From: Huang, Tao on
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 10:10 AM, H.S. <hs.samix(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/20/10 21:55, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 06/20/2010 08:26 PM, Huang, Tao wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> torrents over wireless can be very tricky.
>>
>> Why?
>>

> I think he is over-simplifying the problem of flaky wireless, but I
> understand where he is coming from. I have discovered that a buggy
> driver, or buggy firmware on the wireless card, or both, can cause
> wireless connectivity problems over time. It doesn't need to be torrents
> of course, any network traffic will give similar results. In my case, I
> run a WAP on my Debian router machine and provide WLAN to my home. The
> driver for the wireless AP card has had problem in the last few years on
> and off (the Debian package, first madwifi and then hostapd). In every
> such cases, I have had to restart the wireless driver to get it sort of
> "reset". It has improved recently though, currently I am not having
> problems as frequently.
>
> So, yes, wireless connections in Linux can be tricky sometimes, but I
> don't think that is dependent on the type of traffic. A workaround is to
> restart the networking.

i'm constantly restarting my wireless connection, unless i'm at home
with my own WRT54G.

you have no control at all on how the wifi hotspots were configured,
which is also the case of ABS Doug.
port-forwarding (or upnp) is needed for good torrents performance.
if the number of connections is not limited, the router resouces will
be used up pretty soon, especially on share hotspots.
downloading over http can be resumed smoothly after a networking
restarting, but torrents suffer more on this.

i havn't been trying wireless torrenting since i had lots of bad
experiences on it 4 years ago. so maybe the drivers have been improved
significantly and my points are just out-dated.

Tao
--
http://huangtao.me/
http://www.google.com/profiles/UniIsland

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 10:47 PM, Huang, Tao <debian(a)huangtao.me> wrote:

> you have no control at all on how the wifi hotspots were configured,
> which is also the case of ABS Doug.
> port-forwarding (or upnp) is needed for good torrents performance.
> if the number of connections is not limited, the router resouces will
> be used up pretty soon, especially on share hotspots.
> downloading over http can be resumed smoothly after a networking
> restarting, but torrents suffer more on this.

I DO have access to the router, just not able to run a cable to it. I
have the password & can modify settings as long as I'm not screwing
anyone else in house.

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 1:24 AM, Zoran Kolic <zkolic(a)sbb.rs> wrote:

> He-he! Contrary.
> I assume poster tries to solve the problem himself first.
> Aside of being polite, it is a fun to learn new things.
> Some lists, like openbsd ones, ask you to do various steps
> toward answer to the question. Describing the very problem,
> giving data on hardware and software, dmesg etc. It really
> helps. Knowning how to ask the question even lets you find
> the way to go around. It is not the matter of not wanting
> to help. I'm not sure what direction to help. What is the
> app for torrenting? Error messages? Dmesg output? If in
> any way possible to divide os bug from application behave-
> our, might be easier to try #torrent-app irc channel or
> <my-app> forum. If os, at least the way the node connects
> to the internet. Wired, wireless? Firewall? Nat?

Ok now I REALIZE what people have been trying to communicate. I
hope I can help those smarter than I... please REALIZE, we noobs don't
even KNOW what info to give until the "pros" ask! Dmesg? Ok, I know I
type that in terminal & post what happens next, but I don't know what
Dmesg is or how it helps until someone asks! I'd LOVE to progress
further to know all about Dmesg, but until someone brings it up, I
don't know about a LOT of stuff!

-App for torrenting: name um I've tried um.
-Error messages: Don't know where to look. Visual indication is Skype
is offline & internet is offline
-Dmesg: LOTS of information, seems like too much to (politely) post.
-torrent-app irc, <my-app>... I'll Google, but if you have more
specifics, please!
-Node: nodes?
-Wireless, no extra firewall in Debian, nothing I've added
-nat... "Filter Internet NAT Redirection" is not checked

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:44 AM, ABS Doug <absdoug(a)gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> -Error messages: Don't know where to look. Visual indication is Skype
> is offline & internet is offline

so the torrents render you wireless disconnected.

if your wifi adapter driver supports auto-reconnecting, everything
should be solved. but i have no idea on how to get there.

correct me if i get it wrong.

Tao
--
http://huangtao.me/
http://www.google.com/profiles/UniIsland

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:44:17PM -0400, ABS Doug wrote:

.........snip........

> Ok now I REALIZE what people have been trying to communicate. I
> hope I can help those smarter than I... please REALIZE, we noobs don't
> even KNOW what info to give until the "pros" ask! Dmesg? Ok, I know I
> type that in terminal & post what happens next, but I don't know what
> Dmesg is or how it helps until someone asks! I'd LOVE to progress
> further to know all about Dmesg, but until someone brings it up, I
> don't know about a LOT of stuff!

It sounds like the most effective thing you could do would be to pick up
a comprehensive Linux book and spend some quality time with it.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279