From: Rainald Taesler on
diane wrote:
> handwriting .. the main thing I will miss is Windows Mail

You may re-animate it ;-)
It's running fine on my system under Win7 Pro.
If you need a recipe, pls let me know.

> .. is it still there ??

Yes, but castrated. One has to exchange the MSOE.dll with the one from
Vista and add a number of Registry-entries (easily done with a REG-file
I created/modified; I could mail it to you).

> I don't like Outlook 2007 and I *** HATE *** outlook 2010

I did never like Outlook at all! I use it for Contacts, Calendar and
Tasks because it's needed for synching things with my PDA-phone. For
mail I use it only in special situations.

IMO OL2010 has really gained because it's longer "mixed" Menu and
Ribbon.
I have been using Office 2007 since its early Beta and got used to the
Ribbon meanwhile ;-)

> ... Good grief .. did they just create that upgrade to beat up the
> user ??? All this jumping around from windows to windows to menu to
> ribbon ..

IMO it's just getting used to it.
Serious drawbacks however, for TabletPC usage. Especially with OneNote
(my most used application of all) things have become worse. A number if
things can be cures by customizing the QAT (Quick Access Taskbar).

> I was looking for "undo" I think and eventually gave
> up and started all over ..

<bg>
I have put the most used things onto the QAT and "Undo" is at hand with
just one click ;-) :-)

> I have been using Outlook since the
> beginning of time .. When they came out with 2007 I began using
> Microsoft Mail and I love it !!!

"Windows Mail" (WinMail) I assume.

> The more I used it, the more I liked it .. With my new computer
> I installed 2010 once again .. I will give it a try for a
> short while .. In the meantime .. Is Windows Mail
> buried in Win7 ?? I thought I saw it once on my other computer.

As said above: The files are still there (c:\program files\ windows
mail). It's not functional. But this can be cured easily with the file
from Vista.

HTH
Rainald

From: Rainald Taesler on
Geoff Coupe wrote:
> "diane" wrote

>> Is Windows Mail buried in Win7 ?? I thought I saw it once on my other
>> computer.
>
> Windows Mail was shipped with Vista as the successor to Outlook
> Express. However, Microsoft has now scrapped both Outlook Express and
> Windows Mail in favour of Windows Live Mail, which is part of the
> Windows Live Essentials suite of applications.
>
> Windows Live Mail is actually pretty good,

I take the liberty to disagree.
I for one do not like it all (close to hating it).

> I don't miss Outlook Express, Outlook or Windows Mail at all.

OE and WinMail for me were essentials as I need to have News and Mail in
the same application.
Most probably in the long run I'll make the move to Thunderbird. Nut
this takes quite some preparations (mail-store <!>).
I'm happily using WinMail under Win7 as before. There will be no support
from MS (no security patches etc.) but it will do for a foreseeable
future ;-) :-)

Rainald

From: 'whatever' on
"Rainald Taesler" <taesler(a)gmx.de> wrote in message
> Geoff Coupe wrote:
>> "diane" wrote
>
>>> Is Windows Mail buried in Win7 ?? I thought I saw it once on my other
>>> computer.
>>
>> Windows Mail was shipped with Vista as the successor to Outlook
>> Express. However, Microsoft has now scrapped both Outlook Express and
>> Windows Mail in favour of Windows Live Mail, which is part of the
>> Windows Live Essentials suite of applications.
>>
>> Windows Live Mail is actually pretty good,
>
> I take the liberty to disagree.
> I for one do not like it all (close to hating it).
>
>> I don't miss Outlook Express, Outlook or Windows Mail at all.
>
> OE and WinMail for me were essentials as I need to have News and Mail in
> the same application.
> Most probably in the long run I'll make the move to Thunderbird. Nut
> this takes quite some preparations (mail-store <!>).
> I'm happily using WinMail under Win7 as before. There will be no support
> from MS (no security patches etc.) but it will do for a foreseeable
> future ;-) :-)
>
> Rainald

I AGREE !!! I HATE WINDOWS LIVE .. It is so slow ... Seems to bog down my
computer. Try to mail from the web and it takes an eternity to open .. You
can get news with Live but that is even more annoying .. and why do they
keep hiding the menu .. gotta search and select to show it .. why would
anyone NOT want to see the menu ?? sheesh .. Did I mention I hate Windows
Live ??

With Outlook there is something called Outlook Connector so you can check
hotmail. Lately, it no longer remembers my passwords. What's up with that?

Diane

From: 'whatever' on
PLEASE SEND THE RECIPE !! Need an email address ??
theonlynickleft at hotmail dot com

From: Beverly Howard on
agree... winlive makes OE look good... an almost impossible feat ;-)

Mozilla Suite (SeaMonkey) includes an email/newsreader (same engine as
Thunderbird) which is _far_ superior to any incarnation of outlook for
both mail and newsgroups.

Related, I have been experimenting with Google Contacts which is both
standalone and integrated into GMail, Google Voice, Google Calendar and
Google Talk, plus it syncs using a free MS Exchange account with most
mobile devices. I mention this as an associate spent a major amount of
time trying to move to windows live with his contacts to both use it and
support windows 7/windows live but, after huge frustrations he had
trying to get it set up followed by a very painless day getting him set
up with google contacts, he switched.

Beverly Howard