From: Sue... on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_relativity

> > Yes, and what those laws say is that the amount of aging
> > of any twin is equal to the proper time since he is born,
> > where proper time is computed by:

<< tau = integral of square-root(g_uv dx^u dx^v)

In GR it is completely rational to grid a region
of space as Newton's ether so its volume can has
a relationship to electromagnetic energy or
the equivalent mass. That is how inertia enters
the field equations.

But it is completly unnecessary to hold SR's postulates
to a Newtonian space to resolve a conflict that
does not even exist and is already resolved in
classical EM.

That may be unclear, even in the 1920 paper
<< in reality there is not the least incompatibility
between the principle of relativity and the law of
propagation of light >>
http://www.bartleby.com/173/7.html

but is seems perfectly clear in Weinberg's
statement:
<<A Lorentz transformation or any other coordinate
transformation will convert electric or magnetic
fields into mixtures of electric and magnetic fields,
but no transformation mixes them with the
gravitational field. >>
http://www.aip.org/pt/vol-58/iss-11/p31.html

Sue...

From: Daryl McCullough on
Sue... says...

>On Nov 29, 10:58 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
>wrote:
>> Sue... says...
>>
>> >The page shows a young twin beside an old twin after
>> >one twin has traveled.
>> >Does one of the twins have a medical disorder or is the page
>> >it offering argument against the principle of relativity?
>>
>> One twin looks older because he is *older*. He has lived longer.
>>
>> The "time" that is important for physical processes is not
>> coordinate time, but *proper* time.
>
>Proper time is the appearace of a distant clock.

It's hard to imagine a more incorrect answer than that.
No, that's completely wrong. Proper time is the time
shown on a *local* clock. Look at your watch. Note
the time. Now walk a couple of blocks and look at
your watch again. The difference in the two times is
the proper time for the path that you just took.

It doesn't have anything to do with distant clocks.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Sue... on
On Nov 29, 2:22 pm, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
wrote:
> Sue... says...
>

> >On Nov 29, 10:58 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
> >wrote:
> >> Sue... says...

> >> One twin looks older because he is *older*. He has lived longer.
>
> >> The "time" that is important for physical processes is not
> >> coordinate time, but *proper* time.
>
> >Proper time is the appearace of a distant clock.
>
> It's hard to imagine a more incorrect answer than that.
> No, that's completely wrong. Proper time is the time
> shown on a *local* clock. Look at your watch. Note
> the time. Now walk a couple of blocks and look at
> your watch again. The difference in the two times is
> the proper time for the path that you just took.
>
> It doesn't have anything to do with distant clocks.

<< A clock in a moving frame will be seen to be
running slow, or "dilated" according to the Lorentz
transformation. The time will always be shortest as
measured in its rest frame. The time measured in the
frame in which the clock is at rest is called the
"proper time". >>
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/tdil.html

It's a good job my temper isn't as short as your
memory. That is in the 1920 paper and both
were quoted to you yesterday.

If you haven't heard that Roosevelt lost to Taft
then maybe you've been on a long voyage and
there really is something to this time travel
thing. :o)

Sue...

From: Daryl McCullough on
Sue... says...

>On Nov 29, 2:22 pm, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
>wrote:
>> Sue... says...

>> >Proper time is the appearace of a distant clock.
>>
>> It's hard to imagine a more incorrect answer than that.
>> No, that's completely wrong. Proper time is the time
>> shown on a *local* clock. Look at your watch. Note
>> the time. Now walk a couple of blocks and look at
>> your watch again. The difference in the two times is
>> the proper time for the path that you just took.
>>
>> It doesn't have anything to do with distant clocks.
>
><< A clock in a moving frame will be seen to be
>running slow, or "dilated" according to the Lorentz
>transformation. The time will always be shortest as
>measured in its rest frame. The time measured in the
>frame in which the clock is at rest is called the
>"proper time". >>
>http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/tdil.html

Proper time, as it says right there is the time measured in
the frame in which the clock is at rest. It has nothing
to do with distant clocks.

As usual, you have no idea what you are talking about.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Daryl McCullough on
Sue... says...

>On Nov 29, 2:22 pm, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
>wrote:
>Sue wrote:
>> >Proper time is the appearace of a distant clock.
>>
>> It's hard to imagine a more incorrect answer than that.
>> No, that's completely wrong. Proper time is the time
>> shown on a *local* clock. Look at your watch. Note
>> the time. Now walk a couple of blocks and look at
>> your watch again. The difference in the two times is
>> the proper time for the path that you just took.
>>
>> It doesn't have anything to do with distant clocks.
>
><< A clock in a moving frame will be seen to be
>running slow, or "dilated" according to the Lorentz
>transformation. The time will always be shortest as
>measured in its rest frame. The time measured in the
>frame in which the clock is at rest is called the
>"proper time". >>
>http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/tdil.html

I have no idea why you think that passage supports your claim.
Here's another article that explains what I was saying:

http://www.iep.utm.edu/ancillaries/Proper-Time.htm

"Proper time is also called clock time, or process time.
It is a measure of the amount of physical process that a
system undergoes. E.g. proper time for an ordinary mechanical
clock is recorded by the number of rotations of the hands of
the clock."