From: Andrei Popescu on
On Du, 20 iun 10, 00:41:29, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sb, 19 iun 10, 02:02:17, ABS Doug wrote:
>
> [problems with torrents]
>
> If you're on wireless try a wired connection for a while.

Did you get to trying wired only?

Regards,
Andrei
On 06/21/2010 12:01 AM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:44:17PM -0400, ABS Doug wrote:
>
> .........snip........
>

>> Ok now I REALIZE what people have been trying to communicate. I
>> hope I can help those smarter than I... please REALIZE, we noobs don't
>> even KNOW what info to give until the "pros" ask! Dmesg? Ok, I know I
>> type that in terminal& post what happens next, but I don't know what
>> Dmesg is or how it helps until someone asks! I'd LOVE to progress
>> further to know all about Dmesg, but until someone brings it up, I
>> don't know about a LOT of stuff!
>
> ........snip.........
>
> It sounds like the most effective thing you could do would be to pick up
> a comprehensive Linux book and spend some quality time with it.

I found the best way was to install Mandrake (the Ubuntu of it's
day) and then, as much as possible at any one time, use CLI tools
instead of GUI tools.

At first that meant lots'o'GUI and little cli, but that changed over
time. Knowing how to program and having deep CLI/scripting
experience on a minicomputer surely helped.

Also, having a *task* to accomplish always helps focus the mind.

--
Seek truth from facts.

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:22 AM, Huang, Tao <debian(a)huangtao.me> wrote:

> so the torrents render you wireless disconnected.
>
> if your wifi adapter driver supports auto-reconnecting, everything
> should be solved. but i have no idea on how to get there.
>
> correct me if i get it wrong.

My visual indicator something is wrong is when Skype goes offline. The
signal meter shows a connection, but once Skype goes offline, I can't
do anything until I disconnect & reconnect. I'd be able to live with
the problem if there was a auto-reconnection, but since the connection
doesn't actually disconnect...?

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 2:13 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:

>> It sounds like the most effective thing you could do would be to pick up
>> a comprehensive Linux book and spend some quality time with it.

I do have a book. It is quite handy & I do read it often. The CLI
stuff... I'd have to take a really methodical approach to. At present
I have similar distaste for it that I had back in 1980 with Basic,
TRS-80, my Vic 20. I went to this computer summer camp, I remember
copying code for a Pac Man type game. It didn't work & when the
teacher said, "We'll have to go back & see where you mistyped" I was
d-o-n-e. I didn't get back into computers till Window 3.11 & to be
honest never did learn anything but GUI. CLI is great if you can
remember *exactly* what needs to be typed, but my brain doesn't
naturally learn like that. I'd have to "study". I'm guessing I'm not
grasping the over pattern of thinking with the CLI & once I start
really trying to learn, I'll have a breakthrough. Right now it seems
like a lot of random, unfamiliar, exact instructions that are seldom
used over & I'm pretty sure that can't be the case.

Dne, 21. 06. 2010 04:10:28 je H.S. napisal(a):

> I think he is over-simplifying the problem of flaky wireless, but I
> understand where he is coming from. I have discovered that a buggy
> driver, or buggy firmware on the wireless card, or both, can cause
> wireless connectivity problems over time. It doesn't need to be
> torrents
> of course, any network traffic will give similar results.

+1

> A workaround is to
> restart the networking.

In my experience, this is not *always* true. On some platforms, ifdown
followed by ifup helps. On some platforms, restarting network-manager
helps. On some platforms, unloading the wireless kernel module and
re-inserting it helps. On some platforms, such as my HP 6715b laptop w/
the proprietary Broadcom wl driver, sometimes putting the laptop to
sleep and then waking it up again helps (short of rebooting, of course).

--
Regards,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801