From: Scott on
I have learnt that Windows 64-bit has better performance. I am going to
have a new computer and would like to know if I should select 32-bit or
64-bit OS. If I select 64-bit OS, do I need to buy all application software
for 64-bit in order to have better performance. Can someone give me
guidance the pro and con for choosing 64-bit OS.

Thanks,

Scott

From: Jeff Gaines on
On 26/12/2009 in message <C75C0F45.8D66%NoSpam-Scott.Xe(a)gmail.com> Scott
wrote:

>I have learnt that Windows 64-bit has better performance. I am going to
>have a new computer and would like to know if I should select 32-bit or
>64-bit OS. If I select 64-bit OS, do I need to buy all application
>software
>for 64-bit in order to have better performance. Can someone give me
>guidance the pro and con for choosing 64-bit OS.

There is no performance difference between running 32 bit programs on
Win7-32 or Win7-64.

There are very few 64 bit programs around, you can probably count them on
the fingers of one hand.

What you absolutely must check is if 64 bit drivers exist for all your
hardware. Some manufacturers see 64 bit as an opportunity to force us to
upgrade our hardware.

Subject to that you can use a lot more memory in Win7-64 and if you do
install lots of memory that may mean that you end up with a more
responsive machine when switching between programs.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is
From: mikeyhsd on
generally all 32 bit programs work on 64 bit os.
there are a few exceptions.
like flash for example. but there are easy work arounds.

getting a new computer there is less worry about proper drivers for the hardware.

you can always check with the individual program makers to see if they have a 64 bit version.

mikeyhsd(a)hotmail.com

From: Tom on

"Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have learnt that Windows 64-bit has better performance. I am going to
> have a new computer and would like to know if I should select 32-bit or
> 64-bit OS. If I select 64-bit OS, do I need to buy all application
> software
> for 64-bit in order to have better performance. Can someone give me
> guidance the pro and con for choosing 64-bit OS.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

If you are building the PC yourself, you would want to make sure the
hardware would be 64 compatible, most are now anyway, especially the CPUs.
If you're having it built, it should be put together as such, just be sure
to see the components list on the configuration beofre finalizing any
order..

From: "Dave "Crash" Dummy" on
Scott wrote:
> I have learnt that Windows 64-bit has better performance. I am going
> to have a new computer and would like to know if I should select
> 32-bit or 64-bit OS. If I select 64-bit OS, do I need to buy all
> application software for 64-bit in order to have better performance.
> Can someone give me guidance the pro and con for choosing 64-bit OS.

While 64 bit systems run into problems with other programs that haven't
caught up, yet, 64 bit is the Wave of the Future. Microsoft has dealt
with the 32 bit compatibility problem by including examples of both in
its 64 bit system. Using the 32 bit Internet Explorer will take care of
a lot of problems. If you are buying or building a new computer, it
makes sense to install the most advanced and forward looking system.

--
Crash

"Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down."
~ Robert Frost ~
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: separate partition