From: Angel on
Help needed,

I have a question: Background: I have a machine with 98SE operating system.
My software is 32 bit: example Office '97, Adobe 6, Corel Word Perfect 2000.
I am planning to buy a new computer in the near future. I would like to know
if I can use my software on a Win7-64 bit machine or do I need a Win7-64
bit. machine, or won't they work on neither of them. I also have a Flash
drive 1.1 that I am backing up my files and will be transferring them to a
new machine.

Thank you in advance,

Angel

From: Jeff Gaines on
On 15/01/2010 in message <OTMwtHalKHA.2592(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl> Angel
wrote:

>Help needed,
>
>I have a question: Background: I have a machine with 98SE operating system.
>My software is 32 bit: example Office '97, Adobe 6, Corel Word Perfect
>2000.
>I am planning to buy a new computer in the near future. I would like to
>know
>if I can use my software on a Win7-64 bit machine or do I need a Win7-64
>bit. machine, or won't they work on neither of them. I also have a Flash
>drive 1.1 that I am backing up my files and will be transferring them to a
>new machine.

Pretty well all 32 bit programs will run on 64 bit Windows. No 16 bit
programs will run, they are pretty rare but some 32 bit programs have 16
bit installers. Autoroute Express v4 is an example of a program that won't
run (it's about the same age as Office 97).

You will probably get separate answers for the programs you mention - I
can confirm that Office 97 installs and runs but you won't be able to
apply SR2 as it attempts to update a system font and the OS won't let it.

I haven't used the other programs you mention.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.
From: Carlos on
Angel,
32-bit software will usually work fine on a 64-bit machine as long as:
1.- It doesn't need to install a 32-bit driver and/or
2.- It doesn't have a 16 bit installer
Carlos

From: David Kerber on
In article <xn0gp637y6vdi4j000(a)msnews.microsoft.com>,
jgaines_newsid(a)yahoo.co.uk says...

> On 15/01/2010 in message <OTMwtHalKHA.2592(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl> Angel
> wrote:
>
> >Help needed,
> >
> >I have a question: Background: I have a machine with 98SE operating system.
> >My software is 32 bit: example Office '97, Adobe 6, Corel Word Perfect
> >2000.
> >I am planning to buy a new computer in the near future. I would like to
> >know
> >if I can use my software on a Win7-64 bit machine or do I need a Win7-64
> >bit. machine, or won't they work on neither of them. I also have a Flash
> >drive 1.1 that I am backing up my files and will be transferring them to a
> >new machine.
>
> Pretty well all 32 bit programs will run on 64 bit Windows. No 16 bit
> programs will run, they are pretty rare but some 32 bit programs have 16
> bit installers. Autoroute Express v4 is an example of a program that won't
> run (it's about the same age as Office 97).

Office 97 installs and runs fine on Win7 x64; I just did it last week.

From: R. C. White on
Hi, Angel.

I can echo what the others have said: Almost all 32-bit software will work
fine in Win7 x64.

> My software is 32 bit: example Office '97, Adobe 6, Corel Word Perfect
> 2000.

Adobe 6 WHAT? Adobe makes many products. I've been running their Photoshop
Elements versions 3, 4, 6 and now 8; 4 and 6 ran on Vista x64, 6 and 8 run
fine on Win7 Ultimate x64.

Adobe's Flash Player is one of the few apps that give me a problem, and
Adobe is well aware of it. Win7 x64 comes with TWO versions of IE8, the
32-bit version and the 64-bit version; the 32-bit version runs by default.
Flash will not run in a 64-bit browser, but it works fine in the 32-bit IE8
in 64-bit Windows.

WordPerfect was my favorite word processor 20 years ago, before I switched
to Microsoft Word, and I loved the Calendar in the WP Library suite. But
that calendar won't run in 64-bit Windows, so I had to leave it behind when
I moved to Vista x64.

But MOST of your software will move to Win7 x64 with no problems at all.
;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA