From: Sardine on
My new Win 7/64 does not have a Search available to me.

I can open "Start" and where most people see a search box, I have nothing.

If I press "Win" + F I get an error about no program associated, etc.

Help

Sardine
From: Sardine on
Sardine wrote:
> My new Win 7/64 does not have a Search available to me.
>
> I can open "Start" and where most people see a search box, I have nothing.
>
> If I press "Win" + F I get an error about no program associated, etc.
>
> Help
>
> Sardine

Never mind, I found a way to recover it.

Sardine

From: Jeff Gaines on
On 15/12/2009 in message <hg77vl$l0o$1(a)news.xmission.com> Sardine wrote:

>Sardine wrote:
>>My new Win 7/64 does not have a Search available to me.
>>
>>I can open "Start" and where most people see a search box, I have nothing.
>>
>>If I press "Win" + F I get an error about no program associated, etc.
>>
>>Help
>>
>>Sardine
>

>Never mind, I found a way to recover it.
>
>Sardine

Are you going to share that with us?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks
From: Tom Orle on
Sardine <sardine8(a)myway.com> wrote:

>My new Win 7/64 does not have a Search available to me.
>
>I can open "Start" and where most people see a search box, I have nothing.

Sardine

Sure it does - every window you open has a search box on top right!
That one threw me for a loop as well.

I guess it's a Microsoft 'gotcha'! ;-)

-=tom=-

From: Sardine on
Jeff Gaines wrote:

> On 15/12/2009 in message <hg77vl$l0o$1(a)news.xmission.com> Sardine wrote:
>
>> Sardine wrote:
>>> My new Win 7/64 does not have a Search available to me.
>>>
>>> I can open "Start" and where most people see a search box, I have
>>> nothing.
>>>
>>> If I press "Win" + F I get an error about no program associated, etc.
>>>
>>> Help
>>>
>>> Sardine
>>

>> Never mind, I found a way to recover it.
>>
>> Sardine
>
> Are you going to share that with us?

Jeff:
I had no "Win7 Search" under the Start Button or on any Win 7 window. I
have no idea how I lost it but it was probably me as I was installing
and messing with W7/64. The best time to experiment with anything new is
when the product is new and most likely to be under warranty, etc.

In searching the Internet I found this method. I don't recall the links
but I'll tell you what I did.

Before starting this, close all programs you are running, a rather
instant reboot will happen at the end of this procedure.

1. Open Start, Control Panel, click Category in upper right and then
choose Small Icons. Later you can reverse this part if you want.

2. Find Programs & Features and click it. You will see a box with
programs listed.

3. On the left side you will see "Turn Windows Features On Or Off",
click it.

4. Scroll in the new box until you see "Windows Search", put a check
mark that box, only that box, click OK.

At this point I'm now going from memory rather than from my actual
computer screen, I don't want to actually do it again.

5. Follow Windows prompts to save the change you just made. When a
reboot is suggested, do it, it will be a long and abrupt reboot. The
startup will also be longer than normal. After that I (and hopefully
others) will have the search function back.

Sardine