From: Bryan Olson on
kenseto wrote:
> "Daryl McCullough" wrote:
>> Sue... says...
>>
>>> The page shows a young twin beside an old twin after
>>> one twin has traveled.
>>> Does one of the twins have a medical disorder or is the page
>>> it offering argument against the principle of relativity?

>> One twin looks older because he is *older*. He has lived longer.
>> The "time" that is important for physical processes is not
>> coordinate time, but *proper* time.

> This would mean that you are comparing twin A's clock second directly with
> traveling twin B's clock second. Such comparison is not valid. In SR the
> passage of A's clock second corresponds to the passage of 1/gamma B clock
> second.

No Ken; it means one twin has experienced more time passing
than has the other.

--
--Bryan
From: Sue... on

-

http://www.iep.utm.edu/ancillaries/Proper-Time.htm

> >> "Proper time is also called clock time, or process time.
> >> It is a measure of the amount of physical process that a
> >> system undergoes. E.g. proper time for an ordinary mechanical
> >> clock is recorded by the number of rotations of the hands of
> >> the clock."

<< Pseudoscientists invent their own vocabulary in which
many terms lack precise or unambiguous definitions, and
some have no definition at all. Listeners are often forced
to interpret the statements according to their own preconceptions.
What, for for example, is "biocosmic energy?" Or a
"psychotronic amplification system?" Pseudoscientists often
attempt to imitate the jargon of scientific and technical
fields by spouting gibberish that sounds scientific and technical.
Quack "healers" would be lost without the term "energy,"
but their use of the term has nothing whatsoever to do with
the concept of energy used by physicists. >>
http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/pseudo.html

> >> As usual, you have no idea what you are talking about.
>
> >The semantic operator is not functional in physics
> >(or any other branch of science)
>
> Whatever. You don't understand anything at all about
> physics, especially relativity. There is nothing *wrong*
> with that, most people don't understand technical topics
> in science.

There is nothing particularly *technical* about the
rigid co-ordinate system, necessary for the temporal
values you derive. It follows from some basic relations
known for over 2000 years and formally taught to
middle school students today:

http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/phys/Class/newtlaws/u2l1b.html

It becomes more *technical* when the observed
finite speed of light runs counter to the
existence of such a coordinate system as a physical entity.

<< Already Newton recognized that the law of inertia
is unsatisfactory in a context so far unmentioned
in this exposition, namely that it gives no
real cause for the special physical position of
the states of motion of the inertial frames relative
to all other states of motion. It makes the observable
material bodies responsible for the gravitational
behaviour of a material point, yet indicates no
material cause for the inertial behaviour of the material
point but devises the cause for it (absolute space or
inertial ether). This is not logically inadmissible
although it is

===> unsatisfactory. <===

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/1921/einstein-lecture.html

Simple abandon of Newton's light along with Newton's inertial
ether removes the conflict.

> But most people are not as thoroughly dishonest
> as you are. They don't *pretend* to understand what they
> clearly don't understand.

One does not have to put on any great pretense to
be credible at identifying the use of a rigid co-ordinate
system where the theory which you are misrepresenting denies
its existance.

"It is middle school algegra."

> You are too lazy to actually learn what relativity says,
> and too arrogant to realize that that makes your opinions
> about it completely worthless.

Many thanks for the highest compliment a pseudo-scientist
can offer. :-)

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/pseudo.html

Sue...

From: Bryan Olson on
colp wrote:
> Daryl McCullough wrote:
>> Colp, if you want to complain about what Special Relativity
>> says about the situation, you *MUST* understand what Special
>> Relativity says. You can't just make stuff up and then complain
>> that it doesn't make sense.
>
> What am I making up?
>
> SR says that time dilation is observed for a relativistically moving
> clock when the observer is in an inertial frame.
> That time dilation is observed regardless of whether the clock is
> moving closer or moving away.
> When A is moving away from B, A observes that B's time is dilated.
> When A is moving towards B, A observes that B's time is dilated.
> When A & B meet their clocks are the same.
> For their clocks to be the same time, A must have observed that B's
> time was compressed at some stage.
> SR does not describe time compression.

That you made up. According to SR, A's change it frames will
result in A seeing B's age jump forward.

You've made up other bits too, as we've pointed out.

> Your descriptions of the events from the three frames appear to be
> self-consistent and I do not contest them.

The challenge for you is to *learn* from them. There's a broader
lesson here than that relativity is consistent and you had some
details wrong.

>> In any *given* coordinate system, the facts are
>> perfectly consistent. But if you try to mix and
>> match facts from one coordinate system with facts
>> from another coordinate system, you get nonsense,
>> just as if you switched from using inches to using
>> centimeters in the middle of a calculation.
>
> That nonsense is the paradox that I am talking about. Facts from one
> coordinate system do get mixed and matched with facts from other
> coordinate systems.

That nonsense is all your own.

> An example of the is clock synchronisation for GPS
> sattelites.

Where relativity is right yet again.

--
--Bryan
From: Daryl McCullough on
Sue... says...

>http://www.iep.utm.edu/ancillaries/Proper-Time.htm

><< Pseudoscientists invent their own vocabulary in which
>many terms lack precise or unambiguous definitions

Which is exactly what you've done. The definition of "proper
time" used by relativity is completely precise:

tau = integral of square-root(g_uv dx^u dx^v)

It has nothing to do with "distant clocks".

You are a charlatan.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Sue... on
On Nov 30, 9:16 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
wrote:
> Sue... says...
>
> >http://www.iep.utm.edu/ancillaries/Proper-Time.htm

> ><< Pseudoscientists invent their own vocabulary in which
> >many terms lack precise or unambiguous definitions
>
> Which is exactly what you've done. The definition of "proper
> time" used by relativity is completely precise:
>
> tau = integral of square-root(g_uv dx^u dx^v)
>
> It has nothing to do with "distant clocks".

It CAN have to do with both distance clocks
and near clocks.

<< Figure 3: The wave impedance measures
the relative strength of electric and magnetic
fields. It is a function of source [absorber] structure. >>
Formerly: http://www.conformity.com/0102reflections.html
http://www.sm.luth.se/~urban/master/Theory/3.html

But you will have to give up light particles or
take up QED if you hope to resolve your paradox
without resort to the supernatural.

I suggest you walk befor you run:

Time-independent Maxwell equations
Time-dependent Maxwell's equations
Relativity and electromagnetism
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/em/lectures/lectures.html

http://web.mit.edu/8.02t/www/802TEAL3D/visualizations/light/index.htm
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/D.Jefferies/antennas.html

> You are a charlatan.

There is only ONE issue in the original post.
You don't need to withdraw you argument THREE times. :o)

Sue...