From: Ron Johnson on
On 06/20/2010 04:23 PM, ABS Doug wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 1:08 AM, Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
>
>> pan2, unrar and par2 got me over my distrust of multi-part downloads.
>
> Yep. Funny thing too, these days I almost *NEVER* find anything
> incomplete or corrupted. I only download par2 files& run the check...
> can't remember the last time I need to repair.
>
>> Depends on the h/w and kernel version. First step is:
>> $ lspci | grep Ethernet
>
> AcerAspireOne:/home/absdoug# lspci | grep Ethernet
> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x
> 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)

So, are you connecting via wire or wireless?

--
Seek truth from facts.

On 06/20/10 17:54, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 06/20/2010 04:30 PM, ABS Doug wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> I rent a room. The router is in a different part of the house. WiFi is
>> included in the rent. I already asked about moving the router, but
>> that isn't gunna happen. The router isn't even mine. I might end up
>> trying to run a splitter at some point, but right now it's just not an
>> option. I do appreciate all the advice. I'm gunna try a safe torrent
>> right now.
>>

> Ah, then it *might* be a problem with your Atheros driver.

Yes, that could be also the reason. But for this, a simple restart of
networking should fix the problem:
$> sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

This requires that client computer get the same LAN IP however,
otherwise the torrent may need to re-establish all the connections, thus
introducing some "startup delay".

ever having been read.

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 5:30 AM, ABS Doug <absdoug(a)gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> I rent a room. The router is in a different part of the house. WiFi is
> included in the rent. I already asked about moving the router, but
> that isn't gunna happen. The router isn't even mine. I might end up
> trying to run a splitter at some point, but right now it's just not an
> option. I do appreciate all the advice. I'm gunna try a safe torrent
> right now.

torrents over wireless can be very tricky.
i guess a cable would solve your problem.

Tao
--
http://huangtao.me/
http://www.google.com/profiles/UniIsland

On 06/20/2010 08:26 PM, Huang, Tao wrote:
[snip]

> torrents over wireless can be very tricky.

Why?

--
Seek truth from facts.

On 06/20/10 21:55, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 06/20/2010 08:26 PM, Huang, Tao wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> torrents over wireless can be very tricky.
>
> Why?

I think he is over-simplifying the problem of flaky wireless, but I
understand where he is coming from. I have discovered that a buggy
driver, or buggy firmware on the wireless card, or both, can cause
wireless connectivity problems over time. It doesn't need to be torrents
of course, any network traffic will give similar results. In my case, I
run a WAP on my Debian router machine and provide WLAN to my home. The
driver for the wireless AP card has had problem in the last few years on
and off (the Debian package, first madwifi and then hostapd). In every
such cases, I have had to restart the wireless driver to get it sort of
"reset". It has improved recently though, currently I am not having
problems as frequently.

So, yes, wireless connections in Linux can be tricky sometimes, but I
don't think that is dependent on the type of traffic. A workaround is to
restart the networking.

ever having been read.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9