From: R. C. White on
Hi, Richard.

As I've reported before - and you may have seen - sometimes RAM that passes
all the tests can still fail.

When I built my computer at the end of 2006, I put in 2 x 1 GB OCZ PC-6400
DIMMs. That ran Vista Ultimate x64 just fine for a year. Then I added 2
more identical sticks and it ran with 4 GB for about 6 months. Then, last
year, the computer started producing BSODs. Since the Stop codes varied
randomly, I knew the problem was in hardware, not software, and I suspected
memory problems. The RAM passed all my tests and those run by my local
computer shop, but we got flaky results with one of the newer sticks was
installed. I ran with 3 GB for a few months, then I contacted OCZ and the
tech had me return BOTH new sticks so that they could test them as a matched
pair. OCZ RMAed both sticks - and I've had no problem in the several months
since then.

So, even when RAM passes all the field tests, there might still be a problem
that only the manufacturer can fix.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

From: John Whitworth on

"R. C. White" <rc(a)grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Richard.
>
> As I've reported before - and you may have seen - sometimes RAM that
> passes all the tests can still fail.

But even so, it's a simple and cost effective step to start with Memtest86.

JW

From: John Whitworth on

"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The hardware tester stress tests the RAM at a higher operating voltage and
> a lower operating voltage - something that can not be done while the RAM
> is in the computer.

Surely by testing it at different voltages, it is going to have different
results to when it is in the computer. So Memtest86 doesn't stand a chance
of picking that up - and why would it? Memtest86 is simply trying to see if
there is a problem - in that computer - with the current settings.

The hardware stress tester sounds great to me if you want to make sure that
memory is going to survive extreme temperatures or overclocking etc.

But whichever way you look at it, Memtest86 is an ideal first check,
screening out a lot of simple-to-find problems.

JW

From: Richard Urban on
How about "normal" voltage variations from the computers power supply.

I have seen few darn computers with an honest 12 volts, 5 volts and 3.3
volts. Many supplies are +- 10% of the stated voltage. Marginal RAM may
begin faulting under those conditions. If you are lucky the voltage will be
low/high when you run the software memory test programs and you will pick up
on the condition.

From: David B. on
Or you can just plug the supply into a power supply tester which is far
cheaper than memory testing hardware. Why would you be worrying about the
RAM passing or failing if your power supply is so far out of spec?