plain sight? When I click Start, the
Start menu appears, of course, with both a left and a right section. At the
bottom of the left section, just above the Start button, below "All
Programs", there is a box with greyed-out text that reads, "Search programs
and files", followed by a magnifying-glass icon. Do you have that Search
box?

My comment is actually a quote from "Windows 7 Inside Out", by MVP Ed Bott,
et al. In Chapter 9, "Using Windows Search", they have this "Caution!":
"If you poke through the Windows Features list under Control Panel's
Programs And Features category, you might notice an entry for Indexing
Service (Cisvc.exe), which is missing from a default installation of Windows
7. You might be tempted to install and enable it. Don't. This service is a
holdover from previous Windows versions and deserves its reputation as slow
and difficult to use. It was supplanted by Windows Search beginning with
Windows Vista, and the only reason this feature is still available (albeit
buried deeply) is to enable corporate applications that rely on this legacy
service."

Note that this "Indexing Service" is NOT the same as "Windows Search", which
you properly enabled. It also is not quite the same as Control Panel's
"Indexing Options". (Microsoft's crack program-naming crew has been hard at
work again.)

Hmmm... I see that I have the Indexing Service checked. OK, now I've
unchecked it, but haven't rebooted yet. If I get remarkable results after
rebooting, I'll post back with remarks to let you know.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: Dave Warren on
In message <OFxVxwdfKHA.1652(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl> "R. C. White"
<rc(a)grandecom.net> was claimed to have wrote:

>First, was your Search box hidden in plain sight? When I click Start, the
>Start menu appears, of course, with both a left and a right section. At the
>bottom of the left section, just above the Start button, below "All
>Programs", there is a box with greyed-out text that reads, "Search programs
>and files", followed by a magnifying-glass icon. Do you have that Search
>box?

If you disable Windows Search from Programs and Features, this box
disappears (or is deactivated)