From: John Navas on
On Fri, 21 May 2010 16:08:53 -0600, Tony Hwang <dragon40(a)shaw.ca> wrote
in <_vDJn.17516$rE4.8101(a)newsfe15.iad>:

>> Which just screams out how pathetic a 'client base' he's got. Seriously.

'Those who have evidence will present their evidence,
whereas those who do not have evidence will attack the man.'

>Hmmm,
>I am only an amateur and always careful with any f/w. I have been using
>dd-wrt from the days of WRT54G and I am on E3000(=WRT610N-V2) now.
>Isn't this a case of expert bungling?(maybe in a case of haste)

Depends on what you mean by bungling and by haste.
I used the recommended firmware, and I tested for roughly an hour, which
was both reasonable in my professional opinion and all I could justify
on this small a low-end job. The issue was a result of my tests not
catching the particular failure mode, but it's not possible to test
everything, and I concentrated on stress tests, not basic operation.
My mistake was in assuming DD-WRT wouldn't be so incompetent or
irresponsible (take your pick) as to keep recommending a release many
months after it has been found to be bad.
This says much more about DD-WRT than about anything else.
--
Best regards,
John

"Assumption is the mother of all screw ups."
[Wethern�s Law of Suspended Judgement]
From: seaweedsl on
I have been using DD-WRT for years and I can confirm that it just
keeps getting more complicated to go grab the version you need for a
router, especially a Broadcom based one. With two (or more )
differnet SETs of releases for dozens of devices, it's easy to end up
with a version that has known problems, but fixed something or
another, so they keep it out there.

And yes searching and reading posts for an hours or two will help
assure success. Especially if you find the right thread and follow
the right advice by the right guy.

On the positive side, they now have a wizard for directing you to the
correct version for your router. I can't tell how accurate it is in
general, but at least it's done by the powers in charge. As somebody
said, the Wiki is open for anybody to insert bad info into.

For the routers that can use it, Tomato is an excellant alternative
firmware. Clean simple, a few key features, works.

Steve

From: John Navas on
On Tue, 25 May 2010 08:42:59 -0700 (PDT), seaweedsl
<seaweedsteve(a)gmail.com> wrote in
<58310238-dce0-464d-9750-b464f60fa5d4(a)h37g2000pra.googlegroups.com>:

> I have been using DD-WRT for years and I can confirm that it just
>keeps getting more complicated to go grab the version you need for a
>router, especially a Broadcom based one. With two (or more )
>differnet SETs of releases for dozens of devices, it's easy to end up
>with a version that has known problems, but fixed something or
>another, so they keep it out there.
>
>And yes searching and reading posts for an hours or two will help
>assure success. Especially if you find the right thread and follow
>the right advice by the right guy.
>
>On the positive side, they now have a wizard for directing you to the
>correct version for your router. I can't tell how accurate it is in
>general, but at least it's done by the powers in charge. As somebody
>said, the Wiki is open for anybody to insert bad info into.

Actually a negative, since that's what's handing out the bad information
on what release to use! And the "powers in charge" (brainslayer and/or
whoever else they might be) don't seem to give a shitte.

>For the routers that can use it, Tomato is an excellant alternative
>firmware. Clean simple, a few key features, works.

I may well give it a try.
--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://wireless.navas.us>
John FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi>
From: Bill Kearney on
> For the routers that can use it, Tomato is an excellant alternative
> firmware. Clean simple, a few key features, works.

eh, the UI was rather lacking in setting up what little features the
firmware offered. Yes, it's an option but one I didn't see as worthwhile
for situations where dd-wrt works.