From: Daves Spam on
On the past few versions of Windows I have always had a custom wav. file
play when Windows start. I have looked high and low but can't find the
window start on the sound menu. There is windows logon which I tried and it
only works after I log off and back on. I want to play my wav. file when
Win7 boots. Can it be done?

From: Carlos on
Daves,
Not very straightforward:
http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/22429-how-change-windows-7-startup-sound.html
Carlos

From: Tom on

"Daves Spam" <dmathews9587(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> On the past few versions of Windows I have always had a custom wav. file
> play when Windows start. I have looked high and low but can't find the
> window start on the sound menu. There is windows logon which I tried and
> it only works after I log off and back on. I want to play my wav. file
> when Win7 boots. Can it be done?

I guess it depends on what sound file you want to use, but you can use
anyone you please as long as it is a *.wav file. Open "Sound" in the Control
panel, then click the "Sounds" tab and select the "Windows Logon" sound
(there's no longer a "Startup" anymore, but this is the same thing now) .
After selecting that, click the "Browse" button, and go to the directory of
the sound you want to use, select it, check the box "Play Windows Startup
sound" and apply and you're good to go. You can test it while you're there
as well.

If you need to make the file, there are free programs that will convert
MP3s, etc into WAV files for use. One thing that is kind of a bummer is
that Windows 7 no longer has the Sound recorder that can save sounds as wav
file, it only does recording now. I've tried copying the previous version of
sound recorder from XP-Pro or my old Win98/ME disc, and they won't take.

From: "Dave "Crash" Dummy" on
Tom wrote:

> "Daves Spam" <dmathews9587(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On the past few versions of Windows I have always had a custom wav.
>> file play when Windows start. I have looked high and low but
>> can't find the window start on the sound menu. There is windows
>> logon which I tried and it only works after I log off and back on.
>> I want to play my wav. file when Win7 boots. Can it be done?
>
> I guess it depends on what sound file you want to use, but you can
> use anyone you please as long as it is a *.wav file. Open "Sound" in
> the Control panel, then click the "Sounds" tab and select the
> "Windows Logon" sound (there's no longer a "Startup" anymore, but
> this is the same thing now) . After selecting that, click the
> "Browse" button, and go to the directory of the sound you want to
> use, select it, check the box "Play Windows Startup sound" and apply
> and you're good to go. You can test it while you're there as well.

Wrong. The "logon" sound and the "startup" sound are not the same thing.
The startup sound is hardwired into the imageres.dll file and can only
be changed by editing that file, as per the instructions posted by Carlos.
http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/22429-how-change-windows-7-startup-sound.html

--
Crash

Committed to the search for intraterrestrial intelligence.
From: Tom on

"Dave "Crash" Dummy" <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> Tom wrote:
>>

>> "Daves Spam" <dmathews9587(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> On the past few versions of Windows I have always had a custom wav.
>>> file play when Windows start. I have looked high and low but
>>> can't find the window start on the sound menu. There is windows
>>> logon which I tried and it only works after I log off and back on.
>>> I want to play my wav. file when Win7 boots. Can it be done?
>>
>> I guess it depends on what sound file you want to use, but you can
>> use anyone you please as long as it is a *.wav file. Open "Sound" in
>> the Control panel, then click the "Sounds" tab and select the
>> "Windows Logon" sound (there's no longer a "Startup" anymore, but
>> this is the same thing now) . After selecting that, click the
>> "Browse" button, and go to the directory of the sound you want to
>> use, select it, check the box "Play Windows Startup sound" and apply
>> and you're good to go. You can test it while you're there as well.
>
> Wrong. The "logon" sound and the "startup" sound are not the same thing.
> The startup sound is hardwired into the imageres.dll file and can only
> be changed by editing that file, as per the instructions posted by Carlos.
> http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/22429-how-change-windows-7-startup-sound.html
>
> --
> Crash
>
> Committed to the search for intraterrestrial intelligence.

Do you mean the sound (like a little beep) one hears when it gets to the
logon screen, before actually getting into Windows? If so, then I am
completely wrong. I do know that there was a startup sound in previous
versions of Windows (unsure of Vista).

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Win 7 x64 XP mode problem