From: Daves Spam on
The windows logon is for when you log back into Windows not when FIRST
starting Windows as I already tried that.

From: Daves Spam on
As far as I can remember all versions of Windows back to Win95 had a startup
sound that could be simply changed on the same screen as any other sound
including Vista. Only reason I can think for changing this is to speed up
point my Win 7 loads slower than my Vista did that I replaced and my Win 7
with all the same stuff loaded as my Vista Ult. 64 had it was possible to
load Vista in less then 1 min. 30 sec. compared to now of just over 2 min.
and my backup of Win 7 is 75 gigs compared to last backup of Vista at 167
gigs.

From: Tom on
Forgive me if I seem daft to your words. When you turn on your PC and you
get to the Windows splash screen, right before you would click on your logon
name, you would hear a Windows sound. Is that the sound you mean?

From: Tom on
I don't think that simply changing the sound would speed up things. Since
you have Windows 7 installed, you may have other items starting up that you
may have had disabled, or not start up when you used Vista.. On my previous
PC, which had 2gig memory, a P4 32.gig CPU with Vista, I would boot up in
less than 30 seconds, but I had that system tweaked with virtually nothing
to get to Windows up. What are your system specs?

I just finished building my current PC a few weeks ago, and it boots up in
about 15 seconds, here's what I have:

Windows 7 64bit
CPU: i7 950
Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme
Memory: 12gb G-Skill DDR3 1333mhz
Graphics Cards: Sapphire Radeon 5870 x 2
PSU: Silverstone T1000 1000w
Hard Drives: Intel X25-M 160Gb Solid State Drive & WD Black 1TB HDD

From: Daves Spam on
I don't have a logon so mine goes right into windows with the little windows
chime that comes standard. There is a place in the sound settings for
windows logon which is where after already being in windows you log off and
log back in you can have it play your wav file at that point. I have been
doing some goggling and in Win7 you have to do a bunch of major/miner work
to hack the system to change the windows MAIN start wav file. At this point
I think I will wait it out as somewhere along the line either Microsoft will
fix it or someone will write a program to make it easier to fix ourselves.

> Forgive me if I seem daft to your words. When you turn on your PC and you
> get to the Windows splash screen, right before you would click on your
> logon name, you would hear a Windows sound. Is that the sound you mean?
>
> "Daves Spam" <dmathews9587(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>> The windows logon is for when you log back into Windows not when FIRST
>> starting Windows as I already tried that.
>>
>> "Tom" <noway(a)nothere.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> "Daves Spam" <dmathews9587(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I guess it depends on what sound file you want to use, but you can use
>>> anyone you please as long as it is a *.wav file. Open "Sound" in the
>>> Control panel, then click the "Sounds" tab and select the "Windows
>>> Logon" sound (there's no longer a "Startup" anymore, but this is the
>>> same thing now) . After selecting that, click the "Browse" button, and
>>> go to the directory of the sound you want to use, select it, check the
>>> box "Play Windows Startup sound" and apply and you're good to go. You
>>> can test it while you're there as well.
>>>
>>> If you need to make the file, there are free programs that will convert
>>> MP3s, etc into WAV files for use. One thing that is kind of a bummer is
>>> that Windows 7 no longer has the Sound recorder that can save sounds as
>>> wav file, it only does recording now. I've tried copying the previous
>>> version of sound recorder from XP-Pro or my old Win98/ME disc, and they
>>> won't take.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Win 7 x64 XP mode problem