From: J Burns on
Tim Streater wrote:
> In article <1jlabtl.idxwve1dn81xwN%dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz>,
> dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) wrote:
>

>> As the file in question is a PDF, and this is relating to plugins, there
>> could be an interaction with a PDF viewing plugin, such as the one from
>> Adobe Reader.
>
> Why is someone on a Mac using Adobe Reader?

I needed it in April. An online tax preparer threw me a curve. Instead
of a PDF of my completed form, they sent a WML. It wouldn't work with
any browser. Eventually I learned I needed Adobe Reader.

I had Adobe Reader, but it didn't work. I downloaded it again and
discovered that the reason the old one wouldn't work was that when I had
disabled it, Safari had moved the plugin where Safari couldn't find it,
IIRC.

Apparently the preparer had chosen this system so I couldn't save any
record of my tax form to my hard drive. The only record I have is on
paper in a filing cabinet.
From: J Burns on
None of your business wrote:
> In article <dorayme-583440.23181007072010(a)news.albasani.net>,
> dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>

>> I don't type, I just trust Michelle and copy and paste whatever
>> she says. Life has become so much easier since I started to do
>> this.
>
> Ah. You're one of those. Say bye-bye, 'cause I killfile trolls as I
> detect them.

Killfile me, too, please!
From: David Empson on
AES <siegman(a)stanford.edu> wrote:

> In article <1jlah2l.1wbyhj294badN%dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz>,
> dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) wrote:
>
> > . . . and my HP LaserJet 6MP . . .
>
> Any post from a NG participant whose contribution contains this
> throwaway line should be accorded special respect; anyone
> who still uses a 6MP is self-evidently someone of more than
> normal wisdom and time-tested and conservative judgement.

The blasted thing just keeps working. I've had it since 1997 but only on
my third toner cartridge. I'm using it with an HP JetDirect for network
connectivity. (AppleTalk for older Macs as required, JetDirect Socket
over TCP/IP for those running 10.6.)

Compatibility is a minor problem: a particular report generated by my
accounting software can't be printed under Mac OS X 10.5 or later
without causing a Poscript error, and Apple refused to look into it
becuase the printer was too old. I still have a computer running 10.4
and I only need to print that report once a year, so it hasn't bothered
me enough. The same report printed fine on an HP LaserJet 4000, so it
seems to be a generational issue with the Postscript engine.

Speed is the main issue I'd consider getting a newer printer, but I'm
reluctant to get rid of something which just keeps working.

HP used to know how to make good printers. Can't say I'm particularly
impressed with the reliability of any recent ones I've been in regular
contact with.

Minor niggle: its page counter stopped working at some stage. It now
perpetually claims to have printed something just short of 10000 pages
over its lifetime.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz
From: Wes Groleau on
On 07-07-2010 10:37, David Empson wrote:
> I know many Mac users who are using Adobe Reader, mostly out of habit,
> because they were using it back in the Mac OS 9 days and are sticking
> with what they know. On occasion I show them how far Preview has come,
> and some of them have switched.

I haven't used it in a long time, but I may be switching back unless
someone can show me how to make Preview select text in word order, i.e.,
not limit it to a rectangle, AND copy it as _text_ instead of
image for pasting elsewhere.

--
Wes Groleau

Promote multi-use trails in northeast Indiana!
http://www.NorthwestAllenTrails.org/
From: Wes Groleau on
On 07-07-2010 17:18, J Burns wrote:
> None of your business wrote:
>> Ah. You're one of those. Say bye-bye, 'cause I killfile trolls as I
>> detect them.
>
> Killfile me, too, please!

Me first!

--