From: bz on
"Sue..." <suzysewnshow(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote in

> SR *does* address clocks that are moving toward each other.
> "General results of the Theory"

random citation by Sue, only relevance is that it mentions SR
> http://www.bartleby.com/173/15.html

[quote]
IT is clear from our previous considerations that the (special) theory of
relativity has grown out of electrodynamics and optics. In these fields it
has not appreciably altered the predictions of theory, but it has
considerably simplified the theoretical structure, i.e. the derivation of
laws, and�what is incomparably more important�it has considerably reduced
the number of independent hypotheses forming the basis of theory. The
special theory of relativity has rendered the Maxwell-Lorentz theory so
plausible, that the latter would have been generally accepted by
physicists even if experiment had decided less unequivocally in its
favour.

Classical mechanics required to be modified before it could come into
line with the demands of the special theory of relativity. For the main
part, however, this modification affects only the laws for rapid
motions, in which the velocities of matter v are not very small as
compared with the velocity of light. We have experience of such rapid
motions only in the case of electrons and ions; for other motions the
variations from the laws of classical mechanics are too small to make
themselves evident in practice.
[unquote]

the article goes on to study momentum. It says nothing about clocks that
involve momentum keeping time differently from light clocks.
It does NOT even INVOLVE time (except as a hidden, unmentioned component of
velocity)

Sue says that ONLY light clocks obey Einstein-Lorentz time equation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proper_time [which 'she' has cited recently as
a source of wisdom]
show the equations of SR and how they can be derived using GR.

It also shows the so-called twin paradox, and how it can be worked.

There is no hint that 'proper time' only applies to light clocks.
In fact, such a suggestion would seem to be highly 'improper', to me.

--
bz

infinite set.

bz+spr(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
From: colp on
On Dec 2, 6:10 am, Dono <sa...(a)comcast.net> wrote:
> On Nov 30, 11:03 pm, colp <c...(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote:

> > > [...]
>
> > > Reading the page you cite, we find:
>
> > > Special relativity does not account for gravity, but
> > > it can deal with accelerations.
>
> > How does special relativity deal with accelerations?
>
> > Cyclotron experiments have shown that, even at accelerations of 10^19
> > g (g = acceleration of gravity at the Earth's surface), clock rates
> > are unaffected. Only speed affects clock rates, but not acceleration
> > per se.
>
> >http://metaresearch.org/cosmology/gps-relativity.asp
>
> http://physics.nmt.edu/~raymond/classes/ph13xbook/node59.html

The physics.nmt.edu page describes accelerations in SR. However the
page does not describe what time dilation effects occur in an
accelerated frame. Such a description is necessary to solve the
paradox described in the OP for SR.

Describing the experiment from a single inertial frame of refence does
not show a paradox as the symmetry of the experiment means that the
effects which produce the paradox cancell out.

Describing the experiment from the point of view of one of the twins
does show the paradox; the twin observes the time dilation of the
other twin during both the outbound and return inertial frames, and
this effect must be compensated for somehow if a paradox is to be
avoided at the end of the experiment when the twin's clocks are
observed to tell the same time in a common inertial frame.

What is required to solve the paradox is a description of how a twin
sees the other twin's clock jump forward.
From: paparios on
On 1 dic, 22:23, colp <c...(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote:
> On Dec 2, 6:10 am, Dono <sa...(a)comcast.net> wrote:

> Describing the experiment from the point of view of one of the twins
> does show the paradox; the twin observes the time dilation of the
> other twin during both the outbound and return inertial frames, and
> this effect must be compensated for somehow if a paradox is to be
> avoided at the end of the experiment when the twin's clocks are
> observed to tell the same time in a common inertial frame.
>
> What is required to solve the paradox is a description of how a twin
> sees the other twin's clock jump forward.

