From: B. Alexander on
Amen to that! IMHO, vmware merely pays lip service to Linux. 12 years ago,
when we were using Linux on the job, we (and many, many others) were asking
for a Linux client. We are now at VSphere 4, and still only windows clients.

VMware server is even worse. It runs on Linux, and it worked okay, but you
are frozen in time -- no updates -- lest you break your install. I did that
on my vmware server installation, and then I upgraded. I could not get the
vmware modules to compile on a reasonably modern kernel. So I went back to
an earlier kernel (2.6.30, iirc), and once I got the modules compiled, the
web interface only worked about one time in 3. So I am pretty much done with
vmware.

Now, since I only have 32 bit machines, I guess I'll be doing Xen, since as
good as it is, VBox is good for desktop-type virtualization, rather than
machine consolidation. Even with it's vboxheadless functionality, its still
a bit too dodgy for a group of machines that need to stay up.

--b

From: Mark Allums on
On 4/24/2010 4:27 PM, Andreas Weber wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
>> Except for USB the package virtualbox-ose in Debian will meet all your
>> requirements. (OSE stands for Open Source Edition)
>>
>> If USB is a must you can use the repos from Sun (the USB stuff is
>> non-free).
>
> If USB is a must, stick the device in, mount it and open a shared folder
> in Virtualbox OSE on the mount point for it. That easy.

That works on disk-like devices, not so much on other things. Some
people are scared of shared folders as possible attack vectors, thus
security risks.

MAA

Mark Allums wrote:
> That works on disk-like devices, not so much on other things. Some
> people are scared of shared folders as possible attack vectors, thus
> security risks.

This is absolutely correct, my answer was too shortsighted, sorry for that.

I must confess that for the last 2 years I only had the VM with XP up
and running for some very old software, and data + printing from it was
all it took. And all other real-life problems work so great with Debian
- why bother? ;-)

From: Andrei Popescu on
On Sat,24.Apr.10, 23:27:03, Andreas Weber wrote:

> If USB is a must, stick the device in, mount it and open a shared folder
> in Virtualbox OSE on the mount point for it. That easy.

The only time I had to setup the non-OSE version was due to the iPhone
not being properly supported on Linux :|

Regards,
Andrei
On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 12:44:21PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Fri,23.Apr.10, 09:31:45, Richard Lawrence wrote:
> >
> > I am looking to run some virtual machines for personal use: I'd like
> > I value:
> > - free over non-free
> > - ease of use and good documentation over performance
> > - installation via apt and reasonable default configuration
> > - simple networking on commodity hardware
> > - other basic integration with host OS services (perhaps file sharing,
> > USB, printing)
>
> Except for USB the package virtualbox-ose in Debian will meet all your
> requirements. (OSE stands for Open Source Edition)
>
> If USB is a must you can use the repos from Sun (the USB stuff is
> non-free).

There's also this, although I've never tried it myself. USB over IP:

http://usbip.sourceforge.net/

-Rob