From: Hugo Vanwoerkom on
Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 04/25/2010 09:39 PM, John Hasler wrote:
>> Glenn English writes:
>>> A Lisp OS!!???
>>
>> Pikers.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisp_machine>
>>
>>> I once worked at a place where they claimed to have written an
>>> accounting package in BASIC.
>>
>> I used a commercial accounting package written in BASIC. Worked fine.
>
> Snot-nosed kids never heard of Business BASIC or MAI Basic-4, or know
> the sublime beauty of COBOL written by masters of the craft.

Used LISP for years at IBM Research

Hugo

B. Alexander wrote:
> Amen to that! IMHO, vmware merely pays lip service to Linux. 12 years
> ago, when we were using Linux on the job, we (and many, many others)
> were asking for a Linux client. We are now at VSphere 4, and still only
> windows clients.
>
> VMware server is even worse. It runs on Linux, and it worked okay, but
> you are frozen in time -- no updates -- lest you break your install. I
> did that on my vmware server installation, and then I upgraded. I could
> not get the vmware modules to compile on a reasonably modern kernel. So
> I went back to an earlier kernel (2.6.30, iirc), and once I got the
> modules compiled, the web interface only worked about one time in 3. So
> I am pretty much done with vmware.
>
> Now, since I only have 32 bit machines, I guess I'll be doing Xen, since
> as good as it is, VBox is good for desktop-type virtualization, rather
> than machine consolidation. Even with it's vboxheadless functionality,
> its still a bit too dodgy for a group of machines that need to stay up.
>
> --b
>
> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601(a)care2.com
> <mailto:hvw59601(a)care2.com>> wrote:
>
> Mark Allums wrote:
>
> On 4/23/2010 11:31 AM, Richard Lawrence wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>

> P.S. Apologies if this question seems too far off-topic for
> debian-user. If there's a better place to ask this
> question, I'd like
> to know that, too.
>

> Virtualbox meets more of your individual criteria than anything
> else I can think of, but the open source edition lacks USB. I
> would consider the non-OSE version for now, but only if I were
> prepared to migrate to something else, later, depending on what
> Oracle may choose to to with it, now that they own Sun.
>
> Some version of QEMU with KVM will always work, but you
> definitely need the KVM bits, because by itself QEMU is not a
> speed demon.
>
> I enjoy Xen-like hypervisors from an aesthetics point-of-view,
> but the best ones are not free in any sense. Microsoft's
> Hyper-V flat-out costs money, and VMware's ESXi comes with too
> much baggage. Xen itself is still in a state of flux, and
> though the 2.6.32 kernel version is much more stable than
> previous versions, I wouldn't call it ready for prime time.
>

> And I am getting tired of always having to look around for fixes to
> VMware's server whenever you upgrade your kernel, it appears their
> Linux attention leaves something to be desired.

Except... what works very nice in VMware is the NAT and Host Only
network setups: works out of the box. You share your home dir thru
samba. On XP all I had to setup was a netuse * to mount a net fs. Do the
others do it that easy?

Hugo

On 4/26/10 8:35 AM, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Used LISP for years at IBM Research

No, no, no. Lisp is a perfectly fine language. There are just others
more suited for systems work.

--
Glenn English
ghe(a)slsware.com

ghe wrote:
> On 4/26/10 8:35 AM, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>
>> Used LISP for years at IBM Research
>
> No, no, no. Lisp is a perfectly fine language. There are just others
> more suited for systems work.
As someone else pointed out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisp_machine

There have been more than one machines built - both academic and
commercial - that ran LISP environments on bare metal. Great environments.

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Except... what works very nice in VMware is the NAT and Host Only
> network setups: works out of the box. You share your home dir thru
> samba. On XP all I had to setup was a netuse * to mount a net fs. Do the
> others do it that easy?

Yes [1]. VBox even has kernel additions which implement shared directories
over a specialized interface with a virtual filesystem (vboxfs) [2].

> Hugo

QEMU and Xen might not be as straightforward for a desktop end-user, but
their users certainly won't find it difficult.

-thib

[1] http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch06.html
[2] http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#sharedfolders