None of the twins can (realistically) see anything from the other twin
but the signals he receives. This is a really problem of communication
of information. That is the reason why a geometric view helps to see
what is going on. That is the reason why using a third twin, who stays
at Earth, eases the drawings and understanding of the problem (any
frame of reference can be used with the same results but using the
Earth frame helps). From the graphic representation, one can see that
each travelling twin experiences time dilation, with respect to the
Earth frame, both in the outward and inward legs of the trip, the
effect being caused by them moving at relativistic speeds. Information
received by one of the twins from the other two, is clearly dependent
on whether his ship is going outward (and so the signals take a longer
time to reach him) or coming inward (where signals take less time to
reach him). Final result: both travelling twins arrive back to Earth
having experienced the same length of time (according to their local
clocks), but during the trip they "saw" the signals coming from the
other twin doing strange changes of rates (very slow in the first part
of the trip, then quite normal in the middle part and, finally, quite
fast in the last part. Those observations say nothing with respect to
the time dilation experienced (as it has been pointed out they will
notice nothing peculiar in their voyages), which finally manifest
itself when both twins compare their clocks with the third twin who
remained at Earth, observing that they are indeed younger.
Acceleration is not really relevant in this problem, as long as the
acceleration period is small with respect to the inertial period (just
a little bit over a couple of years of acceleration at 1 g will take
the ship to near 0.99c, or shorter if larger g's are used).

Miguel Rios
From: colp on
On Dec 2, 3:12 pm, "papar...(a)gmail.com" <papar...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 dic, 22:23, colp <c...(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote:

> > Describing the experiment from the point of view of one of the twins
> > does show the paradox; the twin observes the time dilation of the
> > other twin during both the outbound and return inertial frames, and
> > this effect must be compensated for somehow if a paradox is to be
> > avoided at the end of the experiment when the twin's clocks are
> > observed to tell the same time in a common inertial frame.
>
> > What is required to solve the paradox is a description of how a twin
> > sees the other twin's clock jump forward.
>
> None of the twins can (realistically) see anything from the other twin
> but the signals he receives.

These signals can be described as clock ticks. According to SR, while
the twins are in inertial frames the ticks that are sent by the other
twin will be sent at a slower rate than the ticks that are sent from
the twin's local clock.

It doesn't matter how long it takes for the tick signals to get from
one twin to another. All that matters is that the rate that the ticks
are generated by the other twin is slower becuase of the time dilation
while they are in inertial frames. Every signal than is sent must be
received by the other twin in the experiment.

> This is a really problem of communication
> of information. That is the reason why a geometric view helps to see
> what is going on.

You're talking about Minkowski diagrams, right?

> That is the reason why using a third twin, who stays
> at Earth, eases the drawings and understanding of the problem (any
> frame of reference can be used with the same results but using the
> Earth frame helps).

The paradox isn't apparent when the events are viewed from a single
inertial frame. Minkowski diagrams represent events according to such
a frame.

> From the graphic representation, one can see that
> each travelling twin experiences time dilation, with respect to the
> Earth frame, both in the outward and inward legs of the trip, the
> effect being caused by them moving at relativistic speeds. Information
> received by one of the twins from the other two, is clearly dependent
> on whether his ship is going outward (and so the signals take a longer
> time to reach him) or coming inward (where signals take less time to
> reach him). Final result: both travelling twins arrive back to Earth
> having experienced the same length of time (according to their local
> clocks), but during the trip they "saw" the signals coming from the
> other twin doing strange changes of rates (very slow in the first part
> of the trip, then quite normal in the middle part and, finally, quite
> fast in the last part. Those observations say nothing with respect to
> the time dilation experienced (as it has been pointed out they will
> notice nothing peculiar in their voyages), which finally manifest
> itself when both twins compare their clocks with the third twin who
> remained at Earth, observing that they are indeed younger.

The fact that the twins are younger than a third twin at the end isn't
the paradoxical aspect of the experiment.

> Acceleration is not really relevant in this problem, as long as the
> acceleration period is small with respect to the inertial period (just
> a little bit over a couple of years of acceleration at 1 g will take
> the ship to near 0.99c, or shorter if larger g's are used).

The importance of acceleration is that it is the only situation where
a twin might be able to experience an effect which compensates for
the time dilation of the other twin.

The consideration of acceleration is necessary because it must have an
effect if the explanation of the classic paradox is true.
In the classic paradox, acceleration is used as an argument against
symmetry, in which either twin could have been considered to be the
travelling twin. Paradoxically, <grin>, acceleration is not used to
quantify time dilation in the classic case, only velocity. (According
to the argument presented at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox#Resolution_of_the_paradox_in_special_relativity)
From: Dono on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox#Accelerated_rocket_calculation