From: Mark Allums on
On 6/19/2010 1:02 AM, ABS Doug wrote:

[snip rant]

Torrents are trouble. Avoid them, if practical. Your ISP may be
throttling them, although I can't see what difference the version of
Ubuntu would make.

However, if a Windows client works, then ask yourself if you need Linux
for other things, or whether Windows will suit your needs. (I have two
machines at home, one with Win, one with Debian Squeeze (testing). The
Win machine is set up for those rare times when Debian isn't right for
the job.)

I think you may not be sure about what we mean by stable/unstable. The
Stable distribution is suitable for most needs, but may not be the most
up-to-date. Unstable is the place where new programs, or new versions
of programs, enter the Debian world. In between is Testing, where
things reside after they've had some use and are appearing to be
"stable" (by your meaning). The Testing distribution is destined to
become the new Stable in the fullness of time. Squeeze is the code name
for the current Testing. Sid is the perpetual code name for Unstable.

Dne, 19. 06. 2010 08:15:01 je Nuno Magalhães napisal(a):
> mlnet never gave me trouble and it's on 24/7

I'll second that. The only drawback is, mlnet doesn't implement the
upload/download ratio required by certain torrents/trackers, so you
appear to them not to be uploading at all; eventually, they'll shut you
off as a leecher.

In addition, the multimedia moguls just can't stand the bittorrent
protocol and will do anything to undermine it. I suspect that's why the
Internet is swarming with malformed torrents and fake trackers aimed at
destabilizing torrent clients. Just try downloading a Debian ISO
torrent (even 100 instances in parallel if you can afford the
bandwidth): I'll bet your connection won't choke anymore... ;P

Just my 2¢.

--
Regards,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Den 19. juni 2010 09:38, skrev Mark:
> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 12:16 AM, Eero Volotinen
> <eero.volotinen(a)iki.fi <mailto:eero.volotinen(a)iki.fi>> wrote:
>
> > Equipment: WRT54G, Acer Aspire One
>
> I think your torrent client is killing the router. (filling nat tables
> and eating cpu). You should buy more powerful router..
>

> Um, no. I have the identical router and have never had problems with
> torrents.

The router config can make a difference. Switch off firewall etc in the
router, especially statefull rules. Turn off NAT. That will save a LOT
of memory in the router.

From: Mark on
On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 6:00 AM, Håkon Alstadheim
<hakon(a)alstadheim.priv.no>wrote:

> Den 19. juni 2010 09:38, skrev Mark:
>
> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 12:16 AM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen(a)iki.fi>wrote:
>
>> > Equipment: WRT54G, Acer Aspire One
>>
>> I think your torrent client is killing the router. (filling nat tables
>> and eating cpu). You should buy more powerful router..
>>

> Um, no. I have the identical router and have never had problems with
> torrents.
>

> The router config can make a difference. Switch off firewall etc in the
> router, especially statefull rules. Turn off NAT. That will save a LOT of
> memory in the router.

This doesn't make ANY sense because the OP stated he downloads torrents fine
in Windows and Ubuntu 9.04 on the same machine. Why tell him to waste time
on something that isn't the problem?
From: Tim Clewlow on
> at some point, minutes, hours,
> I'll loose my internet connection.
..

What do you have to do to get the connection back? Restart
networking on the torrent client computer, or, restart the
modem/router, or perhaps you have a separate firewall that requires
a (networking) restart. The answer to this question will help
determine where the problem is.

Regards, Tim.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9