From: YouKnowWho on
Bought a new computer [tablet] today .. It is the Lenovo X200 with
Multi-Touch .. Going to sell my HP Tablet, about 1 year old and I forget
what model .. Recently, a month ago maybe, I bought Windows 7 Ultimate ..
The Lenovo comes with Vista. I was hoping to get an answer without having to
try and contact Microsoft, how I can transfer my software registration to
the new computer and then Vista restore the HP ?? Is that possible ?? Spent
too much money on Windows 7 for just one month of use !!

--
Diane Whatever from my HP TouchSmart

From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 20:47:14 -0500, "YouKnowWho(a)YouKnowWhere"
<omigosh(a)nother.com.puter> wrote:

>Bought a new computer [tablet] today .. It is the Lenovo X200 with
>Multi-Touch .. Going to sell my HP Tablet, about 1 year old and I forget
>what model .. Recently, a month ago maybe, I bought Windows 7 Ultimate ..
>The Lenovo comes with Vista. I was hoping to get an answer without having to
>try and contact Microsoft, how I can transfer my software registration to
>the new computer and then Vista restore the HP ?? Is that possible ?? Spent
>too much money on Windows 7 for just one month of use !!

Reinstall Vista on your HP, install Win7 on your X200. That's it. Of
course, you can not move your Lenovo Vista to HP. OEM licenses are
for the computer that came with only.

Registration doesn't lock your Windows install to your computer,
you're just registering that you bought the product with MS>

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
From: Sven on
Activation however does tie a copy to a piece of hardware. It is not
uncommon to make some significant changes to a box and be prompted to
re-activate. That said, do what you want. Restore the earlier machine to the
factory install, load your Win 7 on the new machine and see what happens.
The worst that might happen is that it won't activate normally and provide
you a number to call. That is MS activation support. Explain your situation
and they will walk you through fixing it. They are very accomodating, and
pleasant any time I have dealt with them.

From: diane on

"Sven" <sejohannsen(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Activation however does tie a copy to a piece of hardware. It is not
> uncommon to make some significant changes to a box and be prompted to
> re-activate. That said, do what you want. Restore the earlier machine to
> the factory install, load your Win 7 on the new machine and see what
> happens. The worst that might happen is that it won't activate normally
> and provide you a number to call. That is MS activation support. Explain
> your situation and they will walk you through fixing it. They are very
> accomodating, and pleasant any time I have dealt with them.
>
> "Steve Jain [MVP]" <noreply.-@-.essjae.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 20:47:14 -0500, "YouKnowWho(a)YouKnowWhere"
>> <omigosh(a)nother.com.puter> wrote:
>>
>>>Bought a new computer [tablet] today .. It is the Lenovo X200 with
>>>Multi-Touch .. Going to sell my HP Tablet, about 1 year old and I forget
>>>what model .. Recently, a month ago maybe, I bought Windows 7 Ultimate
>>>..
>>>The Lenovo comes with Vista. I was hoping to get an answer without having
>>>try and contact Microsoft, how I can transfer my software registration to
>>>the new computer and then Vista restore the HP ?? Is that possible ??
>>>Spent
>>>too much money on Windows 7 for just one month of use !!
>>
>> Reinstall Vista on your HP, install Win7 on your X200. That's it. Of
>> course, you can not move your Lenovo Vista to HP. OEM licenses are
>> for the computer that came with only.
>>
>> Registration doesn't lock your Windows install to your computer,
>> you're just registering that you bought the product with MS>
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP
>> http://vpc.essjae.com/
>> http://smudj.wordpress.com/

Thanks ... I installed Windows 7 on the Lenovo .. a fresh install .. I
skipped past the registration because I wasn't online at the time.
Everything went smooth. The MAIN thing I like about Win7 is the handwriting
... the main thing I will miss is Windows Mail .. is it still
there ?? I don't like Outlook 2007 and I *** HATE *** outlook 2010 ... Good
grief .. did they just create that upgrade to beat up the
user ??? All this jumping around from windows to windows to menu to ribbon
... I was looking for "undo" I think and eventually gave
up and started all over .. I have been using Outlook since the beginning of
time .. When they came out with 2007 I began using
Microsoft Mail and I love it !!! The more I used it, the more I liked it ..
With my new computer I installed 2010 once again .. I will
give it a try for a short while .. In the meantime .. Is Windows Mail buried
in Win7 ?? I thought I saw it once on my other computer.

Diane

From: Geoff Coupe on
"diane" <omigosh(a)nother.com.puter> wrote in message

> Is Windows Mail buried in Win7 ?? I thought I saw it once on my other
> computer.

Windows Mail was shipped with Vista as the successor to Outlook Express.
However, Microsoft has now scrapped both Outlook Express and Windows Mail in
favour of Windows Live Mail, which is part of the Windows Live Essentials
suite of applications.

Windows Live Mail is actually pretty good, I don't miss Outlook Express,
Outlook or Windows Mail at all.

You can get Windows Live Mail here: http://download.live.com