From: John A. Sullivan III on
On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 07:25 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 2010-04-15 04:56, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> > Hello, all. We've installed acroread 8.1.7-0.1 from debian-multimedia.
> > It is not seeing any of the printers on our cups print server. It just
> > shows the custom lpr printer. How do we get it to see our printers like
> > all the other applications in our KDE setup do? We are running Lenny +
> > backports. Thanks - John
> >

> Semi-OT from your question, but v8.1.7 is *really* old. Make that
> really *REALLY* old. If you're running Stable and that's what's in
> the Stable repos, then remove it an go directly to adobe to get the
> latest version.
<snip>
I thought about doing that but it looks like the only deb is a 32 bit
one and we are running 64 bit :(

On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 13:05 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 07:40:47 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 10:35 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> >> Mmmm, IIRC you have to leave the default command as is (/usr/bin/lpr)
> >> and select a default printer in KDE.
> >>
> >> Acrobat should print for the default printer.
> >>
> > While googling around, I did see a page which suggested I should be able
> > to see my printers
> > (http://blogs.adobe.com/acroread/2009/06/
> printing_with_adobe_reader_the.html).
>
> Mmmm, that article says something about "env" variables:
>
> ***
> Environment Variables
>
> Make sure that LID_LIBRARY_PATH points to the location for libcups and
> also CUPS lp and lpr are in PATH.
>
> When you invoke the print dialog using Control+P, all the printers
> configured show up in the Printer Name dropdown.
> ***
>
> I'm not sure how to check this in Debian, maybe someone else can give you
> a hint on this :-)
<snip>
Thanks. I tried setting LID_LIBRARY_PATH and I know the binaries are in
the path but it didn't help :(

John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 07:25 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 2010-04-15 04:56, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>>> Hello, all. We've installed acroread 8.1.7-0.1 from debian-multimedia.
>>> It is not seeing any of the printers on our cups print server. It just
>>> shows the custom lpr printer. How do we get it to see our printers like
>>> all the other applications in our KDE setup do? We are running Lenny +
>>> backports. Thanks - John
>>>
>> Semi-OT from your question, but v8.1.7 is *really* old. Make that
>> really *REALLY* old. If you're running Stable and that's what's in
>> the Stable repos, then remove it an go directly to adobe to get the
>> latest version.
> <snip>
> I thought about doing that but it looks like the only deb is a 32 bit
> one and we are running 64 bit :(

Acroread has not worked on my amd64 box in over 4 months.

You might want to try the epdfview package. Othen then not being able
to reverse print, it is as good as acroread *was*.

Wayne

On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 05:56 -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> Hello, all. We've installed acroread 8.1.7-0.1 from debian-multimedia.
> It is not seeing any of the printers on our cups print server. It just
> shows the custom lpr printer. How do we get it to see our printers like
> all the other applications in our KDE setup do? We are running Lenny +
> backports. Thanks - John

Do you have cups-bsd installed? I'm not sure but acroread may need that.

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 10:08:42 -0400
Wayne <linuxtwo(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Wayne,

> Acroread has not worked on my amd64 box in over 4 months.

Stable, testing or Sid?

I ask since it works here (amd64) in testing. Version of acroread is
9.3.1

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Well I don't want you to think I'm being obscene
Fish - The Damned